Smart meter roll out 2018! — Bulb Community

Smart meter roll out 2018!

Can you tell me when bulb is planning on rolling smart meters out please.

Comments

• @Alijrobertson, from June for the trial and a few months later for the general rollout.
  • How do I get a smart meter?
  • @gillianbravo, Bulb will contact everyone when they're available.
  • Hi, @alijrobertson and @gillianbravo we're expecting around summer this year! If you'd like I can add you to the trial list, so you could get early access?
  • I have zero interest in a smart meter - I'm struggling to understand the whole smart meter bandwagon. The Gaz and Leccy characters making out everyone should have a shiny new meter, yet the whole smart meter rollout has been dogged with issues! V1 smart meters will all need replaced as there was no industry standard at that time so they were all different, who pays the millions to replace V1's?, some areas still have no signal for the meter to communicate, but the biggest thing, the one that everyone should worry about is time of day tariffs. Remember years ago BT had a (long since scrapped) peak rate for phone calls at the time they knew everyone would be wanting to use the phone! well guess what is coming to us all for our gas and electric. Smart Meters make this a reality so at traditionally busy times - morning and evenings, household getting up, household coming home, mealtimes etc. Guess when your energy will cost more and we'll all suffer financially for it. The best bit is that energy will be cheaper overnight, mostly electricity. So the big selling point is they'll claim huge savings by running your washing machines, dishwashers, etc overnight while you are asleep in bed. After the carry on with Hotpoint dryers bursting into flames at the drop of a hat and the absolute criminal fiasco which meant the UK Government still have not forced Whirlpool to mandatory recall all these machines and replace them, would you want to be running all your appliances unattended overnight because you are forced to by the energy networks manipulation of tariffs for nothing other than profit! So, when you are dazzled by the spin about a shiny new meter, just have a think about what will really happen when we all have one.
  • macladd said:

V1 smart meters will all need replaced as there was no industry standard at that time so they were all different, who pays the millions to replace V1's?

They will not. There's work taking place to integrate all of these into the same system it's just taking a while.
    some areas still have no signal for the meter to communicate
    This is an issue but they can be fitted with high gain antennas to give them a better chance at being able to find a mobile network. Those in very remote areas can be connected together in a mesh to reduce this issue.

but the biggest thing, the one that everyone should worry about is time of day tariffs. Remember years ago BT had a (long since scrapped) peak rate for phone calls at the time they knew everyone would be wanting to use the phone! well guess what is coming to us all for our gas and electric. Smart Meters make this a reality so at traditionally busy times - morning and evenings, household getting up, household coming home, mealtimes etc. Guess when your energy will cost more and we'll all suffer financially for it.Nobody has said that this would become a mandatory thing - constantly variable tariffs have only been discussed as a possibility. Nobody's been forced onto Economy 7 (or 10 or similar) but that came in with the same discussions and it's been around for a long time now. Why shouldn't people be encouraged to use less power when it's more expensive to produce though? At the moment we waste a lot of power and gas using up and generating power to smooth out demand. It's just a simple case of supply and demand. If everyone wants to buy graphics cards (darn cryptocurrency miners) then the price goes up. If everyone wants to use energy at the same time and we haven't got as much, the price goes up.

At the moment this is how the wholesale market works; your energy supplier just charges you more than they pay at times of low demand, and less during peak times, and it all evens out.
    Time of use tariffs would also likely have periods of time where you could be paid to use energy, or be paid to have your electric car pump a bit of its battery power back into the grid.
    The best bit is that energy will be cheaper overnight, mostly electricity. So the big selling point is they'll claim huge savings by running your washing machines, dishwashers, etc overnight while you are asleep in bed. After the carry on with Hotpoint dryers bursting into flames at the drop of a hat and the absolute criminal fiasco which meant the UK Government still have not forced Whirlpool to mandatory recall all these machines and replace them, would you want to be running all your appliances unattended overnight because you are forced to by the energy networks manipulation of tariffs for nothing other than profit!
    It's true that there have been issues with some white goods bursting setting fire to themselves, but if you read any safety guidelines, it's recommended that you don't leave phones plugged in charging overnight either... Note 7s weren't the only phones to have ever burst into flames.
    The UK wiring regs do a pretty good job of lowering risk here but not everyone's house is wired to modern regs. I don't think there's a house over 20 years old that I've worked on that hasn't had some electrical issue.

This also isn't much different to most people leaving white goods on when they're at work or timing them to run before they wake up, as most people with standard tariffs will do anyway.
    I'd rather that my smoke alarms go off when I'm there so I can flip the breaker and grab the fire extinguisher, than when I'm at work and my house is just going to burn down.
    So, when you are dazzled by the spin about a shiny new meter, just have a think about what will really happen when we all have one.
    Easier tariff switches, easier supplier switches, more data to use to make decisions about usage, and the DCC will know when my heating's on...

• I had a Smart meter installed by Scottish Gas just before I switched to bulb. Presumably this will be compatible and can be used for my bulb readings once their roll out is completed? If this isn't the case I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. I find submitting regular meter readings makes me more aware of my usage and find it easier to compare month to month and year on year cosumption rather than a gimmicky led display.
  • Presumably this will be compatible and can be used for my bulb readings once their roll out is completed?

Correct, but the rollout of 2nd gen smart meters is likely to occur before the DCC gets everything sorted for the 1st gen meter integration so it might be next year before your meter becomes smart again if you don't get a 2nd gen one from Bulb (for whatever reason).

• Good Evening All,

I must admit that there are mixed messages about electrical devices running in a household without anybody being at home. I'm not sure why this seems to be aimed at the likes of washing machines etc. as fridges/ freezers run 24/7. We try to run the dishwasher/ washing machine and tumble drier on Economy 7 because it is cheaper.

We are in the house when this happens. We have 6 interlinked detectors (5 smoke, 1 rate of rise of heat).

I have no idea what the statistics are for 'white goods' causing fires but I'm aware there is evidence that devices at the cheaper end of the market present a greater risk.

I don't know what the result of the enquiry into Grenfell will be but whilst construction standards for building will obviously be addressed it would be nice to think that construction standards for white goods would also be addressed.

When the Renault Zoe arrives (predicted April 30th) that will be another device using power when we're in bed.

We have to find a way of evening out the utilisation of electricity. A combination of Smart meters and various forms of storage are the only economically viable way ahead.

Regards

Richard
  • linesrg said:

I must admit that there are mixed messages about electrical devices running in a household without anybody being at home. I'm not sure why this seems to be aimed at the likes of washing machines etc. as fridges/ freezers run 24/7. We try to run the dishwasher/ washing machine and tumble drier on Economy 7 because it is cheaper.

The comments are normally being directed towards washing machines and dishwashers is due to the large power draw when the heating elements kick in. Fridges and freezers don't tend to use anything like the 3kW or so that a modern dishwasher will suck from the wall.
    The issue is exacerbated somewhat by devices being connected with plugs rather than being hardwired. From a convenience standpoint (and warranty; some manufacturers can get quite upset if you try and send a device back with the plug chopped off), moulded plugs make sense, but from a safety and reliability standpoint hardwired wins every time.
    I have no idea what the statistics are for 'white goods' causing fires but I'm aware there is evidence that devices at the cheaper end of the market present a greater risk.
    I've seen no figures either way but I'd suspect the same.
    True, everything should in theory be manufactured according to British Standards and be safe to use, but I'd always rather buy the slightly better product and give myself a bit more leway before things become unsafe.
  • My Smart meter has 'Property of SSE' printed on it and I have changed provider twice since it was installed. I never got a meter for the gas because it is a 'flat' meter, not upright and they don't (didn't) make compatible smart meters for this type.

Roll on the second generation meters that can link to successive suppliers.....

My last provider (First Utility) had an Android app so I could enter my meter readings via my smart phone. Any plans....??
  • @Rob1 we actually already have an Android app! If you search Bulb or Bulb energy in the play store you will find it :)
  • Thanks Henry - found it...!
  • Hi,

I know this is a couple of months old, but is there still any way of being added to the trial rollout for smart meters? Would really love to get on board :)
  • Hi @rick159
    I've added you on now.

Cheers,
    Rob
  • Just switched from Eon (after their price rise) to Bulb, now just waiting for my Eon SmartMeter to go 'dumb' and get back to crouching behind the bins in the rain once a month to read the meter :joy:
    Any chance I could be added to the early adopters / testers of the SMETS2 from Bulb, please? Thanks :mrgreen:
  • When are you going to have the smart meters? With my last provider for some reason I could not have one.
  • I’d like to be on the list of early adopters please!
  • I’d like to be on the list of early adopters please!
  • Hello. Could you please register my account for a new SMETS2 meter for gas and electricity? Many thanks.
  • May I be on the list as well please?
  • I was told my Smart meter was a 2nd generation unit but it isn't. Yes - They lied.
    Are you flashing the firmware on these over the air to upgrade them?
    Will it still give accurate meter readings form the meters?
  • Hey @Huce , @Ian10 , @Penumbra , @MajikMum , @Stormin you can add yourselves to the list here:
    https://docs.google.com/forms/d/10kQ9xBGxZPDNPs5EWkk-8oEDNDvCj-VMWVfTNUzW5b0/

@Bob_from_hull That depends exactly on which kind of 1st generation meter you have. Some of these can be upgraded remotely, some can't. When we roll out we'll be able to tell from how your meter is registered, and let you know.
  • Thanks Euan.
    When I give you manual readings how will you know the conversion factor for the gas meter.
    My original one worked out at 32kwh per unit, The (not so) Smart meter runs at 11.25kwh per meter unit.
  • @Bob_from_hull

The conversion factor is something that is calculated daily as there are various factors that influence the calorific content of the gas, which affects how many kWhs each unit (m3) contains.
  • Has this roll out started yet?
  • Hi Nevab, we are still waiting on the technology to be fully tested. We will let you know when this has happened and we are ready to roll out.
  • Thanks Euan.
    When I give you manual readings how will you know the conversion factor for the gas meter.
    My original one worked out at 32kwh per unit, The (not so) Smart meter runs at 11.25kwh per meter unit.

This sounds like the old meter may have been an imperial meter in cubic feet for the units, and the new meter is metric measuring cubic metres, hence the difference.
  • I'd love to be on the list to get a smart meter when you start rolling them out! Thanks! :)
  • Hi, I'd be very interested in a smart meter. I originally volunteered to be in the trial about a year ago, but didn't hear any more. We've got Solar PV and an electric car. Thanks!