Swansea lagoon — Bulb Community

Swansea lagoon

I understand that the govt are about to take a decision on the Swansea tidal lagoon. Although this offers very poor value I think we need to get tidal power up and running. After all solar and wind were initially poor value for money. Hopefully subsequent projects will improve.

Comments

• @chris_wilson92 god I hope they approve it this time around, though the rumours I've heard aren't hugely positive. Tidal power is a massive resource for Britain, even more so than most of the world (the Severn has the worlds second largest tidal range, and we aren't taking advantage of it! Baffling) and nothing is cost effective the first time it's rolled out, as you pointed out for solar and wind. The swansea lagoon is only meant to be a test run, from what I understand, and the follow up projects would be much larger and more efficient for the experience gained in Swansea. Fingers crossed!
  • I'm in two minds about this, given the huge cost. I know renewable energy costs often follow an "experience curve" and tidal is a very untapped resource, but the amount of money the project would have required was huge and tidal technology is nowhere near as advanced as wind or solar. Obviously there's a reason for that, people were willing to spend the money at a small scale to prove it works and now we are reaping the benefits. You can't just expect the technology to get better if no-one bothers to research how to make it work well!

The Welsh Government offered up £200m to try to save the project when it was looking like it was on the ropes, so hopefully smaller scale hydro projects will start to materialise in the South Wales Valleys with this money now the tidal lagoon project doesn't look like it's going anywhere.

We have a lot of river weirs on the River Taff originally designed for feeding water to Cardiff Docks and the Glamorganshire Canal, but to date only one of these weirs has a hydro scheme at the moment (at Radyr in North Cardiff). I'm also surprised the Cardiff Bay Barrage doesn't have a hydro scheme of sorts, because it's already there, so there's less environmental arguments to make against it.