Switching to bulb but already have a Smart meter & IHD — Bulb Community

Switching to bulb but already have a Smart meter & IHD

Hi all... I'm currently in my cooling off period from Spark energy & moving to Bulb after a horrendous year with Spark. I had a Smart meter installed back in February and have an IHD unit that, thus far has had no issues in showing me my usage of both Gas and Electricity, in fact, it's been showing everything correctly. I am worried after reading the forums etc that my Smart Meter &/or IHD unit will not do as it should or even work when my switch to Bulb is finalised on 24th May. Has anyone with a Smart Meter & an IHD unit switched to bulb and experienced issues? If so what are they and how are bulb at resolving said issues?
Thank you for your time in reading & any replies.
Kindest regards to you all

Comments

• As far as I am aware the problems are with the industry and not so much Bulb as it would appear all utility companies are having issues. I dont /wont have one but from what I have read it may be a case of submitting manual readings until all gets resolved. (if there are any issues with yours)
  • Has anyone with a Smart Meter & an IHD unit switched to bulb and experienced issues?

Not "issues" as such. The problems related to switching as known and expected.

If you switch to Bulb, your smart meter will most likely lose its ability to automatically upload meter readings. This means you'll have to start submitting manual readings monthly again. Bulb can currently communicate with about 1/3 of existing SMETS1 meters, but the only way to get Bulb to prioritise attempts to talk to your meter is to request to be moved to the "smart tariff" which may not be good for you depending on your usage profile.

This means that while your IHD will still work, the tariff information will be wrong since it will not have been programmed with the Bulb tariff values. You can't update this yourself, it can only be configured by the supplier. The values the IHD gives you in kWh will still be broadly correct but the costs will be calculated incorrectly.

This situation will remain until the end of 2020 when it is expected that all existing smart meters will either regain their smart functionality, or will have been replaced with new SMETS2 meters.
  • edited May 12
    scudo said:

As far as I am aware the problems are with the industry and not so much Bulb as it would appear all utility companies are having issues.

Clearly this is not the case since the OP herself states she's had no issues with her smart meter.

Whilst there are some issues that are industry-wide, the current SMETS2 problems Bulb are having I believe are predominantly due to problems connecting Bulb to the DCC. I'm basing this on the fact that other suppliers are having far fewer problems with their SMETS2 meters so clearly the cenralised systems are at least mostly working!

Bulb are currently advertising for several new software developers with a closing date of June. If we assume 3 months for them to get up to speed with how things are supposed to work, and then another 3 months to actually begin writing and testing code, I'd suggest it's going to be November/December before we start to see any real improvement in the Bulb handling of smart meters.
  • Thank you.