5 ways to stop climate change without changing your lifestyle — Bulb Community

5 ways to stop climate change without changing your lifestyle

edited September 2016 in From the Blog

image5 ways to stop climate change without changing your lifestyle

We don’t know who started the rumour that combating climate change calls for huge lifestyle adjustments, but we're here to tell you it simply isn’t true.

Read the full story here

Comments

• "Bulbers save £242 a year on average". I'm guessing this presumes customers are currently on a standard tariff as your renewable tariff is £72 more expensive than the cheapest in market tariff (which is available in all regions) at average consumption?
  • @dannyh that's actually the average across all members joining Bulb. If someone had what ofgem call "typical consumption values" 3,100 kwh electricity and 12,500 kwh gas and was on a Big Six standard tariff, they'd save between £222 and £263 depending on which supplier they're with.
  • "On average, home electronics use 75% of their power when you are sleeping." I don't understand this - does it mean that home electronics standby use power is 75% of in-use power, or that 75 % of total home electronics power use occurs at night - either way I can't see how this is true.
  • @emily it means that of energy used by the electronics, most is used passively while it's in standby modes, because devices are in standby mode so much. By turning them off where possible we can reduce their power consumption.
  • I would like to see the data which shows 75% of electronics energy consumption is used in standby mode - it would depend on which appliances are included in the category "home electronics" and what you count as standby mode - is a wireless router counted as being in standby mode if you're not on the internet, for instance. The Energy Saving Trust says "On average UK households spend £30 a year powering appliances left in standby mode" so if this is 75% of total consumption for home electronics then your total spend would be £40, which is pretty low. I think my main issue is with the suggestion that 75% of electronics power use occurs while you are sleeping - if appliances use, say, the equivalent of 10% of in-use power in standby mode then you would have to be asleep for most of the 24 hours in a day for this to be true. It's a false statement. I am all for people switching off appliances rather than leaving them in standby mode to reduce their energy consumption and greenhouse gas emissions - I think this should be encouraged - but your suggested lifestyle change massively overstates the savings to be made from not leaving things in standby mode. I think it is misleading and leads to complacency if people think they are having a bigger impact than they actually are.
  • Fly fewer miles. For most people I know (probably your target market) this is the single biggest change they could make.
  • Hey! This is great! You should check out Ecosia- it's a search engine that lets you plant trees whilst you browse the web, as you do! It donates 80 percent of its profits it gets from ad revenue to reforestation programmes around the world! And it has a tree counter so you can track the impact you are having by using it! https://info.ecosia.org/what <3
  • Great suggestion @nikmaks, genuinely. That's really cool.
  • Compost any unavoidable vegetable or fruit waste.
    Mend and/or upcycle existing clothes, rather than buying new ones every time.
    Get electrical appliances fixed rather than replacing them.
    If you don't yet have those skills, find a local Restart Project event at which to learn them. Some are being combined with other forms of repair workshop - eg repairing bikes, clothes etc.
  • Don't have children. Or have fewer children!!! This will have the greatest positive impact on the environment.
  • Next time you buy a car, get one with a stop-start feature. Fuel burnt while you stand still in traffic costs you money, harms the planet and DOESN'T EVEN GET YOU ANYWHERE!!
  • ''Livestock causes (..). a bigger impact on climate change than transport.// Giving up meat for one day a week is equivalent to taking your car off the road for one month each year''

1 month a year = 30 days < 1 day a week for a year = 52 days
    (Transport is worse [obviously])
    I'm not pro killing for food but I can't ignore this irregardless of what somebody's intentions are. Fact checking is a crucial part of writing about important issues otherwise it undermines your cause. Now it begs the question, where did all the other data come from?

Have a blessed day.

• Are electric cars really that eco? Surely masses of energy is still used in their manufacture, transport, maintenance and ultimately disposal?
  • It's a great point @izzy, and one that some electric car manufacturers are starting to think about too. Telsa's latest Gigafactory is aiming to be completely self sufficient on solar power, and so as long as you charge it with renewable energy your carbon footprint will be significantly less than using a combustion car.
  • Surprised you didn't deal with this... I think one major thing that was left off was how to tackle climate change through our power as citizens. All the above concerned the different ways in which we can act as consumers. Of energy, food - so those things are about lifestyle change. In fact, even less effort or change required by engaging with climate/carbon/ environmental legislation, contacting local MP when acts are due to be voted on, commenting on consultations both local and national, signing a petition supporting legislation around renewables, or international climate agreements. Supporting renewables locally. Voting for the political party that best answers your own vision for a low carbon future. Joining that party.... all that stuff.
    Yes all the things about turn your sockets off at night is very well meaning and has a real place in helping us feel we are making a positive and meaningful contribution to reduce our impact on the world, but what really helps us on the way to a low carbon economy is decent market regulation and change at a legislation level that supports that transition. Less sexy sounding than meat free Mondays, but absolutely creating the right societal environment for the seismic change needed.
  • You're absolutely right @kcjones14 that is a great way to contribute. We're planning a follow-up article to this one, so that'll be a great point to add to it. Thanks!
  • Lots of comments! i) As someone else has commented - fly less. Was being berated about my 14 year old diesel car - we looked up into an unusually blue sky and could see 6 contrails (countryside mid Wales) and it made me look up how much aviation fuel a 747 uses. 4L/sec 240L/min ~14,500L/hr. Aviation is exempt from all discussion about emissions. ii) if bulb is going to use bio-gas from anaerobic digestion how can it ensure that they won't be using gas (or electricity) generated from anaerobic digesters that are using maize - i.e. growing maize, with it problems with soil erosion,chemical treatments, and run off to feed ADs.? iii) P.S. Unless you owned the wind turbine and benefited from the feed in tariff for the electricity that the wind turbine generates , shown in the graphic above, you wouldn't want to live that close to it!
  • Great points @kris_12

Flying is a massive deal for sure. Flying less is a great way to do more. We'll look at including that in follow up articles.

Our biogas currently comes from pig waste, not maize. Although we can't say for certain how the pigs are fed. We aren't experts on soil erosion, so we'll have to have a look into that.
  • The whole issue of manmade CO2 and global warming is still very speculative and uncertain, official government propaganda notwithstanding. We still cannot actually measure it, and hence cannot say what if any impact man is having.

This means the suggestions below may have little or no effect, despite being expensive or degrading of your life experience in other ways...
  • Sorry to hear that you've chosen to not believe in man-made climate change Peter. We've found the science behind it to be complete and conclusive. We're having a real, negative and damning impact on the planet and we need to do everything we can to fight that. These beginner steps are just a small part of that.
  • 98% of the scientific community recognise that human influence is having a highly negative effect on the planet. Whether it is poisoning the seas, destroying habit, 70% loss of wildlife species or melting ice caps...we are having a negative effect. Peter's comment is ridiculous - these are positive changes for your wallet, your health and the planet.
  • @will every time you write a comment/reply, your post number (717) never changes. Are you on a fixed rate? Climate change is real people! whether you choose to believe or not. Remember, it took a long time for people to believe the world wasn't flat.
  • @bulbette, my post number shows my total number of posts ever, rather than the number of each individual post I make. So now that I've made this one it should be 718 on all my posts.
  • A few years ago I started to gradually go more ethical, it's not so hard if you do it bit by bit. Use ethical consumer website to help you choose. I now have more ethical power, banking, mortgage so I know my money is not going to destroying the planet or the lives of people on it.
  • Going meatless is a great way to personally impact climate change so why not every day? Once you know the facts, you can't un-know them. Help the animals, the earth, and yourselves by going vegan. It's never been so easy.
  • One of best things i have done is make my house totally led lit. I did it when gu10 bulb replacements were £9 each . just my kitchens usage went from 600w to 50w and i made my money back in abt 1.5 years . that was 5 years ago and now they cost a lot less so the upfront cost is well down .
  • Some people have to drive distances in the course of their work, we all have to use energy in our homes and although there are improvements that can reduce our carbon footprint the one easy, practical thing that we can do is - stop supporting the animal agriculture industry. It's easy! The number of vegan alternatives are increasing by the day, it's also cheaper than eating animals. Shocking statistics such as 1kg of beef requiring 15'415 litres of water to produce provide an example of how resource heavy this "industry" is. Factor in the horrendous cruelty of the animal agriculture industry, and the increasing number of reports such as that by the World Health Org concerning processed meat being class1 carcinogenic it's surely a no-brainer! You can help the environment, animals and your health by simply stopping paying for dead animals. Choose Life! Go Vegan.