Smart meter removal — Bulb Community

Smart meter removal

We had a smart meter put in by our old supplier and it’s the worst decision I made regarding my energy.

I’ve asked Bulb to have my smart meter removed and my old dual tarriff meter reinstated.
Since changing to the smart meter my bills have increased by over 25%.

With a smart meter there is only one rate and that is the higher day rate, so we are used to using washing machine and tumble dryer at night to save on energy costs because the energy is cheaper at night and now that is costing us the same as day rate.

The night rate was approximately half the day rate before we changed to a single rate.

Energy is always cheaper at night because less is consumed outside of peak hours.

I feel that we were misled over these smart meters, we certainly have not saved any money.

Comments

• My understanding from looking on the Internet is that your original supplier who provided the smart meter would have remotely been able to change the meter from single to dual tariff. However having changed to Bulb your smart reading isn't able to communicate information to them or vice versa.

Money Supermarket have an interesting page at: https://www.moneysupermarket.com/gas-and-electricity/smart-meters/
  • My current provider didn’t offer a dual rate tariff. They are notoriously difficult to speak to as well.
    I’ve asked Bulb to reinstate an old style meter
  • Caesium said:

My current provider didn’t offer a dual rate tariff. They are notoriously difficult to speak to as well.
    I’ve asked Bulb to reinstate an old style meter

This doesn't make any sense! If your old supplier took a day and night reading from your old meter and charged at two different rates then by definition you were on a dual rate tariff! The installing of a smart meter in itself would not affect the price. It sees however that when it was installed an error was made, in that it was configured as a single rate meter. It should have been relatively easy for them to reconfigure it correctly to a dual rate meter. Not sure if bulb can arrange this given that first generation smart meters cannot be accessed by new suppliers following a provider change. Sure someone from bulb will be along to explain if this is an option, or if a meter change is required.

Again, your problems seem to stem from the configuration of your smart meter by your old supplier, not from the installation itself. Many economy seven users have successfully switched to smart meters and of course have seen no increase in bills as a result. If anything, smart meters are designed to encourage responsible energy use, and this includes highlighting usage at certain times of the day- in the future we are likely to see tariffs with many different time of use prices, perhaps varying throughout the day or from weekday to weekend.