Charity referrals — Bulb Community

Charity referrals

Hi,

Can bulb create a few referral links (similar to last xmas) where the new customer still gets £50 credit for joing, and the other £50 goes to a charity?

e.g. bulb.co.uk/refer/macmillan
bulb.co.uk/refer/shelter
etc..

I've signed up a few people now by donating my £50 to macmillan and would prefer to cut out the middle man!

Comments

  • @phproxy At the moment the referral links are so our members can go and tell people about Bulb and get an incentive for doing so. The charity referral link would be a slightly different thing as there is no member telling other people about Bulb. I will definitely raise this as a suggestion though and we might do some charity referrals like we did last year!
  • I like this idea. I'd like to join Bulb and get my £50 credit (as I found you via my own research on the web). I could do that by signing up to any anonymous post so someone I don't know gets the other £50, but I'd rather receive my £50 and give the other £50 to charity. After which, I'm happy to spread the word to family and friends.
    It is just the initial sign-up where I'd like the ability to donate to a charity. Is that possible?
  • DinB said:

    I'd rather receive my £50 and give the other £50 to charity.

    But the "other" £50 isn't yours to give, it's Bulb's money, which they choose to give to the referrer. How about an option where YOUR £50 goes to charity?

    Personally, I think both referrers and referrees (is that a word?) should have the choice to spend/save/donate/offset against their energy bill, the £50 credit that Bulb gives them.
  • edited November 2018
    I give £25 of mine to charity, not quite the £50 you wanted to go but that option is there. ~*Link removed by Bill_at_Bulb as already redeemed by member who asked*

    usually a different charity each time but the switcher can tell me a charity if they prefer.
  • Thanks Tom. How would I know you've paid that in to a charity?
  • PSteve said:

    DinB said:

    I'd rather receive my £50 and give the other £50 to charity.

    But the "other" £50 isn't yours to give, it's Bulb's money, which they choose to give to the referrer. How about an option where YOUR £50 goes to charity?

    Personally, I think both referrers and referrees (is that a word?) should have the choice to spend/save/donate/offset against their energy bill, the £50 credit that Bulb gives them.
    That's fine if there was someone actually providing a referral to me, but that is not the case here. The only way I can see to obtain the £50 credit Bulb offer is to use a random person's referral link, my preference is to pay that part to a charity rather than to someone I have no connection with.
  • edited November 2017
    DinB said:

    Thanks Tom. How would I know you've paid that in to a charity?

    @DinB On twitter(where most of my referrals come from) i've been posting pictures of the emails i receive from the charity i've donated to - which normally show a date and amount, not sure if i can add images on here or not, but i would do that in this case - let me try with my last donation and see if it shows!


  • edited November 2018
    Since bulb are running the £100 credit offer this week, i will now give £50 credit to charity per use of my link;
    Https://www.bulb.co.uk/refer/...
  • Thanks @Tom6685.

    Bulb are working on a charity link but it will be too late for me, so I will use your link. Please can you donate to the Keech House Hospice,

    https://www.keech.org.uk/donate

    Thanks
    @DinB
  • @Tom6685, the offer is £100 each. Are you still happy to keep the £25 and donate £75?
  • edited November 2017
    DinB said:

    Thanks @Tom6685.

    Bulb are working on a charity link but it will be too late for me, so I will use your link. Please can you donate to the Keech House Hospice,

    https://www.keech.org.uk/donate

    Thanks
    @DinB

    DinB said:

    @Tom6685, the offer is £100 each. Are you still happy to keep the £25 and donate £75?

    Thanks for using it, i will donate to that charity when you've switched and post the image here. I've been offering £50 charity donation now that the referral has doubled - This doubling has actually stopped anyone else joining via my link! But as I've been spamming the forum(like everyone else) i will do the £75
  • @Will at Bulb You can't possibly condone this sort of behaviour. What does being a B Corp company mean to you?
  • @xxx, it is definitely an interesting situation.

    Posts on the forum are not referrals, they're people begging for money.

    Refer your family, friends, colleagues and aqaintances, but don't pretend that having a random person on the internet click your link is a referral.
  • NOTE: What @tom6685 said before he edited his post was that he would only donate the £75 to charity if he gained another £100 referral from his spamming.

    You're keeping a low profile on this charity haggling @Will at Bulb .

  • @xxx

    Not entirely sure that personal haggling of @Will at Bulb or trying to catch out @tom6685 is conducive to improvements :expressionless:

    @tom6685 is simply following the rules as they exist at present. Nobody from Bulb has removed any of the referral link posts, so obviously at this time it's acceptable for him to continue.

    Personally I'm just trying to get a timescale as Bulb seem to have agreed that referral links on these forums is not going to be OK in the future.
  • @mowcius I mention @Will at Bulb because it's his job to sort out this mess and show some form of leadership; it's not personal. They've taken on too much at once, timescales are slipping and I happen to think this one's important as it drags the image of a very good company down.
  • edited November 2017
    xxx said:

    NOTE: What @tom6685 said before he edited his post was that he would only donate the £75 to charity if he gained another £100 referral from his spamming.

    You're keeping a low profile on this charity haggling @Will at Bulb .

    I don't have to do the £75 charity donation do i! if you look at the message before DinB said he had used my link i clearly said i would give £50! to charity now that the referral had gone up to £100.. No where did i say i would give the £75 he requested that.. So the original message was i would give £50 unless i got another referral of which then i would give him the £75 he requested aswell as the £50 i would have given to the other referral!

    I Changed my mind after writing the first message and thought i might aswell give the £75, but if your going to go trying to pick holes in what i want to do with MY! referral money then i may just go do the £50 i said originally and tell the charity why they aren't getting the extra money.

    At the end of the day its my money(when it hits my bulb account) to do with what i want thanks to the goodwill of bulb.. I don't know exactly what your problem is with me and what i want to do with referral money, i have spammed the forum less than other members i could mention, plus least i'm giving some of mine to good causes unlike other members.
    I'm doing nothing against the rules of a) the forum and b) the referral money so why don't you just stop moaning and just ignore my messages if you don't like it..

    When the rules change i will abide by them just like im abiding by the current ones

    Maybe bulb staff haven't said anything because NO RULES HAVE BEEN BROKEN!
  • Hi @tom6685, thanks for responding despite the negativity in this thread.

    I think we all accept that you're following the rules (although on that point, has anyone actually seen any rules?) but perhaps some take issue with how much you seem to be stretching them.

    Posting your link in a thread or two like most people do seems acceptable. Spamming it into every single referral thread on here every day feels a bit like you're taking the piss.

    I get that you want to be the latest post as that's going to make people more likely to click on your link, especially with the offer of the charity donation (nice work on that btw, I bet the charities really appreciate it), but maybe give other people a chance?
    least i'm giving some of mine to good causes unlike other members.
    I imagine that there are plenty of people who have joined Bulb who will be very appreciative of the referral money to allow them to afford a bit more food on the weekly shop or a present for their children for christmas...
    None of us know what everyone else is doing with their referral money, let's not make out that anyone is better than anyone else.
  • xxx said:

    @mowcius I mention @Will at Bulb because it's his job to sort out this mess and show some form of leadership; it's not personal. They've taken on too much at once, timescales are slipping and I happen to think this one's important as it drags the image of a very good company down.

    Timescales are slipping?
    Are you taking this from the open roadmap or from somewhere else? What specifically?

    Will's aware of the situation, I think we just need to be patient. With all of their expansion, they do have a company to run after all. The community forum, as important as it is, is going to come after getting all of these new customers signed up and supplied with energy.
    The percentage of customers who actually visit the forum is no doubt a very small percentage.
  • To answer the original question by @phproxy, yes we can. But we'd have to set up Macmillan, Shelter or whichever charity as a Bulb affiliate, which works slightly differently to referrals. We'd be delighted to work with them and we've just finished setting up our affiliate process. Any charity can get in touch with us to find out more. We could think about how we could proactively reach out to charities too. Would you want to see a list of all these charities when they're set up so members could promote the charity of their choice?


    @xxx, We're happy with members offering additional things for referrals are long as it's entirely clear that the member is the one giving the additional reward. Not Bulb. As always though, we're very open to criticism and suggestions for changing. What are the pros and cons of not allowing this?

    From what we see, the pros are that referrers get flexibility in how they offer rewards and some money goes to charity. The cons are that there is no guarantee that the offer will be fulfilled.

    A loose philosophy we hold is that we'd rather let cool things happen and then deal with problems that occur, rather than preventing the cool thing from happening due to fear of bad things. We haven't had any feedback from members that these additional rewards haven't been honoured, so we're happy to let it continue for now. We're also planning, but not yet working on, allowing referrers to choose to automatically give their reward to charity. The only question here is which charities do we allow? That's something to work out before we begin work on it.


    On posting links in the community: I've just updated the consultation thread on this. We'll update the community and add the new rule that members can't share their link, and then we'll begin cleaning up. Up until now though, I haven't seen anyone breaking rules. But please point them out if you see them.
  • A loose philosophy we hold is that we'd rather let cool things happen and then deal with problems that occur, rather than preventing the cool thing from happening due to fear of bad things. We haven't had any feedback from members that these additional rewards haven't been honoured, so we're happy to let it continue for now.

    This is something I can get behind. Sometimes it's tricky to decide when something has gone too far and when to step in, but I agree that things should be allowed to be tried rather than trying to blanket ban everything from the start. Good to hear that you've not had any feedback about that.
    We're also planning, but not yet working on, allowing referrers to choose to automatically give their reward to charity. The only question here is which charities do we allow? That's something to work out before we begin work on it.
    Could you have it so that members can pick the charity they wish to donate to, but also recommend a charity if the one they would like to donate to isn't listed?
    If enough people say they want to donate to another charity, then you could investigate and get it added to the list.
    On posting links in the community: I've just updated the consultation thread on this. We'll update the community and add the new rule that members can't share their link, and then we'll begin cleaning up. Up until now though, I haven't seen anyone breaking rules. But please point them out if you see them.
    Is this publically on the forums or at all through the forums? Can new forum members who are not yet Bulb members request links? (if this isn't allowed publically but is allowed in PMs, people are going to start getting random PMs asking for links...)

    Personally I'd vote for not allowing requests publically or via PMs.

    I did mention above but so far I still haven't actually seen any forum rules. Do they exist somewhere?
  • mowcius said:

    I still haven't actually seen any forum rules. Do they exist somewhere?

    We have this: https://community.bulb.co.uk/discussion/27/how-do-i-report-something-in-the-community/p1

    It's far from comprehensive, which is deliberate as part of the cool stuff philosophy I mentioned above. We didn't need rules, so why create unnecessary ones. But now the Bulb Community is growing to such a size that more guidance is going to be a good thing, so we'll create a proper Community set of rules.
  • tom6685 said:

    DinB said:

    Thanks @Tom6685.

    Bulb are working on a charity link but it will be too late for me, so I will use your link. Please can you donate to the Keech House Hospice,

    https://www.keech.org.uk/donate

    Thanks
    @DinB

    DinB said:

    @Tom6685, the offer is £100 each. Are you still happy to keep the £25 and donate £75?

    Thanks for using it, i will donate to that charity when you've switched and post the image here. I've been offering £50 charity donation now that the referral has doubled - This doubling has actually stopped anyone else joining via my link! But as I've been spamming the forum(like everyone else) i will do the £75
    @Tom6685 did you make the £75 donation to The Keech House Hospice? Despite other people’s views on this forum, you have been operating within the rules and providing an interim service. Hopefully, Bulb will set this up directly in future but thank you for organising this in the interim.
  • DinB said:

    tom6685 said:

    DinB said:

    Thanks @Tom6685.

    Bulb are working on a charity link but it will be too late for me, so I will use your link. Please can you donate to the Keech House Hospice,

    https://www.keech.org.uk/donate

    Thanks
    @DinB

    DinB said:

    @Tom6685, the offer is £100 each. Are you still happy to keep the £25 and donate £75?

    Thanks for using it, i will donate to that charity when you've switched and post the image here. I've been offering £50 charity donation now that the referral has doubled - This doubling has actually stopped anyone else joining via my link! But as I've been spamming the forum(like everyone else) i will do the £75
    @Tom6685 did you make the £75 donation to The Keech House Hospice? Despite other people’s views on this forum, you have been operating within the rules and providing an interim service. Hopefully, Bulb will set this up directly in future but thank you for organising this in the interim.
    Just done it now, Bulb had abit of a buildup of referrals not going through over the last 4 or so days, so it went through this morning.
    Attached is print screen of email i received from them


    I'll tag @xxx @mowcius because they'll be in here for a moan probably about me "side stepping rules or bumping up a thread that has a referral link in it somewhere" straight after they see i have posted anything on the forum as normal. Just like yesterday when i replied to someone else i said i would donate on behalf of to show them the proof.

    @DinB i've done as i've promised and i hope you are happy with it and bulb in general.

    May aswell tag @Will at Bulb also before someone does to have a moan at him aswell.
  • @Tom6685 Thank you for honouring your promise. I know people who have been helped by Keech House so it is a valuable donation.

    @Will at Bulb whilst I know you are in the process of setting something up with other charities, this was the closest offering I could get to give to a charity rather than to use a link of someone I didn't know. I believe @Tom6685 has operated within your current rules in offering this but I trust in future a newbie who has done their own research in joining Bulb will be incentivised without using someone else's anonymous link.

    That said, I am really looking forward to being a customer of Bulb's so please carry on the good work you have started. It is quite refreshing to have an energy supplier with your philosophy. I hope Bulb continues to prosper and helps change the energy market in the UK for the better. I'm sure your customers will vote with their feet if you go wrong by them, so I guess it is in your best interests to continue how you have started!
  • I'll tag @xxx @mowcius because they'll be in here for a moan probably about me "side stepping rules or bumping up a thread that has a referral link in it somewhere" straight after they see i have posted anything on the forum as normal. Just like yesterday when i replied to someone else i said i would donate on behalf of to show them the proof.
    If you went through and edited out all of your old posts to remove the links (and didn't keep posting new ones), nobody would have any further issue.

    I'm only going to comment on you sidestepping the rules (or outright ignoring them) when you are doing so.

    If you stop abusing the forums then you'll quickly go up in my books from the worst offender to one of the most positive people here, as you have posted a number of helpful responses to queries, and your (confirmed) donations to charities from referral credit is fantastic.
  • We really admire when members donate their referral rewards to charity. We think that is a great thing and would like to see it continue.

    The rules we imposed in the community about sharing referral links still contain the clause that says it's fine to share your link on the community if someone asked for a link before it was posted. In this thread, I think that condition is satisfied. phproxy asked for a way to donate to charity instead of a member, Tom offered that. And as DinB has shown, it was genuinely useful to a member. This is why we added that rule in.

    We're still happy to discuss whether or not that rule is a good idea. At the moment we're seeing how it goes. if it continues to work, then great. If it doesn't, then we'll reconsider. We're always happy to eat humble pie if something doesn't work :)

    Also, the referral credit bug that Tom mentioned was fixed early this week. Everyone now has their referral credit, and future credits won't be delayed. Sorry about the delays!
  • In this thread, I think that condition is satisfied.

    Fair enough, but it seems pretty tenuous and a bit of a grey area.

    Perhaps allow sending of PMs but not public posts?

    Then no members are advantaged through random future searches for links, only the member who specifically requested the referral link.

    Then again, either way it still becomes a case of first come first served. Is that fair? I don't really know.
  • edited March 2018
    tom6685 said:

    I give £25 of mine to charity, not quite the £50 you wanted to go but that option is there.

    usually a different charity each time but the switcher can tell me a charity if they prefer.

    @Tom6685 Hi Tom. I've just signed up so please send your charity donation to your usual choice when it comes through. Cheers.
  • edited November 2018
    What an excellent idea Tom, donating to charity. I too will join this idea and give £25 to my chosen charity Evelina Children's Hospital. My wife and I both think the world of Evelina after they successfully repaired our son's heart from 3 months of age.

    bulb.co.uk/refer/...
  • Hi there @PhilipMarlow that sounds like a wonderful idea, and they sound like a very worthy cause
  • edited November 2018
    tom6685 said:

    I give £25 of mine to charity, not quite the £50 you wanted to go but that option is there. https://www.bulb.co.uk/refer/....

    usually a different charity each time but the switcher can tell me a charity if they prefer.

    Hi Tom,
    I would like to use your referral.
    Could you please make a donation to Macmillan?
    Thanks
  • agaar said:

    tom6685 said:

    I give £25 of mine to charity, not quite the £50 you wanted to go but that option is there. https://www.bulb.co.uk/refer/tom6685

    usually a different charity each time but the switcher can tell me a charity if they prefer.

    Hi Tom,
    I would like to use your referral.
    Could you please make a donation to Macmillan?
    Thanks
    Yes Certainly
  • tom6685 said:

    agaar said:

    tom6685 said:

    I give £25 of mine to charity, not quite the £50 you wanted to go but that option is there. https://www.bulb.co.uk/refer/tom6685

    usually a different charity each time but the switcher can tell me a charity if they prefer.

    Hi Tom,
    I would like to use your referral.
    Could you please make a donation to Macmillan?
    Thanks
    Yes Certainly
    Hello Tom I have just signed up for Bulb using your link. No particular reason except that you said you would donate £25 to Macmillan and I would be grateful if you could do the same with mine when it comes through from Bulb. Hope that is OK
  • PhilipR said:

    tom6685 said:

    agaar said:

    tom6685 said:

    I give £25 of mine to charity, not quite the £50 you wanted to go but that option is there. https://www.bulb.co.uk/refer/tom6685

    usually a different charity each time but the switcher can tell me a charity if they prefer.

    Hi Tom,
    I would like to use your referral.
    Could you please make a donation to Macmillan?
    Thanks
    Yes Certainly
    Hello Tom I have just signed up for Bulb using your link. No particular reason except that you said you would donate £25 to Macmillan and I would be grateful if you could do the same with mine when it comes through from Bulb. Hope that is OK
    No problem at all, i've made a note of it and will give you proof of donation when switch is complete
  • tom6685 said:



    No problem at all, i've made a note of it and will give you proof of donation when switch is complete

    I would be interested to know how much you have given to charities?
  • edited October 2018
    Allanr said:

    tom6685 said:



    No problem at all, i've made a note of it and will give you proof of donation when switch is complete

    I would be interested to know how much you have given to charities?
    Yes, @tom6685 what you are doing is great but how do we really know that you are actually sending some of this money charities? Even those screenshots can be easily reproduced. I think if you could find a better way to prove that you are actually giving money to charity, more people will support you and you will get more referral credit too.
  • Could we also have the link for @tom6685 removed from this thread?
  • I've removed it @Allanr - @tom6685 - if anyone else requests this in future you're free to private message them on the forum with it.
Sign In or Register to comment.