Opinions on the Tado Smart Thermostat — Bulb Community

Opinions on the Tado Smart Thermostat

Has anybody had any experience with the Tado Smart Thermostat system? I would be interested to hear if there has been significant reductions in energy usage, or if it's made the experience of proactively managing the heating easier?

I've just bought one with the extension kit for hot water, and I am curious about the consensus!

Comments

• I've have had a look at it in the past and as much as I like the design of the thing, unless you're really buy into the ecosystem, it seems very expensive considering that the thermostat by itself is not actually wireless to your boiler, only to the internet bridge.

With the nest being ~£199 all in, the comparable option from Tado seems to be £278 (starter kit plus the extension kit to make it wireless and control the hot water).

I do really like the fact it can be completely wireless though. With all of the complexity of the Nest, as much as you can remove the power supply and it'll work for a while off the internal battery, it complains quite quickly, requiring you to plug it back into the mains to use it.

I put some thoughts on smart thermostats (specifically the Nest but applies to all) in this thread if you're interested.

Presuming you had a properly set up timed thermostat in the past, I wouldn't imagine you'll get any savings from the system, but you will likely appreciate its smartness and the ability to more easily make your house the temperature you want it, when you want it.
    Interestingly, if you bought the Tado from them directly (or specific other retailers), you can return it up to 12 months after the purchase date if you're not happy (they don't require any bill information, just that you don't think it's saving you money).

If you have a house where a number of rooms are not often used and you add the smart TRVs to the system, I suspect you would see savings there, but if you've not got a modern well insulated and correctly ventilated house, you might also end up with bigger problems of damp/mould in those colder rooms.
  • Some really interesting points and the thread shared was a good read. I think that you're right in regards to savings over a timed thermostat. This is definitely a product for people who are terrible in actively controlling their heating or setting up an effective schedule. The savings are going to come from those who set a high temperature for the whole day (we are comfortable at a cool 17ºC).

I do suspect that living in a relatively small flat, in combination with the fact we manually control the heating based on when we're in and for how long, I will see no savings and maybe an increase. The gimmick of geofencing and preemptive heating will wear off pretty fast once it makes my bills that bit less affordable. The advantage for me as a student is my ability to remotely control and monitor my flat's temperature when away over the semester breaks.

I got the starter kit with the extension kit for a fairly reasonable £160 so I can definitely put this down as an early Christmas treat and if it doesn't save me money, l hope it was at least make it easier to schedule and control the heating.
  • edited November 2017
    Malinion said:

I got the starter kit with the extension kit for a fairly reasonable £160 so I can definitely put this down as an early Christmas treat and if it doesn't save me money

For £160 I think you got a good deal there!

If the kit ends up having an RRP of close to that price in the longer term then it will be interesting, as with the simpler display it really seems like a competitor to the Nest Thermostat E.
    EDIT: The Nest Thermostat E apparently isn't going to be released in the UK

Let us know how you find it anyway and if you end up buying any more of their devices to add to the ecosystem.
  • For what it's worth, I love our Tado. It's moved house with us and been fantastic to use, especially as we have erratic schedules (I work from home, so the house isn't simply empty from 9-5, it might be empty for a few hours here and there instead)

I'd never touch a Nest product on principle - Alphabet/Google are far too well known for shelving perfectly good products because they get bored with them.
  • edited December 2017

For what it's worth, I love our Tado. It's moved house with us and been fantastic to use, especially as we have erratic schedules (I work from home, so the house isn't simply empty from 9-5, it might be empty for a few hours here and there instead)

Good to hear! Do you just have the thermostat or do you some of the other products as well?
    I'd never touch a Nest product on principle - Alphabet/Google are far too well known for shelving perfectly good products because they get bored with them.
    I can totally understand that but for me it's less of an Alphabet thing and more a concern with any product that relies on cloud servers to function!
    With the market share that Nest has, I'm less worried now about the potential shelving of the product or the company going bust than I would be with some of the other systems out there. Especially as the thermostat is their core money maker, and although owned by Alphabet, Nest is its own company.
  • @mowcius Tado relies on cloud servers too, the only way you can avoid cloud stuff is to use something like Z-Wave and then you need your own hub, etc.

I only use the thermostat and extension kit currently. Waiting for their radiator valves to drop in price (they were £35 on Amazon and Very a while back) and planning to bulk-buy then.
  • i have had tado since version 1 when i did a complete refresh of the heating in my house inc boiler.
    It does save money but it will depend on your family circumstances. By that i mean the geofencing works well but is redundant if you ahve family members at home most of the time unless you plan to let them freeze when you go out.
    The thermostat control has got better over time because the earlier software used to let the temperature go past your cut off point by a good half a degree but is now much more controlled.
    And that is the part of tado - they keep developing the software and refining it.
    Works fine with Alexa as well.
    i agree the radiator valves are too expensive right now.

i would also say it is not a system to keep 'messing' about with - it does work best as a set and forget system which is the point.
    if you want to be manually controlling everything all the time then save money, buy manual thermostats and radiator trv,s.

• edited December 2017

By that i mean the geofencing works well but is redundant if you have family members at home most of the time unless you plan to let them freeze when you go out.

Haha, yeah I'm in the same situation. My heating is going to be on more this year than last as there's almost always someone at home.

How's the multi-device geofencing on Tado?
    Nest allows you to add people to control your system but it's frustrating you can't just add people (/phones) for geofencing control without giving them significant access (can add and remove devices for example).
  • edited December 2017
    mowcius said:

Nest allows you to add people to control your system but it's frustrating you can't just add people (/phones) for geofencing control without giving them significant access (can add and remove devices for example).

Tado I think has the same problem, but on its roadmap it states it intends to include different levels of user rights such as admin and regular user. Quite happy with the level of improvement and development that appears to be ongoing.
  • Malinion said:

Tado I think has the same problem, but on its roadmap it states it intends to include different levels of user rights such as admin and regular user. Quite happy with the level of improvement and development that appears to be ongoing.

That sounds good. Nest have no such public roadmap or openness and that definitely gives them a big black mark in my book.
  • If you are genuinely serious about smart heating the zoning approach is the one to adopt. We have Honeywell Evohome and it really is superb. And in a sea of new entrants to this market it's reassuring that Honeywell are such a huge, stable company.

Not cheap but solves the inherent flaw in home heating systems - whole house on or off. It's not like you would dream of having the one light switch, is it?
  • bellboys said:

If you are genuinely serious about smart heating the zoning approach is the one to adopt. We have Honeywell Evohome and it really is superb. And in a sea of new entrants to this market it's reassuring that Honeywell are such a huge, stable company.

A good point. I think a big issue is that actual zoned heating can be quite difficult to retrofit into older properties.
    Smart TRVs could pretty much solve this (aside from having one room that has to be on, whichever other rooms you want warm) but even those are still horrendously expensive.
    Personally my basement conversion will be a second zone but even though I'm stripping the rest of the house, adding additional zones upstairs would not be a simple task so I'm sticking to just the two.

I've been following OpenTRV for a while (Twitter as website appears to be down) but it never seemed to really get too far.
  • bellboys said:

If you are genuinely serious about smart heating the zoning approach is the one to adopt. We have Honeywell Evohome and it really is superb. And in a sea of new entrants to this market it's reassuring that Honeywell are such a huge, stable company.

Not cheap but solves the inherent flaw in home heating systems - whole house on or off. It's not like you would dream of having the one light switch, is it?

We have Honeywell EvoHome, had it for about 6 months. Need to save up for the Smart TRV's but so far really impressed. Also they were good when there was an issue with their online login system for the app. Rather than just fix, they did inform users proactively.
    I can't remember if Tado does OpenTherm? That is one thing that not a lot do but Honeywell clearly did. If your boiler will communicate in OpenTherm it will not run your boiler in a binary mode like most systems do... on or off. Creating a heat and cooling cycle, but rather once up to temp, run the radiators at a lower "warm" temperatures to maintain a constant temperature. Often when I look at our boiler once up to temp it's circulating water at around 50-60oC rather than full belt 80oC
  • JandJ said:

I can't remember if Tado does OpenTherm

Tado does support OpenTherm. It's a shame that Worcester Bosch decided not to though.

• Just to bump an old thread.
    Recently purchased Tado - and so far I wish I hadn't.
    I have a very standard S plan heating/hw system with a very standard Worcester Bosch boiler.

The installation wouldn't complete with Tado remote intervention leaving me without heating/hw for the weekend - pity they dont tell you this prior to commencing install. And who on earth designed a system that the installer has to rely on the manufacturer to remotely configure during office hours only. Ridiculous.

Once up and running - the heating control is lousy, temperatures are all over the place, the so called pre-heat simply doesn't work, there is no sign of it learning, and if it thinks heating demand is low it cycles the boiler for a low flow temperature, so the flow is not hot enough to heat the hot water. Bizarre.

Also the data availability is hopeless, there is no export function and the graph is borderline unreadable and scaled such that you have no chance to see in detail what is going on. See above for reasons why.

My previous controller (Warmworld) worked absolutely perfectly in comparison. The only reasons I bought the Tado was for internet control and the possibility to add indvividually controlled rad stats.

Needless to say I am seriously considering whether to return the Tado. The hardware seems to be okay but the software is hopeless.
  • @gruf, interesting to hear your feedback on it.

I wonder if anyone else with one who has been happy with it so far can make comment.
    The installation wouldn't complete with Tado remote intervention leaving me without heating/hw for the weekend - pity they dont tell you this prior to commencing install. And who on earth designed a system that the installer has to rely on the manufacturer to remotely configure during office hours only. Ridiculous.
    That does sound a bit insane. Do you know what they configured?