Smart meter and Smart tariff — Bulb Community

Smart meter and Smart tariff

I am interested in the new smart 3-rate tariff. I have a smart meter installed by Powergen, but I assume that you cannot use that, and as I understand it you do not yet have your own smart meters.
What do I have to do if I want to use this new tariff?

Comments

• Assuming your Powergen meter is a first generation (SMETS1) meter, Bulb may or may not be able to read it. I gather they can receive readings from about one third of SMETS1 meters. All SMETS1 meters will be enrolled in the new DDC data network over the course of this year and should regain their smart features at some point. If that proves to be impossible for any particular SMETS1 meters, then Bulb will be able to replace those meters with new SMETS2 meters. You'd need to check this with Bulb directly (this is mainly a customer forum).
  • >I gather they can receive readings from about one third of SMETS1 meters.
    Now that's interesting. I guess that it's SMETS1 as it was quite early. I don't understand why the power companies were encouraged to install these meters at the same time as we customers were being encouraged to switch our energy providers. I will ask bulb whether they can use our meter, but I don't hold out too much hope. I have already added my name to their list for new smart meters.