Why Should Bulb Insist that I am In Credit with them — Bulb Community

Why Should Bulb Insist that I am In Credit with them

I buy my groceries from Sainsbury, I have A smart meter, I am prepared to send monthly readings, so I can pay the correct amount. Sainsbury s do not insist that I keep my money in their account just in case I spend more next moth so why do you?
Is not one of the reasons for a smart meter accurate billing ? Why do you continue to inform me that you do not require readings for the next 3 months then over estimate my next two bills ? Please explain

Comments

• JohnMcG said:

I buy my groceries from Sainsbury, I have A smart meter, I am prepared to send monthly readings, so I can pay the correct amount. Sainsbury s do not insist that I keep my money in their account just in case I spend more next moth so why do you?
    Is not one of the reasons for a smart meter accurate billing ? Why do you continue to inform me that you do not require readings for the next 3 months then over estimate my next two bills ? Please explain

I have to agree there is a conflict in the periodicity of meter readings in some places on Bulb you will see every three months and in other places it is every month. Personally I submit every month as I then receive accurate statements, others including myself have mentioned this to Bulb on previous occassions..

As to an explanation from another customer I fully understood when I joined Bulb that they require payment one month in advance so it didn't come as a surprise to me that they took my first direct debit payment close to my switch date.

It is all explained in this Bulb article: https://help.bulb.co.uk/hc/en-us/articles/115003405632-How-do-Bulb-payments-and-statements-work-
  • A supermarket and an energy company is hardly a fair comparison.
    Shopping is on an "as required" basis, with no commitment on either side.
    An energy company is supplying you 24/7, and presumably you'd like them to be committed to that - for as long as you want on a continuous basis. Are they not entitled to at least some sort of security of tenure?
  • edited June 1
    Did you read the terms and conditions when you signed up? I'd hope you did, since you agreed to them. If you didn't like the terms you had a choice to not become a customer. That's why.

Having said that, every single energy company operates their monthly direct debit plans in this way, where you're expected to be in credit over the summer ready to use it up over the winter. The bigger suppliers do still offer tariffs where you pay the exact bill once a quarter, but these typically are more expensive.

If you don't want to operate your account in the manner to which you agreed, then you'll need to switch to a supplier that does operate the way you want and pay more for your energy. Luckily, you do have a choice.