Techy questions — Bulb Community

Techy questions

Recently a couple of 'off topic' posts were made by @mowcius in 'Help & Support' and 'About Bulb' which I've brought over to 'Everything But Bulb' to continue the discussion.

@198kHz, slightly off-topic but what's your current experience with Plusnet? It's often my go-to recommendation but I've not had experience as a customer for many years (VM customer of a long time now - that sweet cable bandwidth...)

I can see from your other thread that you have various Plusnet pages bookmarked and also speedtest.net, which is never a good sign!

From what I see on the forum at https://community.plus.net/t5/Forum/ct-p/Forum, things have gone downhill in recent years, despite Plusnet's repeated reassurances that improvements are on the way. The new improved billing system has been 'imminent' for several years, and phone waiting times are typically 30 mins plus. The facility to create one's own 'tickets' for non urgent queries has been withdrawn. I could go on...
Having said that, I'm happy to stay. The price is good, and the reliability/speed is as good as my line can sustain, even at peak times. As an ex-BT technician, I'm familiar with phone lines, exchanges, transmission, ADSL & all that, so I'm only likely to need to contact my ISP if there's a copper line fault - and then I'm at the mercy of Openreach as with any other non-Virgin ISP. That's not likely though, as it's an underground feed to the property, and the local distribution cable from the street cab was laid relatively recently in '75, and there's no aluminium in the route.
I would not, therefore, recommend Plusnet to anyone who isn't pretty tech savvy, even though I would get a referral bonus.

The bookmarked pages are for various sub-sections of Plusnet's forum, and speedtest.net is, well - for occasional speed checks!

@198kHz, off-topic but why Opera? Force of habit from a bygone era or a specific modern reason?

I'm running XP (yeah yeah, I know - no lectures please :3 ), and AFAIK no browser in its current version will run on XP; Opera comes closest, and does everything I need. The only thing I miss from Firefox is the 'Undo' function.

Comments

• edited March 5
    198kHz said:

and there's no aluminium in the route.

Ahh yes, the grand cost saving measures.
    My parents have the joys of aluminium cabling en-route and let's just say their SNR is not as good as it should be...
    I would not, therefore, recommend Plusnet to anyone who isn't pretty tech savvy, even though I would get a referral bonus.
    Is there anyone you would now recommend?

I'm running XP (yeah yeah, I know - no lectures please :3 )
    I did wonder based on the button colours on the window but I presumed 7 with a theme.

I'm even more intrigued now though. Why are you still using a 17 year old operating system with diminishing application support and no security updates (and a large number of known vulnerabilities?
    I thought it was bad 6 years ago when I was modifying MSI files to make applications install on some old machines with XP!
    The only thing I miss from Firefox is the 'Undo' function.
    The what now?
  • edited March 6
    Aye, back in the day, engineers in the field said that aluminium was a short-termist false economy, but of course the bean counters knew best. Now of course parts of the local distribution network are plagued by dodgy copper-aluminium joints. Often the fault starts as an HR Cu/Al joint, causing noisy telephony and degraded broadband. They're a sod to find, and undoubtedly contribute to Openreach's flaky reputation. The bean counters can't say we didn't tell 'em!
    If the joints are OK, telephony is not too badly affected - the resistance is not that greatly increased. Being RF, broadband is severely affected. At my previous property, my line initially comprised about 20 per cent aluminium, and wouldn't support even 256k BB. Eventually the number and frequency of faults on lines served by that cable became ridiculous, and BT (pre Openreach) spliced in a length of copper. I could then get the 2Mb/s product. When ADSL Max came along I got nearly 5Mb/s sync.

Recommended ISP? I only have experience of two. The first was Claranet in 2002, but by 2007 they'd become uninterested in the residential market, and the price was excessive. In 2008 I migrated to Plusnet.
    Judging by reviews, forum postings etc, if I was thinking of jumping ship I'd probably look at Zen, and maybe IDnet. AAISP are reportedly the crème de la crème, but you'll need a spare arm and leg!

Why are you still using a 17 year old operating system with diminishing application support and no security updates (and a large number of known vulnerabilities?

I'd like to replace it when funds allow (economical energy from Bulb will help :) ), but for the moment I don't really need any additional application support. I'm aware of course of the alleged risks, but I believe many, if not most, are somewhat exaggerated. I didn't replace Win98 with XP until 2006, and have had no mishaps. I think I have the nous to survive a little longer.
    If a hacker was determined to specifically target me, nothing short of a big cash outlay and lots of expertise on my part would stop them, but I don't think I'm that interesting.

The what now?

Sorry if I'm being dense (it's getting late) but I'm not sure what you're asking there.

Re Plusnet, a well respected member of the forum has most eloquently described his reasons for leaving -
    https://community.plus.net/t5/Plusnet-Feedback/Why-I-have-left-Plusnet/m-p/1389353#M74608
  • 198kHz said:

I'd like to replace it when funds allow (economical energy from Bulb will help :) ), but for the moment I don't really need any additional application support. I'm aware of course of the alleged risks, but I believe many, if not most, are somewhat exaggerated. I didn't replace Win98 with XP until 2006, and have had no mishaps. I think I have the nous to survive a little longer.
    If a hacker was determined to specifically target me, nothing short of a big cash outlay and lots of expertise on my part would stop them, but I don't think I'm that interesting.

I'd be more worried about just getting something untargeted from dodgy javascript (or do you run noscript or similar?)

Sorry if I'm being dense (it's getting late) but I'm not sure what you're asking there.

You mentioned a Firefox undo function. It's been my primary browser for a number of years but I don't know what you mean.

Re Plusnet, a well respected member of the forum has most eloquently described his reasons for leaving -
    https://community.plus.net/t5/Plusnet-Feedback/Why-I-have-left-Plusnet/m-p/1389353#M74608

I'll give that a read, thanks.
  • edited March 12
    mowcius said:

I'd be more worried about just getting something untargeted from dodgy javascript (or do you run noscript or similar?)

Ghostery.

You mentioned a Firefox undo function. It's been my primary browser for a number of years but I don't know what you mean.

Menu bar 'Edit' first dropdown choice.
  • 198kHz said:

Ghostery.

Ahh, definitely better than nothing

Menu bar 'Edit' first dropdown choice.

Oh, is that not now a standard feature of all browsers to be able to undo things typed into textboxes and similar?

I didn't replace Win98 with XP until 2006

Just coming back to this, I'm not entirely sure that 8 years, compared to 17 years is quite the same thing!
    Microsoft did also maintain support for Win98 until 2006... You're 4 years into lack of support with XP!
  • mowcius said:

Oh, is that not now a standard feature of all browsers to be able to undo things typed into textboxes and similar?

Probably AFAIK, but not in Opera.
    mowcius said:

You're 4 years into lack of support with XP!

I rest my case, m'lud. ;)