How do I read my meter and submit a reading? — Bulb Community

How do I read my meter and submit a reading?

bulbbulb Posts: 64 Team Bulb
edited January 4 in Help & Support
Both gas and electricity meters differ slightly as there are various types.

Submitting a Reading:

To give us a reading either go to MyBulb or email help@bulb.co.uk.

How do I know which meter is which?

The easiest way to tell your gas and electricity meters apart from each other is to look for "kWh" on the front of the box. This will only show on the electricity meter. This stands for kilowatt hours. On the gas meter it will measure your usage in different units, so it will say either m3 or ft3.

If you aren't sure which are your meters and which are your neighbours', get in touch. We'll look up the serial numbers written on the front of your meters.

Smart Meters:

At the moment, suppliers can't read other suppliers. smart meters remotely. This is being worked on by the regulators, but we can't say for sure when we'll be able to remotely read other suppliers' smart meters.

Taking a reading varies a bit. Generally if there is a number pad, press 9 and your readings should show. If not, press the buttons and see what shows up. Don't worry, you can't break it! You're looking for a number followed by "KWH" for your electricity reading and numbers followed by "M3" for your gas reading. Give us a ring on 0300 30 30 635 if you have any problems and we'll be able to help.

Reading Gas Meters:

Meter reading is 00254. Write down the 5 numbers shown from left to right. Ignore the number(s) after the decimal point which may be shown in red.

Meter reading is 2988. Write down the 4 numbers shown from left to right. Ignore the number(s) shown in red.

Meter reading is 6456. Read the four dials from left to right along the bottom row only – ignore any others and write down the number closest to each pointer. When the pointer is between two numbers, write down the lower number. If the pointer is between 9 and 0 write down 9.
Remember each dial turns in the opposite direction to the one before it, so check which way each turns.

Reading Electricity Meters:

Meter reading is 07220. Write down the 5 numbers shown from left to right. Ignore the last number(s) which may be shown in red.

Meter reading is 56315, 27457. For both top and bottom rows, write down the numbers shown left to right. Ignore the last number(s) which may be shown in red.

Some two rate meters only have one digital display and they either flash up the different rate readings in a cycle or you need to press the button to make the display cycle through the readings for each rate.

Meter reading is 76416. Read the first 5 dials from left to right, ignoring the dial marked 1/10. Write down the number that the pointer has just passed. Sometimes the sequence of numbers on each dial can alternate from clockwise to anti-clockwise, so keep an eye out for that.

If there are more spaces in the MyBulb form than you have dials, just leave any preceding boxes as zero. For example, if you have 4 dials, but are asked for 6 numbers then put in two zeros and then your reading.

How often will a meter reader come?

Everyone will be visited by a meter reader at least once a year for a reading and safety check. The company we use is called Morrison Data Services.

Comments

• pinkcalculatorpinkcalculator Posts: 120 Poet ✭✭
    Do you send round meter readers ? what company would they be from and what identifying documents would they have to prove they are official meter readers ? how often would they come ?
  • willwill Posts: 719 Community Honcho
    edited January 3
    Edit: We now use Morrison Data Services, not G4S.

Yep, we send round meter readers. Everyone will be visited by a meter reader at least once a year for a reading and safety check. The company we use is called G4S, they're the only company who can do what we need across the whole country.

The readers will have identification and will be in a G4S uniform. I'll make sure that we get a picture of their ID so that members can check it on the website if they'd like.

Great questions.
  • iyasiyas Posts: 3 Dabbler ✭
    Shame. I didn't know you used G4S. I love your ethos, but in my books this company is about as far away from ethical as they come.
    Hi @iyas

You should take a read of this post. We agree with you that the work that parts of G4S do are against our values. This post goes into a lot of detail on why we chose to work with them and how this will change in the near future. Here's the key bit from it:
    amit said:

This week G4S Group announced that it would be selling off Utility Services, so that it can concentrate on its core businesses of security and cash transportation. This underlines how separate the metering business was to the rest of the organisation, and is something that we welcome. This sale is set to happen over the next year (here's the announcement )

• iyasiyas Posts: 3 Dabbler ✭
    Thanks Will. It seemed really incongruous for a company with your ethical creds to be doing business with a company tangled up in Human Rights abuses, so I'm pleased that this will be coming to an end. Thank you for your reply.
    No worries, you're welcome. Just shout if you have any other questions :)
  • shez82shez82 Posts: 2 Dabbler ✭
    Hi, couple of points:

1. I have a smart meter, can you take readings from that or do I need to manually submit a reading every month.
    2. Can you put some instructions or links (if there are many types) for reading the smart meter, with mine at least it's not obvious how, I've found out now but may be useful for other folks.
    Hi @shez82

Good questions
    1) We cannot take readings from smart meters remotely yet. The nationwide smart meter rollout was done with very little cohesion between suppliers, so one suppliers meters can't necessarily be read by others. A source of immense frustration. Luckily things are going to be changing in the industry soon(ish) so that there is a standard between all suppliers. We're also working on being able to remotely read some smart meters, so we might be able to read yours remotely at some point too.

2) Good idea. I'll see if we can find some resources on how to read various smart meters manually. And if we can't find any we'll make some. I'll add it to my to do list now.
  • corvuscorvus Posts: 4 Scribe ✭
    for Ovo meters it's press 9 on the meter. The ridiculously awful little display thingie doesn't seem to show the actual reading.

Then fill it in on here. Then get a smacked wrist and be told to go back and do it properly because the umpteen leading zeros have to be put in by hand :(

Thanks @corvus

Good point about the leading zeros. We should think about redesigning that page if it's not as helpful as it should be,
    It's not a big deal, I'd recommend sitting in the sun instead.

That said, gas was easy, write number in field, So it's not obvious why electricity needs tellytubby style individual digit entry boxes at all, with or without leading zeros.

Well it's the little things that make the difference, so lets look at getting that changed. Because, why wouldn't we?
  • illenajosephillenajoseph Posts: 1 Dabbler ✭
    edited May 2016
    Thanks for sharing great knowledge. I also wants to share those steps with you:-

To read dial gas meter we have to follow below mentioned steps:-
    -You have to read the dials from left to right.
    -Do not read any large or red dials.
    -If the pointer is between two numbers, write down the lower number.
    -If the number is between 9 and 0, use 9.
    -If the pointer is exactly on a number, write it down and underline it.
    -If any of the underlined numbers you have written down are followed by a 9, you’ll need to take one away from the number you’ve underlined.

To read dial electricity meter, below mentioned steps is to be followed:-
    -You have to read the dials from left to right.
    -If the pointer is between two numbers, write down the lower number.
    -If the pointer is between 0 and 9, use 9
    -If the pointer is exactly on a number, write it down and underline it
    -If any of the underlined numbers you have written down are followed by a 9, you will need to take one away from the number you’ve underlined.
    will said:

Well it's the little things that make the difference, so lets look at getting that changed. Because, why wouldn't we?

:)

fwiw I've just filled in my second meter reading. Not only are the pointless leading zeros still there, on both electricity and gas pages, but also I'm now being told that I've done it all wrong

apparently because the decimal point is in the wrong place, but that's under your control not mine.

@corvus, getting things like this changed takes a wee while. Our road map right now is heavily focused on making our referral programme as good as possible, so we haven't had a chance to slot it in. It's still a great idea and we will do it. It just takes a little while is all.

That message comes up if your reading is quite a bit different to what the energy industry tells us they're expecting. It doesn't mean you've done anything wrong at all, it just needs a quick double check.

Cheers,

Will
  • katetilerkatetiler Posts: 1 Dabbler ✭
    We just moved into a new house with smart meters that were put in by Eon and don't give a clue on how to read them - they are 'Liberty' Secure meters. I googled this and found a really helpful video of a chap showing how to take a reading by pressing the little '9' button -
    Thanks @katetiler great find,

And, fun fact, I know him! I've met Flaxvert and Miniflax a bunch of times. I'll have to let him know that he's getting more famous.
    iyas said:

Thanks Will. It seemed really incongruous for a company with your ethical creds to be doing business with a company tangled up in Human Rights abuses, so I'm pleased that this will be coming to an end. Thank you for your reply.

Hi @iyas, a quick update on this; the sale of G4S's Utility Services completed on the 28th Dec, so we are now using Morrison Data Services for our meter job needs.

All the best,
    Will
  • maxmax Posts: 2 Dabbler ✭
    edited January 7
    Hey guys,

I have two electricity meters like you mention in this post - but I'm unclear which one to submit on My Bulb? Should I submit both or one (if so which one)?

Cheers,

Max
  • james_djames_d Posts: 29 Team Bulb
    Hi @max

We understand that first meter reads can be a bit tricky! If you (or any other members) are unsure how to read their meter just take a couple of photos of the meters and email them over to help@bulb.co.uk and we can advise on how to take a read.

Thanks!
    James

• maxmax Posts: 2 Dabbler ✭
    OK thanks James - will do. I know how to read it but just don't know how to submit both of them - but will email.
  • james_djames_d Posts: 29 Team Bulb
    Max,

Roger that. We are just getting this sorted out and will email you today.

Thanks
    James
  • switchtorenewablesswitchtorenewables Posts: 1 Dabbler ✭
    It would be helpful if you could really spell it out on this page whether the first reading from a two rate meter is the day reading and the second for the night. I'm assuming that is the case but it wasn't clear and I've had to look a bit to try to find that out without success. Just needs spelling out for idiots like me!
  • sj_hansj_han Posts: 52 Team Bulb
    Hey @switchtorenewables, the frustrating answer is "it depends", as every meter is different. Usually the first is rate1/day/normal. So go for that. If it's wrong, the energy industry will flag it to us and we'll look at it and correct it. If you'd like more information about your meter then just give us a buzz on 0300 30 30 635 or email in a picture of your meter.