An update on our smart installations — Bulb Community

An update on our smart installations

Hello all,

We've posted a new blog about Bulb's smart meter installations.

As you may have read here on Community, there have been some issues with our smart meter roll out. The blog, posted by Dan in the smart team, has explained what's been happening and what we're doing to fix it.

Got questions about the smart roll out? Post below and we'll do our best to answer.

Comments

• I had my smart meter installed in April and you are still unable to get a gas reading. After initial issues the IHD works fine (including displaying gas usage) and you are obviously getting electric readings but my gas readings are estimates. I am told that this is an issue with the meter details not been added to the system, though they obviously added the electric meter details
    ----
    Hi Chris,

Apologies for the delay in receiving your smart gas readings. It seems like the details of your new meter haven't come into the system yet.

I'll chase this up with our smart team so that they can update it on the account.
    ----

• i want a smart meter fitted
  • i want a smart meter fitted

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSey31A6uvCg03zwfsk6OLGBL_JWR9rceGIG85PqHiJYG31JUA/viewform

But spend some time reading the threads about the experience of other customers before signing up.

• Thanks for keeping us updated. I had understood that there was three separate issues. Did I have that wrong?
    1) IHDs not communicating with the smart meters
    2) Smart meters communicating with the DCC, but the meter readings not appearing on the bulb accounts
    3) Network signal is insufficient for the smart meter to communicate with the DCC.

You covered 1 and 3. But not 2. I believe 2 is distinct from 3 as my IHD used to only get readings from the gas meter but has been updated to also get electricity readings (much appreciated, I have rooftop solar and real time electricity readings have proven very helpful). If there were no communication channels between you and the meter (as indicated in 3) you wouldn't have been able to remotely fix 1.
  • I volunteered for the smart meter trial almost a year ago as soon as I joined bulb. Have you any idea in terms of timescales of where I might be in the queue?
  • I was surprised by the omission of #ThatGuy 's issue no. 2. That is now the only unresolved issue for me - and I suspect quite a few others. Bills are still being based on estimated readings although Bulb have stated explicitly that they are in fact receiving the actual readings but have a problem integrating them with their billing system.
  • I was surprised by the omission of #ThatGuy 's issue no. 2. That is now the only unresolved issue for me - and I suspect quite a few others. Bills are still being based on estimated readings although Bulb have stated explicitly that they are in fact receiving the actual readings but have a problem integrating them with their billing system.

If they comment on that one then they're admitting that for some reason they've still not managed to fix this serious software flaw that has now been present and obvious for over 4 months!
    I accept that the other issues are third party, but Bulb seem to be getting in to a habit of not accepting the blame for things recently.
  • I still have a 1st generation smart meter from my previous supplier. Any idea when you will be able to read this? I was on a pay as you go tarrif and would like to get back on that. (I joined Bulb in 1st May this year.)
  • Andrew_G1 said:

I still have a 1st generation smart meter from my previous supplier. Any idea when you will be able to read this? I was on a pay as you go tarrif and would like to get back on that. (I joined Bulb in 1st May this year.)

You want to unnecessarily pay more for your energy?
  • Hi All,

Had my smart meters fitted on April 11th.
    IHD has been "waiting for data" since then.
    I have been told by bulb that the electricity meter is working and transmitting data, but the gas is not.
    I have submitted gas meter readings as requested.

Just checked my account (June 6th) and there is no record of electricity usage since April 11th, and the gas usage shown is based on the readings I've submitted, so it appears that neither meter is sending any data that is reaching my account.

The only information I've been given was an email over a month ago telling me to try rebooting the IHD near the meters, which I did to no avail, and then a second email telling me that I'd be contacted when a fix had been sorted out.

How long is this supposed to take to fix?
  • @Eleanor at Bulb any update on those of us who appear to have communications between our meters and bulb but are still getting estimated meter readings (my issue 2 from my post earlier)? Perhaps I have misunderstood the issue?
  • I had new smart meters fitted on the 13th May and i have same problem with the IHD in that it wont show gas readings. I too have been told that i have to wait for a fix. Not good. They shouldnt roll these out if they dont work. I have no confidence that i am being billed correctly and considering moving.
  • Total farce Bulb! And they’re still installing them