Smart meter trial. Are they smets2? — Bulb Community

Smart meter trial. Are they smets2?

Am I right in assuming that the trial is of smets2?, the ones that can be read by any energy company.
Just started the switch process, after getting fed up with first utility constantly nagging to have a smets1 meter installed :-(
If so can I be added to the trial list?

Comments

• I've just started the switching process and was waiting for the smets 2 .is this going to be this on your trial ?if so can I be added to the trial list also ?
  • @Gavin23, Gwar, yes the trial from Bulb will be for SMETS2 meters.
  • @Gavin23 - yes the meters will be SMETs2 meters. We have been holding off rolling out smart meters until SMETs2 were available.
  • edited April 2018
    Can I be added to the smart meter trial?
  • I see you are allowing people to join the new smart meter trial. I have SMETS1 meters from First:Utility and Siemens. I was planning to switch to Bulb in July, but can I apply now to join the trial when I switch? If so I don't need to wait until July.
  • Hi @arthur255 you need to have an account with us to join the beta phase. Hopefully with the software upgrade, we will be able to access your SMETS1 smart meter remotely and you might not need a new meter at all.
  • Hi, Can I be added to the trial too please?
  • edited July 2018
    @daverw and any others, please sign up using the form here.
  • I will require a new smart gas and new smart meter connection for my new self build home. I want to stay with Bulb. Hence there will be an overlap between my two accounts. Northern Power Grid informs me that,"Your energy supplier is responsible for installing the electricity meter." However I can't find provision for my situation on the My Account section of the Buld website or a direct way to address the company with this issue. Yours Walter Bathwater
  • Further to Owen's reply at May 7, 2018 3:40PM, can I proceed now by signing up for a switch, and can you then put me on the beta?
  • HI @arthur255 Please do proceed with the sign up and as soon as you get your welcome pack, use the link above to the beta!

Thanks,
    Sam
  • Thanks very much. My wife does not want yet another meter change, as last time it created a lot of work for her, first making access to the meters, and also afterwards we had multiple unscheduled visits from Lowri-Beck and another reading agency, which required her to be here on each occasion to let them in! So if you would be able to do a software upgrade to access our SMETS1 smart meters remotely that would mean my wife would confirm and we would switch now. Our current SMETS1 meters have the following serial number prefixes: Gas G4P03 Electricity 16P03, which I hope enables you to answer my wife's point. Both were installed on 03/10/2016 by Siemens for First:Utility.
  • PS: I omitted to say above: I am disabled and use a wheel-chair much of the time. I am an amputee (TF) and have hypertension and a past stroke.
  • Hi there @arthur255 unfortunately at the moment it isn't super clear whether or not we'll be able to put through a software update to turn smets1 into smets2 meters. We certainly hope so-it would save a lot of people a lot of hassle-but we can't say yay or nay absolutely at the moment. If you were to switch over and then sign up for the beta, that would involve installing a physical smets2 meter to the best of my knowledge.
  • My wife has agreed (reluctantly) to risk the possibility of a further meter change, on the basis that this should be the last time! Obviously if the SMETS1 can be upgraded that would be best. So I will now make an application today and then apply to the beta once I have my account set up. Thanks again.
  • I have now registered for beta trial having set up a new account.
  • @arthur255 Thanks for joining the beta test on the Smart Meters. We'll let you know if there are any updates on the SMETS1 situation
  • Do we have a date for when the trials will start ?
  • Hi there @vijay86 no fixed date yet, to my knowledge, but we'll be rolling them out throughout the second half of this year
  • @David at Bulb, does that mean that there have been more issues since the last delay dropped the date back to July (estimated)?

I know the DCC aren't exactly moving fast with their side but it would be good to know more if you know any more.
  • @mowcius As ever with new technology, there are a lot of (necessary) hoops to jump through. This includes getting approved access to the smart network, securing a metering operator to source and install meters, making sure that we will be able to have enough smart meters themselves to distribute and also making sure we have the right security systems in place as well.

If one of these pieces has a delay it, unfortunately, has a domino effect on the rest of the chain. We have been begun testing the use of these meters out in the field so it's all ticking along!
  • edited May 2018
    @SJ at Bulb the fact that you have meters out in real world testing is good to hear. Can you now advise as to which meters and other devices (IHDs or otherwise) you're testing?

I understand the complications with rolling the devices out, it's just nice to have an idea of timescales.
  • Hey @mowcius - part of the testing is seeing which exact meters and IHDs will work best for our members, so we can't yet confirm which models we'll be using as we haven't decided.

And equally we can't be sure how long it will be until we've finished the lab testing and we can roll out our beta phase. We're still very definitely gunning for the second half of 2018 but giving a more exact timeline would be ambitious given how much unexpected stuff has already popped up.
  • May I be added to the SMETs2 smart meter trial?
  • Hi we live in a bungalow with our gas/ electric meters at either end of the house, about 15-20 meters apart. Would this be a issue or would Both meters be placed together where one of the meters was previously located.
  • edited May 2018
    You seem to be quite some way from doing the SMETS2 beta. As I know I will get a lot of stick over this, I have decided to stay put for now and have cancelled my switch. If you can confirm as things progress I will probably start it again. If you can upgrade my SMETS1 meter to SMETS2 then I will be able to switch sooner.
  • Hi @Malek if you pop over to https://docs.google.com/forms/d/10kQ9xBGxZPDNPs5EWkk-8oEDNDvCj-VMWVfTNUzW5b0/viewform?edit_requested=true you'll be able to sign up for our beta, welcome! @Shane I believe that we'll be installing the smart meters where the current meters are, otherwise there'll be issues related to moving pipes and rewiring walls and whatnot, which you'd have to get the distributor for your area in for, making it quite a large job. @arthur255 we're certainly sorry to see you go, and I hope that when we start rolling the smart meters out you'll be able to hop over to us. We do totally understand though that in some cases switching with smart meters already installed can make things pretty tricky, I've seen cases where they've been installed behind walls and so on making them totally inaccessible, not great for manually getting readings out of them. If you keep an eye on the community and the blog we'll keep you updated on the beta progress, and you can always get in touch directly if you're looking for a status report
  • Is there any more news yet on upgrading SMETS1 meters to SMETS2 functionality?

My cancelled switch got screwed up and my SMETS1 meter was disabled. I am still awaiting reactivation by First:Utility, with whom I am staying until the SMETS2 beta is able to proceed. When it is I shall re-start the switch.
  • Thanks very much. This delay means my switch to Bulb now won’t be until late 2018. My wife does not want a fourth meter change - so we will wait until this upgrading of SMETS1 meters to SMETS2 functionality is available.
  • edited June 2018
    As I understand it you can switch to Bulb with your current smart meter, the only difference is that you will have to manually read the meter and send the details to Bulb. It is explained here: https://help.bulb.co.uk/hc/en-us/articles/115001232092-Can-I-switch-to-Bulb-with-a-smart-meter-
  • There is no benefit for us in switching until either my existing SMETS1 meters are upgraded to SMETS2 functionality, OR you replace them as part of your Beta. My wife does not want to keep reading meters - we thought that hassle ended 18 months ago! I am unable to get to the meters myself due to disability and inaccessibility of the meters.
  • @Allanr @arthur255 We are working on getting smart functionality into first-generation smart meters. If you would like in the meantime we can arrange for meter readers to come to your property every three months to keep your bills accurate?
  • My cancelled switch a month ago has resulted in First:Utility not being able to access my meter readings. They said this would be rectified nearly 3 weeks ago but it still isn't working (as far as I can tell from the IHD). I have given them until the billing month end (early July) to get it sorted, so if they don't, I may take up your suggestion.
  • Hi @arthur255 sounds like a plan, just let us know if you would like us to set that up after switching
  • To update my last post from about three weeks ago. I am still with First:Utility - and can't see that changing until my two SMETS1 meters can both be upgraded to SMETS2. F:U have re-enabled the existing meters. My wife does not want the hassle of grovelling under the stairs to read meters. I can't get there myself due to disability.
  • @arthur255 Glad that they have managed to re-enable the existing meters :)
  • arthur255 said:

until my two SMETS1 meters can both be upgraded to SMETS2

As far as I'm aware, the main change between SMETS2 and SMETS1 meters is the implementation of Zigbee Smart Energy 1.2(a). This is not something that can simply be upgraded, and requires new hardware, hence the new meters.

It will be possible for SMETS1 meters to be used with all suppliers at some point soon (TM) but that's not the same as having an SMETS2 meter.

• Thanks. The name does not matter - I am just interested in being able to get bills without reading meters. Several energy companies claim that the relevant software upgrade is coming soon.
  • Hi @arthur255 that is something that we (and other suppliers) are working on, and we should be able to give you some news on this in the near future
  • I meant to ask before but forgot: How do the smart meters Bulb uses interact with Photovoltaic (PV) Solar Panels? I have had PV since late 2011 and First:Utility told me their smart meters do not need to know. However somebody since implied that SMETS2 meters may be able to send PV generation readings as well as traditional consumption readings.
  • Hi @arthur255 , we will definitely collect "export" readings from SMETS2 meters - i.e., how much has been exported onto the grid from your panels.

We are still investigating whether it will be possible to collect data on total solar generation remotely. This would be ideal because it would mean panel owners such as yourself would no longer have to submit quarterly meter readings for their FIT payments. We will keep you updated.
  • Thanks. Do you yet know whether the PV export will be handled only by SMETS2 models, or will an upgraded SMETS1 be capable of this?

That may determine whether we need to have a new SMETS2 or not. My wife would not mind a fourth electricity meter change (!) if it will mean no more FIT readings have to be done. Our PV meter is situated very near the SMETS1 meter.
  • I understand from another thread that you will soon be able to handle FIT payments. I still do them via Scottish Power (our supplier six years ago). I presume that once you can handle the smart meter readings and I switch supplier to Bulb (see above posts), I can then do the FIT switch too? Does one have to give any period of notice? You presumably need a copy of the MCS installer certificate? It currently only shows 1.47kW (six panels), but we increased it soon after by 50% so it is now 2.205kW (nine). There was delay because the original installer went bust without completing the work.
  • Can anybody respond to the above (last two posts) please? Two more weeks have passed.