Smart meters — Bulb Community

Smart meters

Hi, we're new you bulb and was wondering what the procedure is with installation of smart meters. Are they available from bulb now and if so how much are they? Many thanks

Comments

• Hi @pembo1276 we will roll them out in 2018 and they will be FREE.

I've put you on the list of people who want to be 'first in line' for their installation.
  • Please can you also put me on the list for a smart meter?
  • Can I be added to the list as well? Thank you!
  • Just switched to Bulb. Are you able to use our existing electricity smart meter and, could we register for s smart gas meter?
    Thanks.
  • @Uktikki We will not be able to read it remotely, but you will still be able to manually take readings to send to us. I have added you to the list in case you wanted to be on the trial!
  • Could I be added to list for Smart meters please ... many thanks
  • Please could you add me to the list for a smart meter trial?
    Thanks
  • danp said:

@Uktikki We will not be able to read it remotely, but you will still be able to manually take readings to send to us. I have added you to the list in case you wanted to be on the trial!

Ive just switched to bulb and disappointed to read that you won’t be able to use my existing gas and electricity smart meter. Ive previously changed provider and they just took over the reading - first utility to white rose.
  • can you put me in the list please!
  • @Evan @rob942 and @cliveknapper , I've added you all to the smart meter trial list.

@paul_c we completely agree with you, it's really disappointing that the majority of smart meters installed in people's homes currently can only talk to the supplier that installed them.

The reason why it worked before is a pretty nice coincidence, it means that the two suppliers had partnered with the same smart meter software company and so they were compatible. This is not the case usually.
  • If that’s the case (which I question) which software company do you use?
  • Please add me to list too thank you
  • I'd love to be on the list as well! So curious where my energy goes!
  • @Paul_C, Bulb don't currently automatically read or install any smart meters so the answer is "none".

They're not making things up though.

• @laurakinsey @Dollydimple_67 no problem, you're on the list!
  • Ok, please can you add me to the trial list.
  • @Paul_C Definitely! We will be in touch :)
  • Can I be added to the list as well? Thank you!
  • Hi Bulb. I'd love to be part of your Smart meter trial / initial roll-out.

Is it too early for you to answer to if you'll be using SMETs1, or future proofing with using SMETs2 ?
  • After exploring Bulb's community a little I've found the Trello board. A Smart meter related suggestion for the 'Ideas' list is the ability to download usage data in bulk.

The visibility of historical usage against the duration of measurement (half hourly / hourly) would be great for a data geek (like me) who loves a good spreadsheet ;) B)

This is something I've struggled to get from my previous supplier, as it seems they're not entirely sure how to get the data out of their system.

Further down the line, maybe make this data accessible via an API or to talk to Emoncms.org (unless Bulb could build some analysis and visualisation to rival Emoncms).
  • edited November 2017
    Hello Andrew at Bulb, appreciate you add me to the smart meter list too. Many thanks.
  • edited November 2017
    @Frank, as you've no doubt seen by now if you had a little hunt around, they're going to be 2nd gen (SMETS2) meters to ensure supplier interoperability and future proofing.

Not sure if you'll have seen this thread on your travels, but meters like the HollyTech ones will store 30 minute readings for up to 13 months so with the right client device (CAD), there's no reason technically why you wouldn't be able to grab this information locally yourself rather than relying on a Bulb supplied service.
    The Presciense gateways might also end up being a good place to start but we'll have to wait until we hear more about Bulb's plans to ensure compatibility with something like it.
  • @Frank @terence805 I've added you on now.

I think @mowcius answer is more in depth that I would have been able to provide, we're not quite smart meter experts yet as we've not installed them yet and the team is still learning of the capabilities, but I would be confident in saying that Bulb's approach of full transparency and the "Data Wins" ethos, would lead us to try and obtain a smart meter that would allow you to download your own data either through the smart meter or through our website (or both).

No actual information to back this up unfortunately, but we know how important our members would find this feature, so I am sure we're working to be able to provide this for you all.
  • I would be confident in saying that Bulb's approach of full transparency and the "Data Wins" ethos, would lead us to try and obtain a smart meter that would allow you to download your own data either through the smart meter or through our website (or both).

:+1:

• Can I be added to the list too if not too late please? We've just moved to bulb and had loads of issues with meter reading and billing with our previous company. Thank you!
  • Please could I be added to the list for a smart meter, many thanks Amanda
  • Hi, I have just joined Bulb. Could I be put on the smart meter list too please? Thank you. Olivia
  • Hi we are new to Bulb, could you please put our name on the list for a smart meter.