Which reading is day and which is night? — Bulb Community

Which reading is day and which is night?

I have a digital meter with 2 rates but they are only shown as rate 1 and rate 2. When I submit it asks for day and night and I don't know which is which? Can you help? Thanks in advance

Comments

• edited April 2018
    Nice one @phproxy thanks for getting here before I could! That's usually the way round they are (though there are a few exceptions). The best way to be certain is to take a look at the meter twice during the day, and see which one has moved.
  • My redaings No.1 has higher numbers then No.2. So is the night readings normally higher then days readings?
  • edited February 28
    My meter has Rate 1 & Rate 4 and Rate 1 refers to day, with Rate 4 referring to night.

@MartaL My night readings in total are higher than the day rate and also monthly in the winter they are 5 times and more higher than day use. In the summer when not using my storage heaters maybe not. I shredded last summers records when I joined Bulb at the end of August (which was already cold enough to have my storage heaters back on) so I cannot say accurately what the difference is/was then.

You're probably best taking Will at Bulb's advice though as to how to ascertain which rate is which.
  • The best way I know off is 'the kettle test'. Take meter readings, go back into the house and boil a kettle (which uses quite a bit of power) and then take meter readings again. The one that has gone up is the 'current rate' so if it's 'peak time' (before say 7pm), then that's your day rate: otherwise you'll have to check what times your Economy 7 hours are to be sure.
  • RichyB said:

The best way I know off is 'the kettle test'. Take meter readings, go back into the house and boil a kettle (which uses quite a bit of power) and then take meter readings again. The one that has gone up is the 'current rate' so if it's 'peak time' (before say 7pm), then that's your day rate: otherwise you'll have to check what times your Economy 7 hours are to be sure.

And you need to make sure the internal clock in the meter is correct as well.

Economy 7 times are usually always after midnight as far as I know. Mine is 0:30 - 7:30 using a 24 hour clock

This might assist https://community.bulb.co.uk/discussion/8025/what-are-my-off-peak-hours-for-economy-7#latest
  • This has just happened to me ..i had a meter change over a year ago and I noticed my bills going up rapidly..I couldn’t work it out but eventually i realised rate 2 which they had been using as my night rate was actually my day rate!! We use alot more electric at night due to water heater and storage heaters.Obviously the engineer who fitted meter input readings and ive just been inputting afterwards not realising ..im now leaving scottish power who are absolutely useless they even told me on phone rate 1 is daytime when it quite blatantly isn’t..god knows what my final bill is going to look like but in my eyes they owe me money as ive been putting all my appliances on at night when ive actually been being charged day rate its so annoying.our monthly bills have been £240 when really i dont think they should of been more than £130 ..i wonder how many other people have been stung like this