Help us build Bulb Prepay — Bulb Community

Help us build Bulb Prepay

edited July 2018 in About Bulb
Exciting news! Anyone with a prepayment meter can join Bulb. We’re looking for members to help improve the Prepay experience during our Beta.

We’d love you to become a tester.

Get started

Questions? We hope we've answered the biggies below. Just comment if we haven't and we'll let you know.

What is the Bulb Prepay Beta?
The Bulb Prepay Beta is the early version of our Prepay product where we gather feedback from our members to help us improve it. At the moment, we can only sign up dumb prepayment meters as we're unable to communicate with 1st Generation smart prepay meters.

Who can join the Bulb Prepay Beta?
It’s open to everyone. You just need a prepayment meter of course.

How long will the Beta go on for?
There’s no set end date for the Beta. We’ll keep going until we’ve polished out any bugs and kinks.

Why are you running a Beta for Bulb Prepay?
Prepayment meters are complex. There’s more to it than meter readings and bills. Members need an electricity key or gas card for the meter. And somewhere to top up for their energy use. Through the Beta, we’ll work out how to be a great prepay provider.

What is expected of Beta testers?
We’ll ask you to fill in a survey once a month, flag any bugs you find to us and share feedback and ideas.

Thanks folks,
Clem at Bulb

Comments

• Hi,

Can you post a guide to signing up to Bulb Prepay using a referral link please.

Thanks

- PJ
  • Hi,

How will the electricity key top-up work?
  • our current supplier has a day and night tariff for our top up meter so its cheaper to heat our flat & water at night. Does Bulb?
  • Signed up but shame theres no option to do this via a referral link I had so -£50 down ! :(
  • Hi Clem
    Thanks for the invitation, I am really happy to be a Bulb customer at last, and having the opportunity to help you develop your prepay product. Thanks
  • Regarding referrals, I imagine that as usual if you contact them with the details of the person who referred you, they will be able to add the credit on.
  • edited May 2018
    @pjg @Aarondodds If you want to come through a referral link , just let us know what the link is after signup and we'll be able to send £50 credit your way, just send us an email to help@bulb.co.uk just use quote.bulb.co.uk/refer/CODE and replace CODE with the referral link you want to use.

@marcus_m we will send you a Bulb key for you to use, until you receive it you can continue to use the one you have and then simply start using the Bulb one

@danbaker The meter itself will remain 2-rate, you'll just use our key to top it up and be billed on our tariff

@Lennyweb Great to have you with us! Let us know if anything goes wrong, we want all the feedback we can get
  • @pjg @Aarondodds Actually! Scratch out the last instructions, we've made this even easier. Just use quote.bulb.co.uk/refer/CODE and replace CODE with the referral link you want to use.
  • @SJ at Bulb so bulb will also provide a night tariff? What is that tariff? (It wasn't mentioned when I went through the quote workflow, that I could see...)
  • @danbaker As you progress through the switch website, there'll be a link that will say "Click here to refine your quote", you'll be able to specify whether you have a 2-rate meter and any usage details. Afterwards, it'll update your quote to be 2-rate and the tariff details will show day and night rates.
  • edited May 2018

@pjg @Aarondodds Actually! Scratch out the last instructions, we've made this even easier. Just use quote.bulb.co.uk/refer/CODE and replace CODE with the referral link you want to use.

Does that then detect that you have a prepay meter and wish to join the prepay beta?

At present I was under the impression you had to go via http://quote.bulb.co.uk/join/prepay which has no such referral capabilities.
  • mowcius said:

@pjg @Aarondodds Actually! Scratch out the last instructions, we've made this even easier. Just use quote.bulb.co.uk/refer/CODE and replace CODE with the referral link you want to use.

Does that then detect that you have a prepay meter and wish to join the prepay beta?

At present I was under the impression you had to go via http://quote.bulb.co.uk/join/prepay which has no such referral capabilities.
    It now asks you how you pay on the standard quote page

• phproxy said:

It now asks you how you pay on the standard quote page

Ahh, cool!
  • @mowcius yep we now have it set up so that if you follow that version of the referral link, e.g. quote.bulb.co.uk/refer/name123, it'll give you an option to sign up for the prepay beta, it's all new and exciting and should be up and running by now
  • edited May 2018
    Hey - I've signed up for the trial. Two questions:

- Will the referral credit just appear on my meter when I put in the key that you will send me?
    ^ email just confirmed it will be TransferWise
    - The quoted rate during sign up and the rate it says that I'm on when I log in is different:

From the pre-signup quote:

From the information after sign up:
  • edited May 2018
    danbaker said:

- The quoted rate during sign up and the rate it says that I'm on when I log in is different:

It looks like the quote is for single rate, and your actual rate is for a two rate (Economy 7) meter.
  • edited May 2018
    First bit of feedback on the beta then would be to clearly include all available rates on the same screen in the pre-sign up quote ;)
  • Hi, I'm so happy to hear you are starting a Prepayment scheme. I have a prepayment electricity meter and a credit gas meter.
    I just booked an appointment with my current supplier to change to a smart meter in 2 - 3 weeks. I have two questions:

1) Will I be able to join Bulb with a smart prepayment electricity meter?
    2) If so, would I have to wait until after the smart meters are installed before I can switch to you?

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks!
  • @danbaker Thanks for the feedback, I will pass this on :)

@Sojsz

1- Yes, you can switch with smart prepay, but it will switch from prepayment mode to credit mode. We cannot currently support the prepayment mode.

2- We recommend with any meter change that you apply to switch to us once the meters have been changed and when your current supplier has updated the shared industry database. Issues can arise if we switch and get sent the details for the old meter.
  • Hi there, @Sojsz, looking forward to having you with us.
    1) You can join us with smart meters, but the generation 1 smart meters only send reads to the supplier that installed them, so it would almost immediately cease to function as a smart meter when you joined us. You would have to manually take reads and send them to us.
    2) I think it might be a better idea to join us with your current meters, and then we will upgrade your meters to Generation 2 smart meters once you are a Bulb member. These meters are better as they will continue to send data to any supplier you change to after us.
    3) If you are interested in being part of the prepay trial, scroll up to the top of this thread and click 'get started' :)

Hey @danbaker, Thanks very much for that feedback- you're right, at the sign-up stage, it doesn't show the E7 prepay rates. I've noted this and passed it on. :)
  • How's the prepay trial going?

Do you have a timescale for a full availability rollout?
  • @mowcius Feels like I'm talking to you a lot on this fine Bank Holiday Monday =).

We're getting a good amount of base members during the beta phase of the Prepay. We're continuing to learn a lot during this period and we're already consolidating processes that will help us ramp up for a larger rollout.

We don't have concrete dates at the moment but we're hoping closer to the end of the year or early next year. We're investigating the possibility of combining our full rollout with smart prepay instead of legacy prepay.
  • Is everyone who switches to Bulb Prepay obligated to become a tester and complete the monthly feedback while it's in Beta phase, or is it optional?

• You can join us with smart meters, but the generation 1 smart meters only send reads to the supplier that installed them, so it would almost immediately cease to function as a smart meter when you joined us. You would have to manually take reads and send them to us.

Presumably a Prepay customer doesn't have to send in meter readings?
  • @norman7115 We'd love all our prepay members feedback, if you don't fancy filling them out, no worries. Prepay customers can send us manual meter readings but they dont need to, these are sent to us automatically with each top up.
  • Yes, you can switch with smart prepay, but it will switch from prepayment mode to credit mode. We cannot currently support the prepayment mode.

Just to confirm my understanding - if you have a bog-standard "dumb" prepayment meter then switching to Bulb Prepay is no problem, but if you have a smart prepayment meter then you can currently only become a Bulb credit meter customer (direct debit/recurring debit card payments, submit manual readings etc......)

Is that correct?
  • Hi @norman7115 - that's correct at the moment - we wouldn't be able to communicate with your Smart Meter's software if it stayed in prepay so we wouldn't be able to know if you'd topped up.
  • So do both the referrer and the new Bulb Prepay customer get their referral bonuses via TransferWise? Do you need to have a TransferWise account? Are there transaction fees? How does it work?

Is the referrer notified of the referral (and switch completion) by email in the usual manner and is the fact that it's a prepayment customer mentioned in the email?

I asked the above a couple of times on another thread but no replies. Anyone?
  • Hi @norman7115 - if the new recruit only has prepayment meters it will be done on transferwise, but if one is credit we'll add it to that meter's account. If your meters are credit meters your referral credit will be applied in the usual way, it doesn't matter what type of meters the person you refer has.

You don't need a Transferwise account beforehand, and you won't be charged any fees - you just have to fill in some details and we send the money straight over.

You'll be notified in the same way you are for credit meters.

Let me know if I've missed anything in our initial question - Sorry this got missed.
  • Let me know if I've missed anything in our initial question - Sorry this got missed.

Thanks @Bill at Bulb. That's answered my questions above. One last question comes to mind - does the new prepayment customer (the person being referred) get a separate email at sign-up confirming the referral?
  • Hey @norman7115 - they should get all the same communications as a credit member switching - with the exception of the transferwise e-mail, which is specific to prepay members.
  • Exciting news! Anyone with a prepayment meter can join Bulb. We’re looking for members to help improve the Prepay experience during our Beta.

We’d love you to become a tester.

Get started

Questions? We hope we've answered the biggies below. Just comment if we haven't and we'll let you know.

What is the Bulb Prepay Beta?
    The Bulb Prepay Beta is the early version of our Prepay product where we gather feedback from our members to help us improve it. At the moment, we can only sign up dumb prepayment meters as we're unable to communicate with 1st Generation smart prepay meters.

Who can join the Bulb Prepay Beta?
    It’s open to everyone. You just need a prepayment meter of course.

How long will the Beta go on for?
    There’s no set end date for the Beta. We’ll keep going until we’ve polished out any bugs and kinks.

Why are you running a Beta for Bulb Prepay?
    Prepayment meters are complex. There’s more to it than meter readings and bills. Members need an electricity key or gas card for the meter. And somewhere to top up for their energy use. Through the Beta, we’ll work out how to be a great prepay provider.

What is expected of Beta testers?
    We’ll ask you to fill in a survey once a month, flag any bugs you find to us and share feedback and ideas.

Thanks folks,
    Clem at Bulb

Hi Bulb Community,

I am delighted to be a member of the Bulb community and, hopefully, I can make a worthwhile contribution towards the refinement of your Prepay Beta.

Questions:

1) Given that prepay is at the testing stage and not a full rollout, is it ok to refer friends with legacy prepay meters, as you would credit customers? If ok, the idea is to use bulb.co.uk/refer/mycode for credit customers and quote.bulb.co.uk/refer/mycode for legacy prepay customers. Will these two referral links cover all the customers that you are supporting without having to make changes to the meter?

2) In the letter that you sent with the gas card, you said to put your card in the prepaid envelope for recycling. Is this the gas card of my previous supplier that can be recycled? I asked this question in a help email and am just confirming.
    Can the electricity key be recycled? The letter that came with the key did not state that it can be recycled and there was not prepaid envelope. If the key can be recycled I will send both card and key in same envelope.

• edited October 2018
    Hi Bulb Community,

Information on Energy Transfer

Everything went smoothly during the transfer from my previous supplier to Bulb energy. The official date for the start of Bulb supply to my home was 14 Sep 2018. The advice given by yourselves was to make sure to use up all the credit of previous supplier before plugging in your new key or card.

Electricity Key

On the morning of 14 Sep when plugging in the key for the first time the meter was £0.06p down in emergency credit and the Standard Charge was not taken. Standard charge is not applied while in Emergency credit. After topping up and plugging in, the 6p deduction remained and sometime later the daily standard charge was taken. If you are 3 days in the emergency and than top up and plug in your key, the 3 x charge is deducted plus the units you have used. I rarely use the emergency feature and an engineer from my previous supplier said that you can damage performance of the meter if in emergency too much.

Gas Card

On the morning of 14 Sep when plugging in the card for the first time the meter was £0.11p up in credit and the standard charge had already been taken. After topping up and plugging in, the 11p remained and was added to the total credit on card.

Energy Price Comparison

I have noticed a significant lower price difference for gas between your energy and my previous Big Six supplier. This large difference is partly due to the £30 Dual Fuel Discount being applied through the standard charge. This discount is being removed on 11 November. With the electricity I have noticed a slightly lower difference in price. Overall, on and after 11 November, will Green Energy still be cheaper than the Big Six, given that they give dual fuel discount?
  • Hi @rgpringle thanks so much for all of this brilliant information, I have passed it on to the prepay team, it is deeply helpful in creating a prepay offering we can all be proud of!
  • Dual Fuel Discount to Remain

In update to my previous post, I have been informed by the Bulb Team that the £30 Dual Fuel Discount will only be removed on 11 Nov by design. They are looking for alternative ways to pay the discount, because the current method has been causing problems. I have made suggestions, that hopefully, has been helpful. Given this discount is to remain, than Green Energy should still be cheaper than the Big Six Suppliers. You also have the referrals to make further savings.