Tariff & Smart Meter — Bulb Community

Tariff & Smart Meter

I am a new customer yet I have been told that I have to give smart meter readings monthly, surely Bulb can access this without me doing this especially that I have memory problems, I have also noticed that they have a different Tariff that clear states that they can take readings from a Smart Meter every half an hour, not ok to blatantly be dishonest with a new customer. I think I will make further enquiries

Comments

• I am a new customer yet I have been told that I have to give smart meter readings monthly, surely Bulb can access this without me doing

It's well known and publicised that older "SMETS1" smart meters lose their ability to upload readings when switching supplier. For now you'll have to submit meter readings manually, as you used to do before getting a smart meter. You'll get monthly reminder emails when the readings are due. Later this year, many SMETS1 meters will start working again following software upgrades, and if your meter is unfortunately still one that can't be read then it'll be replaced with a new SMETS2 meter.

I have also noticed that they have a different Tariff that clear states that they can take readings from a Smart Meter every half an hour, not ok to blatantly be dishonest with a new customer

There's no dishonesty. The information on the smart tariff trial given here clearly states that you need a compatible meter and they'll check your meter when you try to switch to the tariff from the default vari-fair.
  • I was told last December that my SMETS1 meters are DCC-supported and therefore should be readable by Bulb. I therefore switched to Bulb. After a wait of several weeks, they eventually told me that they cannot read my meters! I have asked whether this implies faulty meters, as there is no doubt they are on the DCC list. As neither my wife nor I can access the meters, we will probably have to reverse our switch, as Shell Energy (formerly First:Utility) were getting readings from our meters for the past two years with no difficulty.
  • My IHD appears to be working but does not have any tariff set, so gives no pricing. I am awaiting comment from Bulb about why they are apparently unable to talk to my SMETS1 meters, before reverting to the previous supplier.
  • @Arthur256, if you can't physically access the meters, Bulb may be able to arrange having them moved as it doesn't sound like they're in a good position. If you can't access them, how could an engineer access them to repair a fault?
  • Engineers tend to have two legs and be (relatively) fit! I have one leg and my wife has problems with bending over in a confined space. It was quite possible when we were younger and Siemens have had no problem changing the meters.
  • My IHD (gas only) is showing a different gas kwh unit rate to the one shown on my dashboard.
  • Is the difference 5%? Depending on where you're looking, you could be seeing the ex-VAT price on the website.
  • No, it's about 8% - 3.62p / kWh on the IHD and 3.35p / kWh on the website.
  • And the 3.35p includes VAT.
  • No, it's about 8% - 3.62p / kWh on the IHD and 3.35p / kWh on the website.

Is the 3.62p the rate prior to the price reduction on 21 March?
  • No, according to my last statement gas was 3.45p / KWh before the price reduction.
  • Ah, 3.45 plus 5% is 3.62 so the 3.62 rate must be the pre-price reduction VAT-inclusive rate. So the IHD, installed 19 March, hasn't been updated to reflect the current rate.
  • Now showing 3.34p / kWh on the IHD compared with 3.35p on the website. Odd that it isn't exactly the same, but I won't quibble over 0.01 of a penny. Still not showing electricity usage though.
  • The rate shown on the tariff page for my post code is different again at 3.345p / kWh. Consistent with the rate on my dashboard having been rounded up from this and the rate on my IHD having been rounded down, contrary to the generally accepted convention. Still no electricity usage on IHD - meter installed 19 March.