Smart Meter Roll Out — Bulb Community

Smart Meter Roll Out

While I appreciate that Bulb will be rolling out smart meters by December this year(extrapolated from their latest statement), I feel there may be another set back and the date will change again. I am most certain there will be another delay. So far the general excuse being circulated is that smart meters cannot be installed because the software required to allow remote connection and communication with the suppliers data box is not ready. Personally I find this as rather absurd, unacceptable and completely disgraceful. Smart meters are doing only basic read/capture, store and send. What kind of set up do these suppliers need to allow a tiny device to send a simple duplicate text message to two parties securely? Certainly this can be easily done by 9year olds!!!.
I am getting reallly frustrated about this smart meter roll out and personally i know for certain that Energy suppliers will capitalize on these smart meters. So why doesn't bulb install them now and activate them when the software is ready?

Comments

• @Q2_K80

Installing smart meters for all our members is going to be a massive undertaking and we need to make sure it is going to be done correctly.

We have started testing installations this week and we are making sure our software and systems can cope. We want to be able to offer the best smart experience in the industry and we need to be sure everything is ready before we start installing.
  • @Q2_K80

Installing smart meters for all our members is going to be a massive undertaking and we need to make sure it is going to be done correctly.

We have started testing installations this week and we are making sure our software and systems can cope. We want to be able to offer the best smart experience in the industry and we need to be sure everything is ready before we start installing.

Appreciate that trials are in place and roll out will be a massive task, not to mention the intention to ensure everything works correctly. I've recently moved and the current Energy meter is a nightmare to interact with. The previous suppliers claim that the property is using a very old meter reader and are offering to change this. Having switched to Bulb, will you be offering this change ?
  • @Q2_K80

If your meter is old then we would be able to change this for free, to check this would you be able to send a photo of the meter to help@bulb.co.uk and we can take a look.
  • I shall try this. However what gaurantee do I get that I will be contacted by your team about this old meter?

@Q2_K80

If your meter is old then we would be able to change this for free, to check this would you be able to send a photo of the meter to help@bulb.co.uk and we can take a look.

• edited December 2018
    Q2_K80 said:

I shall try this. However what guarantee do I get that I will be contacted by your team about this old meter?

:o :'(
  • Q2_K80 said:

I shall try this. However what gaurantee do I get that I will be contacted by your team about this old meter?

Is this a joke where grandpa wakes up in front of the TV and then continues a conversation from 6 months ago as if nothing ever happened? I know it's Christmas, but even for the season that's a bit of a cliché.

I'd say the chances of the team contacting you about your old meter that you're desperate to replace are about the same as you returning to this thread within six months ...
  • edited February 6
    Q2_K80 said:

I shall try this. However what gaurantee do I get that I will be contacted by your team about this old meter?

@Q2_K80

So I tried sending an image last 2 month to the said email and still have had no response. I appreciate my response was late. At this rate, I'm no longer interested, I just want my smart meter installed. So when am I getting mine?
  • edited February 6
    @Q2_K80, you're going to get nowhere if you only respond every few months.

Even if you think you sent one before, send a new email to help@bulb.co.uk with a photo of your meter and an explanation of the issues you're facing with it. If you don't hear back within a week, post again on here and I'm sure someone from Bulb will go look for it to try and work out where your email has gone.

Regarding a smart meter, if you've not expressed early interest via the form that was circulated on these forums last year, you'll be offered one likely near the end of the year or some time next year.

Those who expressed early interest have started receiving emails about arranging installation with a handful of installs having taken place already as trials (mine included).
    With so many customers to give Smart Meters to, keen and active early adopters will get them first, followed by everyone else primarily based on engineer availability and DCC network signal strength in your area.
  • Hooloovoo said:

Is this a joke where grandpa wakes up in front of the TV and then continues a conversation from 6 months ago as if nothing ever happened? I know it's Christmas, but even for the season that's a bit of a cliché.

I'm sorry, I must have dozed off for a moment, what were we talking about?
  • Q2_K80 said:

Q2_K80 said:

@Q2_K80

So I tried sending an image last 2 month to the said email and still have had no response. I appreciate my response was late. At this rate, I'm no longer interested, I just want my smart meter installed. So when am I getting mine?
    Hope you don’t mind me jumping in - I’m a customer of bulb but an employee of another energy company.

They’ll get to you when they’re rolling out on your postcode - if you’re in the middle of nowhere, it’s going to be longer than suburbia. At my place, nobody knows what the rollout map looks like at the moment as this seems to be in the hands of the MOP (Meter Operator - comes out and does the physical install). Majority of companies use third parties as MOP so we’re all waiting on their engineer availability at present. Believe me, we want them in and working properly as much as you do.