How does Bulb calculate the number of Kwh of Gas used from your meter reading? — Bulb Community

How does Bulb calculate the number of Kwh of Gas used from your meter reading?

I just in the throws of moving to Bulb. I just checked my gas bill from British Gas and they use some formula which includes a calorific value to convert gas units into kWh. Do Bulb use the same formula? If not then what do they use?

Comments

• edited April 11
    Stuart37 said:

I just in the throws of moving to Bulb. I just checked my gas bill from British Gas and they use some formula which includes a calorific value to convert gas units into kWh. Do Bulb use the same formula? If not then what do they use?

Yes all energy suppliers use the same formula. The calorific value however isn't a constant and the formula takes into account whether you have an imperial or metric meter

This is a typical formula (extracted my my recent Bulb bill) if you have a metric meter.

A more details explanation is on this page: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/gas-meter-readings-and-bill-calculation
  • You cheapskate Allanr, mine was 2661 kWh. :)
  • scudo said:

You cheapskate Allanr, mine was 2661 kWh. :)

Not quite a cheapskate, that was an example on my recent statement which didn't in fact include my actual usage. Does your recent statement also use a reading of 100 units (assuming it is a metric meter) to show the example? Having said that I've checked back through about 5 statements since I joined Bulb and their calculation use my actual units used, why the most recent shows a reading much lower than actual is anyone's guess.
  • Looking back at it I must have looked at the wrong month, anyhow based on what you have said I have used 1837 kWh (actual) but the example (at bottom page) shows 1114 kWh.
    Maybe the March price reduction confused their system.
  • Allanr

Many thanks for the explanation.