Hive — Bulb Community

Hive

I'm thinking off going for hive heating control
Any advice

Comments

• My only advice is that if you have a standard timer thermostat set up correctly, as lovely as the Hive (or Nest or Wave) is, it's unlikely to save you any money.

They're fantastic and I love mine (Nest), but it's a comfort and convenience thing rather than a cost saving exercise.
  • Hive (or Nest, or similar) are definitely more convenient. They also come in varying levels of cleverness which affects how much (if any) they save - for example Nest will learn how your home actually heats and cools so it can turn heat on/off at the best time.

If you want something more comprehensive, I’ve just fitted a Tado thermostat and radiator valves. These let each radiator individually request heat and turn itself on/off based on a schedule. They also do a no quibble return if you don’t think they’re saving you enough. Referral link http://aklam.io/6e5nMD will give you a £20 kickback if you use it.
  • If you want something more comprehensive, I’ve just fitted a Tado thermostat and radiator valves. These let each radiator individually request heat and turn itself on/off based on a schedule.

Let us know how you get on with the radiator valves and how much you end up changing the temperatures on them. They seemed very expensive for what they are when I was looking.

Do you know if there's any way to calibrate them for the room? As the sensor's so close to the radiator, it's always going to read a few degrees warmer than the room actually is.
    I'd be more interested if each one had a remote sensor to enable something more like a multi-zone heating system.
    With a single radiator being always on (but with a thermostat) in a utility/kitchen/drying room and all other radiators fitted with TRVs, I could see this actually working quite well and being substantially cheaper than the installation of a true multi-zone system.
  • I signed up for HIVE when I was still a BG customer. We love our HIVE. At the moment it is just controlling the heating. The thermostat is freestanding so can be moved around the house and I also use my smartphone and tablet to control remotely. Recently we returned from a holiday in NE Scotland and our journey time Home was approximately 7 hours. When we were 2 hours from home I switched the heating on and we arrived back to a warm and toasty home. We are in the process of buying lightbulbs and sockets and window/ door sensors, so when we are away on holiday we can remotely switch on lighting and lamps and hopefully the door/window sensors will alert us if someone attempts to enter the property illlegally. I love being able to switch on the heating from the comfort of my armchair or bed, and not have to struggle upstairs or down the landing to activate the thermostat. Our reasoning for installing HIVE was the convenience of controlling the heating and not necessarily saving money
  • edited March 15
    If you have a mechanical timer on the boiler, hive is very much worth it. If you already have a programmable thermostat it doesn't offer you a lot. However if you live alone it can be useful to remotely turn the heating on if you come home early. Also hive offers expansion like multi zone control, light bulbs, motion cameras, door sensors and you can link things so when you open the front door the light bulb comes on and heating comes on, or when you leave home is sets the heating to be off.

I've been chuffed with my system