I have a British Gas smart meter can you tell me when it will be used by Bulb to take readings. — Bulb Community

I have a British Gas smart meter can you tell me when it will be used by Bulb to take readings.

I find it difficult to read the electricity meter, I have instructions for the gas meter but not the electricity meter. Can you help.

Comments

• Hello guys! I am not quite sure about what is your question but for my understanding there is some steps you have to take to read your electricity consumption.

How to take readings
    Both gas and electricity smart meters have a numerical keypad. Here’s what to do if you want to take a traditional meter reading:

Smart electricity meters on a standard tariff
    Press 9 on the keypad.
    Your smart meter screen will show a series of letters: IMP KWH.
    You’ll see 8 digits (e.g. 0001234.5) followed by kWh at the bottom right of the screen.
    This figure is your latest reading – if you’re giving a reading to your energy provider, they only need the first 7 digits.

For smart meter:
    Your smart meter shows separate readings for your off-peak and daytime use.

Press 6 on the keypad.
    Your screen may show variable followed by act rate.
    During the night/off-peak hours you’ll then see IMP R01 followed by 8 digits. This is your night/off-peak reading – your energy provider only needs the first 7 digits.
    During the day/peak hours you’ll see IMP R02 followed by 8 digits. This is your day/peak reading – your energy provider only needs the first 7 digits.
  • Thanks so much @guga_124 for the post! It's really awesome to see other members helping each other out.

@mlilley - if you still have problems following the instructions guga_124 kindly posted above, simply email us with a picture to help@bulb.co.uk. We will be more than happy to assist you :)
  • Here to help! :) ;)
  • My smart meter does not have remote controls when British gas used it there was a working console when I changed supplier the console stopped working, during the next supplier readings were straight forward, now with Bulb the electricity meter seems to have different readings.
    No I am teetotal.
  • Hi @mlilley

British Gas smart meters are slightly different and don't have the number pad. On the meter it self there will be buttons.

On the electricity meter press the green A button to cycle through the screens until you see a screen with a number followed by "KWH". That's your electricity reading.

Gas is the same, but it has a red button instead. Press that to cycle through screens until you see "Meter index" and a number. That number is your reading.

All the best,
    Will