How can I pay my bill? — Bulb Community

How can I pay my bill?

edited May 2017 in Help & Support
You can pay by automatic debit card payment or by Direct Debit. We think that debit cards are better, though. If you have a problem with your direct debit you won't hear about it for weeks, but with cards, everything gets sorted out at once. Plus, you won't get charged overdraft fees by your bank if you don't have enough money in your account.

Debit cards

If you sign up through the website, you'll have set up your payments with debit card payments. If you'd like to change to debit cards, give us a ring on 0300 30 30 635 and we'll be happy to change it for you.

Direct Debit

If you join us through a switching site you'll be on Direct Debit by default. They tend to only work with Direct Debits. If you'd like to change to Direct Debit, give us a ring on 0300 30 30 635 and we'll be happy to change it for you.

Credit cards

We don't take credit cards, so it's best to use one of our other payment methods.

One-off payments

If you want to top up your account, head to MyBulb. If we have debit card info saved, you'll be able to make a one-off payment. If not, give us a ring on 0300 30 30 635 and we'll be able to do it over the phone.

Comments

• great to see you offer a free number to ring on is there opening times you can post too or is it 24/7
  • You can post on the community 24/7, good point. Bulb staff won't be around non stop, but other members will be.
  • ?is the phone line 24/7
  • Not 247, no. The phone line is open between 9am and 6pm Monday to Friday. We've done something clever with our Help page where is changes based on whether the call centre is open or not.
  • @ pinkcalculator

The 0300 number is not free. It's charged at exactly the same rates as ordinary geographical numbers (starting 01 and 02).
  • I wish you had a sort code and account number to pay via Standing Order!!! Like any other company!
  • Hi @Prodson

We offer direct debit payment to all our members as it keeps things simpler for us, which keeps it as cheap as possible for our members.

Thanks
    James
  • yeah well that's not acceptable! When I opened my account I was able to pay by card online! I'm leaving!
  • and don't talk to me about being cheap, you just raised your tariffs like the other ones and your daily standing charge is just TWICE as expensive as SSE for instance! Just DOUBLE!
  • @Prodson I'm really sorry to hear that doesn't suit you. As I'm sure you know, we don't charge any exit fees so if you'd rather be with another supplier you're free to leave at any time. We'll be sad to lose you but we also recognise that the way we do things might not suit everyone.
  • @prodson you are able to make card payments in your online account or we can set up card payments over the phone.

Our standing charge is higher, but this allows us to offer a lower unit rate. Overall we are one of the cheapest suppliers in the market.

We explained back in February why we needed to increase our prices, if there's anything further we can explain on why that was necessary please email help@bulb.co.uk and we can go through it with you.

Thanks very much
  • explain how I can make card payments online?? Where??
  • I checked my rates online and SSE are £259 more expensive than Bulb for my usage.

sse.JPG 61.4K
  • Prodson said:

and don't talk to me about being cheap, you just raised your tariffs like the other ones and your daily standing charge is just TWICE as expensive as SSE for instance! Just DOUBLE!

Have you actually done a comparison of what you are paying your current supplier versus that of Bulb, factoring in the standard charges and the energy unit cost? I did this before deciding to transfer my energy supply across to Bulb. Even with the higher standard charges I calculated I will save £270 per year compared to my previous supplier.

It isn't a fair comparison to purely say Bulb are charging double the standing charges of SSE you need to take into account the energy unit costs.
  • Prodson said:

I wish you had a sort code and account number to pay via Standing Order!!! Like any other company!

It's obviously an indivual preference whether to pay by standing order or direct debit or some other means. But to be honest all my payments to utilities, council tax, and other organisations is by direct debit (13 separate direct debits at the last count) and have done so for many years with not one instance of an incorrect direct debit being taken. Most if not all the organisations I pay, seem to favour payment by direct debit over standing order.
  • @Prodson , it's best to give us a ring on 0300 30 30 635 to make a one-off payment :)
    @scudo @Allanr , thanks for your comments and yes, it's always best to check on both the unit rates and standing charges as, often, standing charges only make up a small % of the total bill.

Cheers,
    Chris