Monthly payments going up. — Bulb Community

Monthly payments going up.

Hi,
I have been a customer since Oct 2018 & Bulb have just increased my payment. Surely this should be done after 12 months not at the beginning of summer when my usage will be dramatically less. Is this just a ploy to more money in my credit account.
Not too pleased to be honest.
Thanks

Comments

• Have you been submitting readings?

My monthly payment suggestion fluctuates by a lot depending on when I am in my payment cycle.

https://community.bulb.co.uk/discussion/6701/why-is-my-bill-unexpectedly-high#latest
  • You can vary your monthly payment yourself through the app if you think it's too high. Maybe drop it in the summer and put it up in the winter ?
  • MussDover said:

You can vary your monthly payment yourself through the app if you think it's too high. Maybe drop it in the summer and put it up in the winter ?

You can do that. But bulb recommend you stay at least one month in credit. They'll get an average usage figure for you generated for the previous 12 months
    In summer you'll build credit, you'll burn through it in winter.
  • Les_J39 said:

Hi,
    I have been a customer since Oct 2018 & Bulb have just increased my payment. Surely this should be done after 12 months not at the beginning of summer when my usage will be dramatically less. Is this just a ploy to more money in my credit account.
    Thanks

Please see: https://help.bulb.co.uk/hc/en-us/articles/115003405632-How-do-Bulb-payments-and-statements-work-
  • edited June 9
    Les_J39 said:

I have been a customer since Oct 2018 & Bulb have just increased my payment. Surely this should be done after 12 months not at the beginning of summer when my usage will be dramatically less. Is this just a ploy to more money in my credit account. Not too pleased to be honest.

It's not a ploy. What you've described is exactly how it's supposed to work. Your account is supposed to be in a fairly large amount of credit by the end of the summer, which is then used up over the winter. This is how the monthly payments are kept more or less the same throughout the whole year, despite your usage changing with the seasons. This is how all suppliers with a monthly payment system operate their accounts. Bulb manage their payment system to ensure you have the credit built up by the end of summer, which is why if your usage is turning out to be a bit higher than what was estimated when you became a customer in October, you're seeing your payment needing to be increased now.

Please do have a read of the link Allan has provided above. Don't confuse "the monthly payment" with "the bill".
  • Allanr said:

Les_J39 said:

Hi,
    Thanks

Please see: https://help.bulb.co.uk/hc/en-us/articles/115003405632-How-do-Bulb-payments-and-statements-work-
    Edit:

Don't forget you are able to amend your DD yourself subject to being in credit by one month advance payment

In addition "Bulb aim to review the amount of your automatic payments at least twice a year to make sure you're not paying too much or too little."