Beta testing the Android app — Bulb Community

Beta testing the Android app

edited January 12 in About Bulb
I'm psyched to announce that we now have our Android app live in beta!

We've already sent out invites to everyone who signed up, but don't worry if you missed it - we're keen for all the feedback we can get about how this app works since Android encompasses a bunch of different devices and OS version.

To access the app, head to https://play.google.com/apps/testing/uk.co.bulb.my on your phone's browser and follow the instructions to download. You will need a Google Play store account.

After you've spent some time using it, we have a few questions so please comment below:

- Is it easy to use?
- Is anything confusing?
- Did anything unexpected happen?
- Is anything missing or doesn't look right?
- Anything else?

Make sure you include the device and operating system you tested on in your feedback. Otherwise we’ll struggle to fix any bugs.

Thanks so much,
Sian

Comments

• edited January 12
    Hi
    android 7.1.1 oneplus A5010

Overall layout looks very good and seems to work. So far only put an electricity meter reading in. each tab loads fast, it would be nice to be able to swipe left and right on the screen to get to the next tab. Also a torch button on each meter reading page that turns the flash on and then automatically turns it off when you leave that page would be nice.

Yours

Tim
  • Looks good to me so far. I'm on a OnePlus 3T running Android 8.0.0 (Oxygen OS 5.0.1) Using Bulb app version 1.0.2.3 build 3

- It's easy to use.
    - When I tap "readings" at the bottom I expect a list of historic readings rather than just a "send us a reading" option, as that's already on the home page.
    - Nothing unexpected has happened. I was able to submit some readings today.
    - As above with "readings" not looking right, and maybe the "Payment" button should be called "Pay+Bills" ? It might also be good to be able to say what date a reading was taken (perhaps allowing going back 2 or 3 days from the current day)
    - Nothing else immediately jumps to mind but I've only just switched so only have one pair of readings so far. I've just added another pair. It's good to see the Meter Serial numbers and MPRN/MPAN.

Nice work!

Tony
  • Only had a chance to have a quick look around so far, but a great effort in my opinion! Only question so far:

If I submit meter readings will these be applied to my account or considered as test data?
  • As someone who's still in the process of switching, the app is currently closed out and takes me (correctly) to a "still switching" page.

Will report back once switch complete.

Pixel XL android 8.1
  • Immediately it looks great.

Some observations / Feedback, from Android v7.01 on an LG G5.
    • Rather than 'Home' be a statement of my balance, I'd prefer this to be a dashboard-style view of my usage. Maybe YTD, LM, predicted usage. For me, a Home screen should be a summary of the apps main function. Personally, my account balance is secondary to managing my usage.
    • Readings: Nice and functional, and a nice touch to include the meter serial number/identifier.
    • Readings: A couple of idiosyncrasies however:
      Gas reading it states: "Your previous meter reading was 02650 m3 on 6th Jan 2018".
      Electricity reading: "Your previous standard meter reading was 8589.4 kWh on 6th Jan 2018"
      1. It took me comparing both pages to realise "m3" was a unit of measurement. Could the '3' be superscript to indicate it clearer?
      2. Why is electricity referred to as a 'standard' reading, and gas not?
      3. The use of a decimal in the electricity reading is inconsistent with the website readings. Also, I have never given a reading to 1 decimal point. The x.4 is incorrect.

• Clarity on the Statement / payment (Bills?) screen that additional items can be viewed on the website. Or please make this an itemised statement screen like on the website and include all credits and debits.
    A feature suggestion - A toggle button when submitting a reading, to turn your phone's flashlight on (to help with taking the reading).
  • Seems fairly easy to use. However I hope to see an energy usage graph, as well as the future predicted readings included.
    On the Galaxy S8+ it also doesn't expand to fit the screen by default, I would expect a new app being developed to be fully compatible with a flagship Android device.
  • Edit:
    Frank said:

3. The use of a decimal in the electricity reading is inconsistent with the website readings. Also, I have never given a reading to 1 decimal point. The x.4 is incorrect.

Looking at the json data the app is getting, I can see this reading is 'Estimate', which then made me realise I'd missed that key detail on the readings shown on the website.
    It would still be good to have clarification that the app is showing an estimated reading, and keep the decimalisation consistent across app and website.

• Samsung Galaxy S8+ running the latest version of Nougat with all updates applied.

For me, the app was slow to download / install and I'm on fast (200 Meg and 4G) connections. I did wonder whether it was actually going ahead couple of times but I eventually got a message to say it had installed and a shortcut was created.

Logged in with no problems or delays and everything is clear and easy to read.

I haven't taken meter readings yet but will do to test the functionality.

Like others I'd appreciate a 'dashboard' of historical usage on one of the pages.

Will add more when I've had time to navigate around it some more. So far, looking very good!
  • TonyBrett said:

- It's easy to use.
    - When I tap "readings" at the bottom I expect a list of historic readings rather than just a "send us a reading" option, as that's already on the home

I agree with the above. I would also add that it's not immediately obvious you need to enter five digits. As I recently had new meters installed I am only at 3 digits and I needed to enter 00 prior to both readings. May not be obvious to everyone.

. each tab loads fast, it would be nice to be able to swipe left and right on the screen to get to the next tab. Also a torch button on each meter reading page that turns the flash on and then automatically turns it off when you leave that page would be nice.
    These features suggested by tim would be nice and I agree on the torch front.

The app does what it needs to, very efficient and fast to respond which isn't always the case with previous providers.

Finally I am on a Samsung J5 running Android 7.0

Neil
  • I'm not sure I agree with the need for a torch button, as most Android phones build this into the notification area?
  • I'm not sure I agree with the need for a torch button, as most Android phones build this into the notification area?

I personally don't care but I can see how a nice button on the app could be useful for some people.

I know plenty of people who have smart phones but still have basically no idea how they work so may not think about the notification/settings area.
  • edited January 15
    OnePlus X (E1003), Android 6.0.1, OxygenOS 3.1.4 (non-standard DPI of 420 IIRC)

Functionally wise, only very minor niggles so far:
    • If you press on an item, move your finger up off the item's hitbox and then back down and let go, the item is still selected. If you press something and then move your finger down so that the page refresh action is triggered, the item selection is cancelled as expected. A minor thing but a little weird.
    • Swiping left and right is something I tried to do but I'm undecided about it and I don't know whether it's just because I read the thread earlier that I tried. Monzo is the same (no left/right swiping for main nav), and I haven't read the material design guidelines so maybe it's not recommended when navigation is on the bottom. On a Monzo page with options at the top (the Payments page for example), swiping moves between the top options. WhatsApp has top navigation and left/right swiping enabled.
    • When pressing the (Android) back button on the meter reading submission page, it goes back to the previous page. When pressing the back button from a page that's not the "Home" page, it closes the app. I'd expect it to only close the app if you're already on the "Home" page (like WhatsApp does for example).
    • When submitting meter readings, it's nice that it stops you entering decimal points, spaces or commas, but it only does this once you've started entering numbers. No idea if it's technically possible to stop it altogether.

On the Galaxy S8+ it also doesn't expand to fit the screen by default
    It doesn't do this on my device either which makes the spacing around the Bulb logo at the top look a little weird and the pink bar overly deep. (For clarification, I'm talking about expanding to colour the notification area the same colour as the app. It remains black on my phone - I have hardware buttons so the app does fill all of the space top to bottom).

I've quite a few other comments about the design, but that's not specific to Android (the IOS app is basically the same from what I can see) so I'll post elsewhere once I've had a chance to play with some screenshots and mock up my suggestions.

As the first (public release beta) version for Android, it's a great start. :+1:

Oh, almost forgot. The magic email link for sign in on mobile is absolutely marvellous.
  • @timr @TonyBrett @matthew744 @alunheseltine @Frank @katherine244 @KCW @NeilP @mowcius
    Thanks so much for the feedback everyone, keep it coming! I'm making a note of the feature suggestions

@matthew744 any readings you submit will be applied to your account, so please go ahead
    @katherine244 @mowcius thanks for raising that expansion issue, we'll do some investigation

• Another oddity, if you click to view your statements from the home page, then click the home button, it doesn't take you back to the home page.
    More oddly, if you navigate to another tab, say the readings page, clicking the home tab still doesn't take you back home, rather it remembers that you were viewing statements and requires you to back out of that page first.
    The same thing occurs from the Payment page.
  • Could the colour of the toolbar be changed to pink too? Currently rather garish?

No ability to change payment amount/top up in app?

Thanks
  • Thing i find abit weird (might just be me) where you have a clickable link i.e. "View more statements", i'd expect it only to go to the statements if i clicked on those words (which are a different colour to the rest) but i've found if you click on "Your last statement was £xxx" words it also treats it as a click and moves you to view the statements.

Same seems to happen on them all, another example is on the Account page under 'Help', the "Go to the help centre" text is in grey with an arrow, but you can click on the text above "Head to our centre if you have any questions" which is in blue-ish colour and it will take you to the help..

It's not an issue as such just abit strange to me. It's abit like having a label next to a text entry box and being able to click on the label to do stuff
  • Trying out the android app on my phone and tablet and love it...
  • Trying out the android app on my phone and tablet and love it...
  • Interestingly, the Gas reading I submitted on 12 Jan (via the app) seems never to have appeared in my account. I can't see it in the app or on the online account on the web.

It would just be quicker than having to go into notifications and finding the button.