Minding the gender pay gap — Bulb Community

Minding the gender pay gap

edited January 2018 in About Bulb
Hi everyone,

Today we published a blog post on the gender pay gap at Bulb. I'm happy to report that at Bulb we don't have one. You can read the full report here.

But while we’re proud to be doing the right thing on this one, we know we have more to do. We're battling a systematic gender bias in both the energy and technology industries when it comes to hiring. And we need more women in our leadership team. We'd love to know what you think. What is your company doing to close the gender pay gap? Or to build a great working environment for women? Please share your thoughts!

Comments

• The information does not appear on the government page, unless I'm meant to be looking at something other than "Bulb"?
  • edited January 2018
    Recently Rachel Reeves, MP and chair of the Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy Committee, raised an important question.
    Rachel Reeves is my local councillor (Leeds West) and I have to say, she seems to be all talk and no action.
  • I disagree with the statement "we need more women in our leadership team" if I take that in its raw form it appears as in many companies that employing more women is seen as a target to be achieved to the detriment of quality. I am all for more women in whatever roles in any company but their employment should be based on their qualifications for the job NOT simply to balance gender ratios.
    From my working experience I would argue that qualifications and experience will improve company performance the gender is irrelevant.
    I do not of course agree with women being held back simply because they are women.
  • edited January 2018
    @scudo, I was going to make a similar comment but thought I'd wait to see others' reactions first.

This is something which has been discussed a few times now and Bulb do seem to have had slightly differing responses at different times/from different people.

Previously the comment seemed to be that the blog post (about diversity) was poorly worded and Bulb were simply encouraging more women and those from minority groups to apply for roles. This latest post definitely does seem to be suggesting that they are instead, simply trying to fill up a quota.

At Bulb, our 4-person leadership team currently lacks any female members. As we expand, we’re looking to put that right, just as we’ve been proactive about hiring female candidates.

Here, are you suggesting that having women in Bulb's leadership team is required purely because they're women? If so, why?
    Surely as has been discussed before, roles should be filled by those who are right for the role.
    I can see how women may have a different viewpoint and therefore be the right candidate, but there may also be plenty of men who have a similar worldview (perhaps a single parent of young children, trans male etc.)
  • I agree with @scudo rather than @Clem at Bulb.
  • @DevlinC The results are at the bottom of the blog post in the format they are reported in on the government service. I hope that makes for easy comparison! We aren't able to submit the figures to the service yet as we have some outstanding figures on bonuses to report. We will report on those after our team bonuses have been calculated and rewarded.
  • mowcius said:
    Yes, my mistake - I thought they were saying the figures were also available at the government portal, but obviously with less than 250 employees they do not need, and maybe cannot, appear on the portal.
  • mowcius said:

Previously the comment seemed to be that the blog post (about diversity) was poorly worded and Bulb were simply encouraging more women and those from minority groups apply for roles. This latest post definitely does seem to be suggesting that they are instead, simply trying to fill up a quota.

Thanks @mowcius. In this case, we didn't go into as much detail as we have before about how we hire a diverse team. To reiterate, we don't have a quota for any kind of candidate at Bulb - everyone goes through the same rigorous hiring process and we only offer roles to the right person for the job, regardless of gender.

But we do make an effort to encourage more women to apply for roles at Bulb. We do this because we have a firm belief that a diverse team is a better team (including diversity beyond gender). And it's necessary too - there is a systematic gender bias in both the energy and technology industries which we need to overcome. For example, only 16% of undergraduates in engineering and technology are female. In other words, we have to work a little harder to find, attract and keep women at Bulb. As we increase our leadership team, we'll be sticking to the same approach and working hard to make sure we have a diverse range of applicants. This is what being proactive about hiring female candidates means for us at Bulb :)
  • >only 16% of undergraduates in engineering and technology are female.

We choose different careers to men. Please stop trying to engineer society to fit with your dogma. Also, your blog post that states women being paid more than men is "just as it should be" is shameful.
  • edited October 2018
    ink said:

>only 16% of undergraduates in engineering and technology are female.

We choose different careers to men. Please stop trying to engineer society to fit with your dogma. Also, your blog post that states women being paid more than men is "just as it should be" is shameful.

@ink, basically I think whoever is/was on PR at this time maybe needed to more carefully consider what was posted.

For the good of society though, we should be trying to encourage a varied group of people in every role, whatever the role.
    When society teaches girls and young women that computers and technical vocations are more suited to males, that's a problem, whether you specifically face that problem or not. We should absolutely be trying to improve society in this matter.
  • According to Bulb's site women are paid 1.8% more than men in terms of mean hourly pay, and women are paid 9.4% more than men in terms of medium hourly pay...

What was that about "no gender pay gap"?
  • @darren8792, there's always going to be some variation in pay between people as whatever the job titles, not everyone has the same skills or experience.

Whether men or women, or short or tall, black or white, a pay difference is just something that needs to be looked at to ensure it's fair and reasonable and isn't being done for discriminatory reasons.

If over time with new employees the pay difference seems to remain the same and be favouring a specific group, that would be the time to question why, but we really don't have enough data right now.

It would however be interesting to know how the figures stack up now that Bulb has a good 200 or so in the workforce (a few more than when this survey was last done).