Smart metre installation — Bulb Community

Smart metre installation

When will I get my smart metre? Been signed up to get one for months.

Comments

• I wouldn’t fret my friend, I had mine installed 2 days ago and it doesn’t work anyway. About to go in the drawer, waste of time in my opinion...
  • Flat_Earth_Skeptic - hello, as smart meter technology is still quite new, the signal strength is stronger in some areas of the country than others. At the moment we're inviting people to book installations in areas where the signal strength is good. If you haven't received an invite yet, please hang tight, it will come as soon as possible
  • @Balders if your In-Home Display isn't working (that's the screen that comes with the smart meter) please let us know. We're working on fixing these at the moment.
  • When will I get my smart metre? Been signed up to get one for months.

It is METER not METRE
  • Bloody hell Denise do you not think I know what a screen is? Credit me with a modicum of intelligence wont you. I have already contacted you, I take it by your reply it hasn’t been received ?
  • Balders said:

Bloody hell Denise do you not think I know what a screen is? Credit me with a modicum of intelligence wont you. I have already contacted you, I take it by your reply it hasn’t been received ?

Purely an observation as a fellow customer, I have seen many posts on various threads on this where the poster has said my "smart meter" is not working whereas what they meant was my "In-Home Display" isn't working. So it is quite reasonable for Denise to clarify the IHD, aspects.
  • @Allanr your observation is mostly correct.

But many folk are also experiencing issues where they get estimated readings because the smart meter hasn't connected to the network right.

Bulb then remove the option to submit manual readings as supposedly they have a smart meter.

As long as I get accurate Bills and my merers continue to function I'm not going to bin those.

The 2020 target for smart meters and smets 2 only coking out a couple of months ago has meant that they are being rushed out before they are finished.

Personally I think a better solution for literally everyone would have been some kind of bolt on smart current clamps to electricity meters, that way people can still submit meter readings and their meters aren't thrown away.
  • Personally I think a better solution for literally everyone would have been some kind of bolt on smart current clamps to electricity meters, that way people can still submit meter readings and their meters aren't thrown away.

The problem with that is in order to measure true power you also need to measure the voltage phase. Whilst it's true that you could achieve most of what smart meters offer by using a web-connected CT clamp, most people don't necessarily have a power socket next to the meter. This means that the installation becomes much more complicated - you somehow have to get power to the gadget at the meter with the CT clamp. You could have a battery operated CT clamp and a wireless remote voltage sensor plugged in somewhere else, but then again this gets complicated and requires the customer to ensure they change the batteries. You could get an electrician to make power available at the meter, but if you're doing that it's no longer a customer self-install and you may as well just get someone to change the meter instead.

Basically the only sensible solution is to change the meter itself. The only way a bolt on gadget would work is if the existing meter had some sort of peripheral port for a GSM radio.
  • When will we get the new Smart Meter in London?
  • I would NOT recommend a smart meter. My electrics and fuse box worked perfectly before I had mine fitted. Mine was fitted the Friday of Spring Bank weekend and my fuse box kept tripping afterwards and wouldn’t stay on. Apparently this is s common problem according to the W homered boss! The engineer phoned his boss and said I would have to get an electrician to look at it. That’s not that easy on a bank holiday weekend and they left me with no electricity! 2 weeks later I have some electric on but the fuse box still keeps tripping and just waiting for the electrician to put a new box in. I am disgusted with the service provided by the fitters and they should at least have an electrician on stand by to sort these issues out. DO NOT GET A SMART METER - I wish I hadn’t.
  • Should read - engineers boss not w homered boss!!!
  • edited June 7
    Wendyg said:

I would NOT recommend a smart meter. My electrics and fuse box worked perfectly before I had mine fitted. Mine was fitted the Friday of Spring Bank weekend and my fuse box kept tripping afterwards and wouldn’t stay on. Apparently this is s common problem according to the W homered boss! The engineer phoned his boss and said I would have to get an electrician to look at it. That’s not that easy on a bank holiday weekend and they left me with no electricity! 2 weeks later I have some electric on but the fuse box still keeps tripping and just waiting for the electrician to put a new box in. I am disgusted with the service provided by the fitters and they should at least have an electrician on stand by to sort these issues out. DO NOT GET A SMART METER - I wish I hadn’t.

This is completely unrelated to smart meters.

Possibly the problem is to do with your "meter tails" being moved around during the installation and the mechanical stress causing a loose connection inside your consumer unit. Or maybe one of your RCDs failed simply due to being turned off after having been on for many years. These things happen. But that's as likely to happen whether installing a smart meter or a big old fashioned analogue dial meter. It's the replacement of the meter that is the issue, not the type of meter. You have to change the meter at some point, just because like anything else they get old and need to be replaced. Installing a smart meter might well have brought forward this event a little earlier than it would have been otherwise, but you'd have been facing this problem smart or not.

This is the problem with getting recommendations off the internet. Quite often bad reviews are simply due to a misunderstanding.