Refer your friends and get £50 each — Bulb Community

Refer your friends and get £50 each

edited July 14 in Help & Support
To celebrate the launch of our referral programme we're setting the rewards HIGH. We'll probably have to bring this down in the future, but we wanted to reward our early members for sticking with us from the beginning.

For every signup, both you and your friend will get £50 each. Do this with enough friends and you'll never have to pay for energy again!

How do I get my reward?
We’ll add credit to your Bulb accounts when your friend’s switch completes successfully. This will be 3 weeks after they sign you up. We’ll shoot you both an email when it happens. It’s possible that your friend might not complete the switch. Fingers crossed this won’t happen though.

How many times can I earn this reward?
About 26 million. There are “only” about 26 million homes in the UK, so you’ve got a few to get through before you run out. The reward amount may change in the future, so make the most of it while it’s available.

How can I tell who I’ve referred?
We’ll send you an email whenever someone signs up with your link. We’re also building a fancy referral dashboard with useful features where you can see this as well. We’ll let you know when this is ready.

How should I invite people?
People like to put off thinking about their energy, so why not get them a quote when you’re together. Email, twitter and carrier pigeon all work pretty well too. To track the referral, you will need to make sure your friend uses your unique referral link. It looks like this: www.bulb.co.uk/refer/examplelink

Comments

• If I sign up via a refer a friend link, how much of my personal information is shared with the owner of the "refer a friend" link? Is it just my name or are other details shared? Cheers
  • edited May 2016
    @gromit

Currently just your first name and whether or not their switch to Bulb has completed. The email says something along the line of "Will is now a member". But with a bit more pizazz.

In the future though, we're going to do something cool around how much the referrer has saved their recruits in both money and CO2.

We won't ever share email address, date of birth, address, postcode, phone number, or anything else that would be considered personal. When we've built the ability to send out email invites directly to friends through the site you will be able to see whether or not that email address has signed up, but since you already knew it, it isn't giving away any information.
  • How does this work with the billing? Once I have a completed referral how does it show up on the billing screen? I assume the monthly direct debit stays the same and I'm just more in credit.

I would refer them to get them on to renewable anyway, it's just good to know.

As a separate unrelated aside:
    I really like your font apart from the commas. They look too similar to the full stops.
  • edited July 2016
    @_dd Yep, you're correct. It'll be added as a credit to your account and your monthly payment remains the same. We're happy to refund credit at any point, so if you build up too much just get in touch and we'll sort that out for you. We also regularly review members' credit levels, so you don't have to keep an eye on it.

Hmm yes, you're right. It is a bit hard to discern sometimes. I'll have a chat with the team about it, but unless we find a new font it might be hard to do something about it. We'll see.
  • I think I messed up my referral link by using the name of the person I was referring rather than my own. Is it possible to change it?
  • Hi @juliamay,

Sure we can change it for you. Your old one won't work anymore once we've changed it, so you'll have to reshare it with them. What would you like your new link to be?
  • @rosemaryw

All done. Good luck referring people to Bulb :)
  • Does my referee have to sign up within 3 minutes of receiving my referral link or within 3 minutes of my sending it for us to get the rewards? That's a very short time frame.
  • There's no limited time frame @rosemaryw, the 3 minutes is just how long it takes on average for someone to sign up. It sounds like the text in our email and the sign up page is a bit confusing so I'll take a look at that to make it clearer.

As long as they start their sign up from your link then you'll both get your rewards.
  • Lol, I'm easily confused. I'm too pedantic!
  • No @rosemaryw it's great for us to get this feedback! Anything we can do to make it clearer is good :)
  • Hi, I'm afraid I've messed up my refferal link too! Could you change it to michaelp please?
  • Sure thing @michaelp, all done now for you. Remember, your old link won't work anymore, so you'll have to reshare your link with everyone before they can get the £50 credit.
  • @will how do I get my link please, I've someone to possibly sign up
  • Hiya @gindygoo, once you've signed up you can create a link by going to my.bulb.co.uk/refer. It'll take only 2 seconds to set it up.
  • edited December 2016
    Hi, I think I messed up my referral link by using the name of the person I was referring rather than my own. Is it possible to change it?
    Thanks Can I just change it to my name? joanneMansfield
  • @carolgarrysteers We can change it for you, just le me know what you'd like it to be and I'll get it done right away.
  • will said:

@carolgarrysteers We can change it for you, just le me know what you'd like it to be and I'll get it done right away.

Great, can I just change it to joannemansfield ? thanks

• All sorted @joannemansfield. As with everyone else, your old referral link will no longer work, so you'll have to share your new one with anyone who might be thinking of signing up.
  • edited February 9
    our friends joined bulb and put our name in the referral during sign up with uswitch I think , will the rewards for them and us come through as they used this route and haven't used the customer link? thanks
  • our friends joined bulb and put our name in the referral during sign up, with uswitch I think , will this referral come through this route as they haven't used the customer link? thanks
  • edited February 10
    Has the offer ended now?

On my referral page now there's now no mention of the £50 credit, other than the credit the new member receives. It used to say "You both get £50" and now it says "They get £50".
  • cdigrassi said:

our friends joined bulb and put our name in the referral during sign up, with uswitch I think , will this referral come through this route as they haven't used the customer link? thanks

No, that wouldn't work.
  • I have switched to bulb and I tried to use a referral code but I'm not sure if it worked, I sent an email a few days ago but haven't heard back whether the code can still be applied.
  • Hi everyone!

@cdigrassi we aren't able to offer referral rewards when using price comparison websites, sorry! Next time you refer someone please make sure they sign up using your referral web link and you will both receive £50.

@tomkiss both new Bulb member and the existing member that did the referral receive £50 credit, @tomkiss I salute your busy referring.

@spiket because you got in contact so quickly and enrolled through our website we will credit yours and your friends account with £50 when you switch. Thanks so much. Welcome to Bulb.
  • james_d said:

@tomkiss both new Bulb member and the existing member that did the referral receive £50 credit, @tomkiss I salute your busy referring.

Oh, cool! Thanks for confirming.

Is there any reason the website copy changed? It's not very clear that that's the case now.

Still, great news! :)
  • edited February 14
    Can you please reset my referral link, I put the persons name I want to refer rather than my own. Doh!
  • @tomkiss that is great feedback, I have suggested it to the tech guys