Switching question — Bulb Community

Switching question

Recently moved into a new flat as a tenant. Supplier is Scottish Power, they sent an overestimated bill so I signed up to their website to submit my meter readings on the date I moved in.

Haven't signed up to a contract or anything, they didn't even ask for my name when I submitted the readings.

Just submitted a switch request to Bulb, will they be able to switch my supply without me contacting Scottish Power?

Comments

• edited July 9
    Orient said:

Just submitted a switch request to Bulb, will they be able to switch my supply without me contacting Scottish Power?

Ordinarily, there's no need to contact the old supplier. Bulb will request readings from you which will be used to open your Bulb account and close the Scottish Power account.
  • edited July 9
    Having said that, if you haven't actually set up the Scottish Power account in your name, then I'm not sure if that complicates the switch.

I'm also not sure how you could give readings if you didn't take ownership of the account.
  • Their website is terrible and I couldn't enter my name. The bill was addressed to the owner/occupier of the property.

When I used the account number on the bill to register, it asked me to confirm my details (the address) but wouldn't actually let me change the name from owner/occupier.
  • Bulb will tell you if there are any issues in respect of you not being the named person on the Scottish Power account you're attempting to switch, but might be an idea to ask Bulb directly rather than wait for them to get in touch.

You will also presumably have to pay the property owner for your Scottish Power energy usage somehow. Assuming they are happy to pay the whole bill, as opposed to you creating a Scottish Power account for the time that you were effectively their customer.
  • @Orient It is normally best to get in touch with Scottish Power so they can take some basic details to bill you with. The switch may go through fine without you having contacted them but often they object to losing the supply if they don't have anyone to send bills too.

Let me know if you need further help.

• Got another bill in the post from them today. Again it was literally just addressed to 'Owner/Occupier'.

I am now around £25 in credit but would be happy to pay them for the power used between the time I moved in and switching to Bulb.
  • Orient said:

Got another bill in the post from them today. Again it was literally just addressed to 'Owner/Occupier'.

I am now around £25 in credit but would be happy to pay them for the power used between the time I moved in and switching to Bulb.

Have you contacts Scottish Power as suggested by @HenryF at Bulb ?