Tracking own usage — Bulb Community

Tracking own usage

Since I change to bulb and knowing I have to submit meter readings again I have been at least weekly noting down my meter readings and working out how much I have used and what it will cost me. Who else does this? It seems there are a lot of people who don't have a clue what they are using...how can that be?

Comments

• edited June 2
    Yes I and a few others do our own spreadsheets. If I scroll along I also have the kWh usage.
    I have got in to the habit of taking readings every Sunday, they acccumulate as the month progresses and hopefully I end up with the same figure as Bulb at the end of the month.

• I keep my own spreadsheet but don't read or log any weekly meter readings. I read my meters once a month.

I submit monthly meter readings to Bulb and don't bother to keep a record since I make sure these have been logged by Bulb on the "Energy Usage" page and on the monthly statements.

My spreadsheet shows my monthly energy usage in kWh, obtained from my monthly statement (after ensuring these have used my submitted readings) and my own calculated costs. My calculated costs are nearly always a couple of pence out from those showing on my statements due to Bulb not providing the number of decimal places used by them for their units rates.

I use my previous 12 monthly energy usage split into monthly usage as the basis for the next 12 months. By this means the spreadsheet is able to work out my recommended monthly direct debit so that at the end of the next 12 months I finish up with a very small credit or debit.

• Am old school I log it on my phone. This month I was pretty much spot on with my calculations this month's statement and usage. If only everyone did this people would know what they should be paying to bulb and not blaming bulb for their massive bills. Glad I'm not the only one that tracks usage.
  • Am old school I log it on my phone

Thats advanced technology to me, I still use a Nokia 3310. :)
  • Am old school I log it on my phone.

How is that old school? :)

This month I was pretty much spot on with my calculations this month's statement and usage. If only everyone did this people would know what they should be paying to bulb and not blaming bulb for their massive bills.

I believe this could be summarised as: If only everyone were more responsible they wouldn't keep blaming everyone else.

:#
  • Using typical modern day thinking...

..."There are four team members named Everybody, Somebody, Anybody and Nobody. There
    was an important job to do and everybody was asked to do it. Everybody was sure Somebody
    would do it, Anybody could have done it but Nobody did. Everyone was angry about
    that because it was Somebody's job. Everybody thought Anybody could do it but Nobody
    realised that everyone would not. in the end, Everybody blamed Somebody when Nobody
    did what Anybody could have done"....
  • edited June 2

If only everyone did this people would know what they should be paying to bulb and not blaming bulb for their massive bills. Glad I'm not the only one that tracks usage.

For as long as I can remember since having a PC I've kept a spreadsheet of my energy usage. That is just the way I look to keep on top of my spending.

I don't think having a spreadsheet or equivalent is a necessity for customers to keep tabs on their Bulb account, steps as simple as the following should eliminate problems.

Customers:

1. Need to ensure they submit monthly meter readings.

2. Each month they should check their Bulb statement to ensure the energy costs are based on meter readings where possible.

3. Need to check each month if their account is in credit or debit and as appropriate decrease or increase their monthly payments to that shown on the statement "Looking at your current balance and energy usage, we recommend changing your payments to £*.

4. Use the facility to vary their direct debit payments if their account is going seriously into credit or debit bearing in mind ideally the have to pay one month in advance.

• Who else does this? It seems there are a lot of people who don't have a clue what they are using...how can that be?

A few weeks ago I couldn't find my electric meter cupboard key, so I asked my neighbour if I could borrow his. He seems a reasonably clued up sensible guy, so I was staggered when he said he'd no idea where his key was, and he never looked at his meter. :o
    I submit readings every month two days before the billing date, which are recorded on my energy spreadsheet. Also submitted are Sunday morning readings, unless it's within four days of the monthly submission.
  • edited June 2
    In that case you may as well keep his key just in case you can't find yours next time you want to read your meter. :o =)
  • 198kHz said:

A few weeks ago I couldn't find my electric meter cupboard key, so I asked my neighbour if I could borrow his. He seems a reasonably clued up sensible guy, so I was staggered when he said he'd no idea where his key was, and he never looked at his meter. :o
    I submit readings every month two days before the billing date, which are recorded on my energy spreadsheet. Also submitted are Sunday morning readings, unless it's within four days of the monthly submission.

Out of interest, do you read your water meter every Sunday morning? If you don't have a water meter, would you read it as frequently if you did? Mine is out in the road, so I have to lift open the cover, reach down the hole to open the flap on the meter, and then try to read the tiny digits. I basically never do it. I always get accurate bills from the water company. I've had an estimated bill only once, and that was basically the one time I remember reading the meter myself to update the bill. For some reason I trust the water company more than energy suppliers. They never seem to have any of the billing issues that energy suppliers do.

I've often wondered why water meters are a second class citizen and don't get smart functionality. If they're installed indoors, they can be read from outside via an RFID tag, but the meter reader still needs to actually visit. It would have been good to get a smart water meter, similar to how the battery operated gas meter works, so that quasi-live water usage could also be monitored.
  • I don't even know where my water meter is!
  • I don't even know where my water meter is!

Perhaps you are not on metered water usage? ;)
  • Ah yes.. how daft do I sound. But if did I think I'd read all the time and be as obsessed as I am with gas and electricity
  • Hooloovoo said:

Out of interest, do you read your water meter every Sunday morning?

No - which is just as well, as one almost has to be a contortionist (with a torch) to even see the display in the cupboard under the sink.
    It's an RFID type, read every 6 months, and the DD has been slightly adjusted once since moving in 6½ years ago.
    Depending on the difficulty involved in access, I think I'd be more inclined to read the water meter if it was in the footway - an abnormally high reading would indicate a leak.