Good News Maybe?? Big Price Reductions coming soon (Hopefully) — Bulb Community

Good News Maybe?? Big Price Reductions coming soon (Hopefully)

Jan 18 Wholesale price for Gas was 1.4p per Kwh, Current price for Q3 2019 is 1.2p per Kwh.
Bulb Gas price in my region was 2.54p in Jan 18, current price 3.69p.
Even if transmission costs are up, hopefully we should see a substantial decrease in prices soon.

Electricity prices are unlikely to change as we are using more and more expensive Windmills. :(((

Comments

• edited May 8
    @PaulMC12345, electricity prices are significantly affected by the price of gas as we still use a lot of gas in our UK mix (it's used extensively for balancing the grid as the turbines are quick to spin up and power down).

We'll just have to wait and see if Bulb have seen costs go down enough to drop our prices though.

Wind's pretty cheap though: https://www.carbonbrief.org/analysis-uk-auction-offshore-wind-cheaper-than-new-gas
  • wind is free it is the dmaned windmills thast are expensive oiver £1.9milion per windmill it takes over a 1000 to produce enough elecricity just for one street
  • pevans said:

wind is free it is the dmaned windmills thast are expensive oiver £1.9milion per windmill it takes over a 1000 to produce enough elecricity just for one street

What is your source?
  • pevans said:

wind is free it is the dmaned windmills thast are expensive oiver £1.9milion per windmill it takes over a 1000 to produce enough elecricity just for one street

You're just speaking out of your arse here.

We're currently up to at least 8.8MW now which is around 6600 homes per turbine, and these mega turbines are installed in... wait for it... the UK!
    (https://cleantechnica.com/2018/04/25/worlds-largest-9-5-megawatt-wind-turbines-headed-to-northwester-2-offshore-wind-farm/)

They do tend to be a few million pounds when installed, around £1M per MW, but this isn't really a problem.
    For comparison, Hinkley point is now expected to cost £20.3bn. At 3,260MW output this is about £6.2M per MW.
  • pevans said:

This claim is so amazingly ludicrous that I think you have to be joking.

Come on @pevans admit it, it's a poe.
  • AndrewC. It's hard to translate what he's saying, but he does have a point. When the wind isn't blowing a 8MW windmill becomes a useless piece of kit.
  • When wind stops blowing, these "windmills"(!) are indeed going to look like a waste of money.
  • AndrewC. It's hard to translate what he's saying, but he does have a point. When the wind isn't blowing a 8MW windmill becomes a useless piece of kit.

The argument seems to me then to be a bit like saying that solar panels are a waste of time because there's such a thing as night.
  • There's also a reason why they're installed in locations which are reliably pretty windy.
  • I live near three turbines in the midlands and I can say they're very rarely off. Even a small amount of breeze seems to be enough to turn them and it's regularly breezy here.

I would say I only ever see them static one day in a month or so. Obviously I'm not watching them 24 hours a day lol but you would be surprised how little wind they seem to need.