Smart Tariff not (yet) available with SMETS2 smart meters! — Bulb Community

Smart Tariff not (yet) available with SMETS2 smart meters!

Hi,
I had my smart meters fitted a couple of weeks ago. All worked fine with a working in home display as well. I immediately submitted a request on the Bulb website to move to the smart tariff. Kind of logical you'd think after getting the smart meters.

I followed up today as nothing happened after submitting the form - no email, nothing on the account page, etc..

Bulb DO NOT yet support the smart tariff with SMETS2 smart meters!
Apparently the smart tariff is only supported on SMETS1 meters right now, which Bulb aren't even installing.
The supervisor I spoke to (very helpful and knowledgeable) said that Bulb are working towards getting the smart tariff available with the SMETS2 meters, but he can't give a date.

He agreed that there should be clear and prominent wording on the website that before you try and sign-up for the smart tariff that it's not available unless you have a SMETS1 meter. He's feeding this back to the smart meter team. He also agreed that when it is available Bulb should contact all their SMETS2 customers and let them know.

I understand Bulb need time to develop new services given the delays by the smart meter companies, but I really don't understand why they can't clearly explain on the page where you sign-up for the smart meter tariff that it's for SMETS1 only. Also, why this isn't mentioned on the smart meter sign-up page so it's clear the smart meters currently only enable remote meter reads and an IHD.

Comments

• Hi @Solarspider

Thanks for the feedback. We can certainly make this clearer on the website. This feedback has been passed along to our smart team :)

I'm sorry that we're unable to sign you up to the smart tariff straight away. We'd love to get as many of our members on the smart tariff as possible - we'll certainly be in touch when we can get you and others with a SMETS2 sign up to it.

• Hi,
    I had my smart meters fitted a couple of weeks ago. All worked fine with a working in home display as well. I immediately submitted a request on the Bulb website to move to the smart tariff. Kind of logical you'd think after getting the smart meters.

I followed up today as nothing happened after submitting the form - no email, nothing on the account page, etc..

Bulb DO NOT yet support the smart tariff with SMETS2 smart meters!
    Apparently the smart tariff is only supported on SMETS1 meters right now, which Bulb aren't even installing.
    The supervisor I spoke to (very helpful and knowledgeable) said that Bulb are working towards getting the smart tariff available with the SMETS2 meters, but he can't give a date.

He agreed that there should be clear and prominent wording on the website that before you try and sign-up for the smart tariff that it's not available unless you have a SMETS1 meter. He's feeding this back to the smart meter team. He also agreed that when it is available Bulb should contact all their SMETS2 customers and let them know.

I understand Bulb need time to develop new services given the delays by the smart meter companies, but I really don't understand why they can't clearly explain on the page where you sign-up for the smart meter tariff that it's for SMETS1 only. Also, why this isn't mentioned on the smart meter sign-up page so it's clear the smart meters currently only enable remote meter reads and an IHD.

You mean you actually have a fully working IHD and SMETS2 that reports readings back to Bulb? I thought these were the stuff of urban legend! You must be one of the lucky ones. Heaps installed aren’t doing that at all. :(
  • My experience is similar. Previously I was with EON and had a SMETS2 meter fitted and I then wanted to change to a supplier with a Smart tariff so that I could charge my hybrid car overnight cheaply. I couldn't decide between Octopus or Bulb and went for Bulb as I had been a previous Bulb customer. Prior to switching I checked with Bulb customer services that it would be possible to move on to the Smart tariff and was assured that it would work however now I am with them I have struggled to get on it! After lots of chasing I have found out that I can't yet go on to the Smart Tariff and will 'have to wait a few months'. I am going to give it a few months and if I get nowhere switch to Octopus. Shame really as I would rather be with Bulb.
  • I had high hopes for Bulb, but it seems all the “woohoo, how you doing” communication is just a smokescreen. Underneath they are in just as much disarray with smart meters as other companies. Really regretting moving supplier. Their explanations and communications are very poor.
  • Kcbulb said:

I had high hopes for Bulb, but it seems all the “woohoo, how you doing” communication is just a smokescreen. Underneath they are in just as much disarray with smart meters as other companies. Really regretting moving supplier. Their explanations and communications are very poor.

Personally I think far more of the blame can be laid at OFGEM for setting targets with suppliers before the technology was proven. It looks as if OFGEM have buried their head in the sand and ignoring the problems being encountered by customers. At least three of the large suppliers have been fined millions of pounds by OFGEM for not meeting their smart meter installation target. A threat of a possible fine may be the reason Bulb are still installing smart meters even though there are known problems?
  • @Allanr, it makes sense to continue to install the meters if they're confident that a fix can be pushed to them remotely to make them all work properly, but in making that decision they should still be keeping their customers informed.

I do think that Bulb are doing the right thing with going ahead, but they need to manage people's expectations better and perhaps focus on fixing some of the back-end issues such as the one stopping people from manually submitting readings since having a smart meter for example.