Vegan electricity — Bulb Community

Vegan electricity

I see that Ecotricity is now advertising their electricity as vegan. As a Vegan myself, I approve of this very much. The use of animal products - chicken litter, pig slurry etc - for biogas is not very green! Will Bulb commit to working with its suppliers to phase them out?

Comments

• Hi @JohnW_2018 - thanks for getting in touch. We've spoken on this before because we appreciate it's a really important issue for lots of people on our community. We've written a blog about it in the past, you can read about it here: https://bulb.co.uk/blog/green-gas-vegetarian-biomethane- you can also see what others have been discussing about it here: community.bulb.co.uk/discussion/169/bulb-gas-a-by-product-of-the-meat-industry/p1 - It's a really interesting topic, and one that is hard to get everyone to agree on.
  • Hi John and Bill, Well, that was not really an answer to the question asked, which was if you are phasing the non-vegan sources out. Could you please just answer that question? I am as concerned as JohnW_2018. I think it would be easy to get everyone to agree that production of energy should not come from animal corpses. If you are using animals, it further justifies a damaging and unsustainable animal agriculture practice.
    I have to say that when I signed up to Bulb, I really liked the Green energy concept. Never did I think that Green could mean dead animals.
  • @Susanne

We are not looking to change the way we buy energy at the moment. Although a small portion of our gas comes from animal by-products, in other words, pig poo, it is not something that increase demand for the meat industry.

Ordinarily, methane from the piggeries would go directly into the atmosphere. Methane is about 30 times worse as a greenhouse gas than CO2. It warms the planet until ultimately decaying into CO2. So, in addition to being carbon neutral, burning biomethane actually reduces the net effect of carbon in the pig waste. So we think this is a really good thing for us to do.

We've got a handy map on our website which shows you where your energy comes from https://bulb.co.uk/generators/
  • I'm just not sure how bad it really is to use a unavoidable and otherwise harmful by-product of the animal agriculture industry and convert it into useful energy. It's not like they are farming pigs for the sole purpose of generating electricity. As long as people eat meat and animal products there's gonna be animal excrements around and I would rather this to be converted into electricity than polluting the environment. That's what I'm thinking but let me know how you look at it.
  • Bart said:

I'm just not sure how bad it really is to use a unavoidable and otherwise harmful by-product of the animal agriculture industry and convert it into useful energy. It's not like they are farming pigs for the sole purpose of generating electricity. As long as people eat meat and animal products there's gonna be animal excrements around and I would rather this to be converted into electricity than polluting the environment. That's what I'm thinking but let me know how you look at it.

At last some sense, I completely agree with you Bart. Its a byproduct of the industry that needs to be seen to. A lot of this discussion has stemmed from an article that Ecotricity have produced, the same article that also states that Bulb use manure only (as opposed to other companies). Methane is a far worse gas when it enters the atmosphere and therefore it combustion into CO2 is far better - still a greenhouse gas but a step closer to a grid that does not rely on fossil fuels or nuclear power.
  • Actually it's not that simple. I talked with my friend who pointed out "It just might help in a way perpetuate the use/abuse of animals as it is, in a way, helping this farming industry from getting rid of one more responsibility of them, and most likely for a financial profit."

I agree with him. If the farms sell the dung or have their own energy generation facilities and then sell energy then this is not ok. This way we as vegans are directly funding animal agriculture.

So here goes my question to Bulb: do those farms sell the manure to energy generators? I assume if they are the energy generators themselves and own the facilities then Bulb is purchasing the energy from them. Which means we're paying for it.
    gphillips said:

Bart said:

I'm just not sure how bad it really is to use a unavoidable and otherwise harmful by-product of the animal agriculture industry and convert it into useful energy. It's not like they are farming pigs for the sole purpose of generating electricity. As long as people eat meat and animal products there's gonna be animal excrements around and I would rather this to be converted into electricity than polluting the environment. That's what I'm thinking but let me know how you look at it.

At last some sense, I completely agree with you Bart. Its a byproduct of the industry that needs to be seen to. A lot of this discussion has stemmed from an article that Ecotricity have produced, the same article that also states that Bulb use manure only (as opposed to other companies). Methane is a far worse gas when it enters the atmosphere and therefore it combustion into CO2 is far better - still a greenhouse gas but a step closer to a grid that does not rely on fossil fuels or nuclear power.