Fracking — Bulb Community

Fracking

Is bulb frack free?

Comments

• why are you opposed to fracking when this is a sensible way to reduce gas imports?
  • The raison d'etre and ethos of Bulb is all about green, renewable energy sources.
    Imported or not, gas is a fossil fuel.
  • @petelewisr, I get the impression you joined Bulb for cheap prices rather than environmental/ethical concerns. While that is fine, you're probably unlikely to find many on here who share your views.

Burning gas produces that well known greenhouse gas known as CO2. You may not believe that an increase of CO2 is an issue, but again you're likely to find yourself in the minority.

If we have to import more gas, the price goes up, and people increasingly start to look for alternatives.
    Here in the UK that may be battery storage with tidal/wind power or something else, but as renewables are pretty much universally agreed upon to be the cheapest form of power (https://www.ebrd.com/news/2018/ebrd-says-renewables-are-now-cheapest-energy-source-.html) I think a lot of people are optimistic that it would just increase renewable generation.
  • Minority? Fracking is supported by the government and most of the population apart from fringe activists....most of use gas for space heating etc and bulb's own tarriff figures show electricity is about five times dearer per kWhr. It is surely in the national interest to develop our own resources here. Other countries such as Japan and Australia are busy developing their reliance on LNG for example, and the USA has pioneered use of fracking to develop their resource.
  • edited October 19
    @petelewisr, most people appear to not support fracking:
    https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/aug/03/public-support-for-fracking-in-the-uk-at-record-low-official-survey-reveals
    I'm always happy to have a discussion but please start providing some references for your claims if you have any.

I also said you're in the minority believing that CO2 does not have a significant impact on climate change.

It's in everyone's interest to not cause climate change.

Australia funnily enough are investing heavily in reneawables and battery storage as it's considered a far more workable solution for a energy issues they face.
    Renewables are cheap to install and can be easily scaled up as required, and the Tesla battery storage has significantly reduced their reliance on gas for grid stability.

The USA have shown the world the issues that fracking can cause, from pressurised gas entering underground aquifers (and then people's drinking water), and massive increases in seismic activity.
  • Opinion polls have shown for some time that most people want cheap energy, and current prices are hurting many people, especially those on low incomes. High prices for electricity are partly caused by support for renewables, and indeed coal fired power stations are now profitable again thanks to higher gas prices. I know that coal prices are low since I buy it directly for my own fires....so why shouldn't we as consumers benefit from using coal to generate electricity? Or are you keen to keep energy prices as high as possible, and generate more profits for bulb? Fracking is safe and productive, and should be supported by fair minded consumers to keep gas prices low..
    on water pollution, most water supplies especially in Lancashire, where fracking has just started, is supplied from reservoirs in the Lakes and such sources are totally unaffected by fracking.
  • edited October 19
    @petelewisr, again what you're posting is simply your opinion, so it seems like our discussion may have reached an end.

I know that coal prices are low since I buy it directly for my own fires....

I'm glad I live in a smokeless zone and Clean Air Act area so inconsiderate folks like yourself can't stink up my street by burning coal.

• Opinion polls have shown for some time that most people want cheap energy, and current prices are hurting many people, especially those on low incomes.

I don't disagree with this, but just because people want (a) doesn't necessarily mean (b). I mean, people want to get served quickly in the shops, but I doubt many people would be in favour of a 'Thanos Snap' getting rid of 50% of the population.

High prices for electricity are partly caused by support for renewables,

The new Hinkley Point C nuclear power station has a fixed/guaranteed 'strike price' for electricity of £92.50/MWh (which means they'll be charging that price for power) - the current wholesale price is £51/MWh.

Offshore wind turbines look to be £57.50/MWh dropping to £53/MWh with Solar around £50/MWh.

Fossil fuels can only get more expensive as they are depleted or get harder to recover, however renewables get cheaper as the technology to 'use them' (improved solar panels/turbines) etc gets cheaper/easier to make.
  • RichyB said:

I mean, people want to get served quickly in the shops, but I doubt many people would be in favour of a 'Thanos Snap' getting rid of 50% of the population.

#thanosdidnothingwrong :wink:
    The new Hinkley Point C nuclear power station has a fixed/guaranteed 'strike price' for electricity of £92.50/MWh (which means they'll be charging that price for power) - the current wholesale price is £51/MWh.

Offshore wind turbines look to be £57.50/MWh dropping to £53/MWh with Solar around £50/MWh.
    On that note, I believe even the future Wylfa power station (which we've invested £5B in) has a strike price of £75.

• No, my opinion on fracking is supported by the known facts, and fortunately by the government. The Luddites (aka Greens) of this country would have us return to the stone age. Gas is a widely used natural resource and users will demand action to develop our own resources. gas oil and coal.
  • So why did you join Bulb @petelewisr? If I had strong views like yours I wouldn't join this company on principle. There are cheaper options around now as well - you weren't swayed by the referral scheme, were you?
  • The deal offered was the cheapest at the time, and what guarantee is there that all Bulb's electricity is renewable? The National Grid is what it says and takes all elec once generated!
  • The deal offered was the cheapest at the time, and what guarantee is there that all Bulb's electricity is renewable? The National Grid is what it says and takes all elec once generated!

This should answer your query https://bulb.co.uk/energy/
  • I am unconvinced: does Bulb operate its own grid attached solely to wind and solar farms etc? The National grid takes all generated electricity whatever its source, and there is no selection of green sources or even fossil fuel sources.
  • I am unconvinced: does Bulb operate its own grid attached solely to wind and solar farms etc? The National grid takes all generated electricity whatever its source, and there is no selection of green sources or even fossil fuel sources.

You know very well Bulb don't operate their own grid system.

I liken the system by saying if Bulb purchases X amount of energy from verifiable green energy producers and Bulb provides X amount of energy to their customers then Bulb is a 100% green supplier.
  • Personally I cringe at the mention of climate change so no matter if it cools or warms its climate change which it has done for centuries. In my lifetime I have had media panicking the public over both cooling and warming.
    I firmly believe that in the next hundred years or so the population will implode either through war or some catastrophic disease to the point that climate change will be well down the priority list.
  • edited October 21
    Let’s hope so.
    scudo said:

I firmly believe that in the next hundred years or so the population will implode either through war or some catastrophic disease

• No, my opinion on fracking is supported by the known facts, and fortunately by the government. The Luddites (aka Greens) of this country would have us return to the stone age. Gas is a widely used natural resource and users will demand action to develop our own resources. gas oil and coal.

Your "known" facts, which you have provided no references for. Prices are going up right now because of the increase in gas cost, and fracking is a much more expensive way of getting gas out of the ground. So fracking will increase the cost of gas, and power substantially.

Even Bulb have told you the recent price increases are down to gas:

Hi @petelewisr - Not at all - this is almost entirely due to Natural Gas shortages and the huge demand that was faced for it in the very cold winter and also over summer, when Nuclear energy had a shortage. Because so much of the UK is dependent on gas-fired power stations, when there's a shortage of gas, the demand for all other sources goes up and results in higher prices. The best way to combat this is by investing in as many diverse types of power as possible.

And the renewable production has been extremely high this year:
    https://theguardian.com/environment/2018/may/16/wind-power-overtakes-nuclear-for-first-time-in-uk-across-a-quarter

And is expected to be cheaper by 2020 too:
    https://independent.co.uk/environment/renewable-energy-cheaper-fossil-fuels-2020-uk-green-climate-change-global-warming-report-irea-a8160051.html

But hey if you want to keep sticking your fingers in your ears and going lalalala when everyone, including Bulb says your wrong then go ahead.
  • So fracking is very expensive? So why has the price of gas dropped so far in the USA where fracking is now commonplace? I think you are the one with his fingers in his ear.
  • @petelwisr, SOURCES PLEASE

Seriously, nobody's going to take your claims seriously unless you start posting some real world numbers to support them.
    scudo said:

I firmly believe that in the next hundred years or so the population will implode either through war or some catastrophic disease

I don't necessarily believe this dark timeline (although it's probably got a far higher likelihood than a lot of things that people bet on), but honestly I don't believe that we're going to do enough to stop the global temperature rise and I think that extraordinary weather conditions and significant sea level rise is basically guaranteed.
    We should still be doing our best to try and reduce the amount of greenhouse gases and pollutants in the air, and the quantity of natural resources that we use to limit the effects though.
  • They've had to pause now after it's already caused 6 micro earthquakes since Friday.
  • So the Luddites point to "micro earthquakes" as a problem? They are in no way earthquakes at all but tiny tremors which cannot be felt at the surface and cause no damage to any structures. Yet more biased news from the Luddites....but Cuadrilla halted he process for a day to assuage them. I hope they move fast now to unlock some of our own gas resources. Fortunately we also have large coal resources as well, as I can vouch with my own open coal fire (allowed in much of the countryside), which is smoke free most of the time. And now coal-fired power stations are back in profit and helping to ease the energy hiatus.
  • edited October 25
    @petelewisr, Just because you think you know better does not mean that other people are incorrect.

I appreciate the particulates you're adding into the atmosphere for myself and my family to breath in...
    There's no such thing as a smoke free open coal fire (or a closed off one for that matter). I invite you to give the inside of your chimney a good lick, or take a nice deep breath in the bag of soot collected next time you get it swept.
  • I notice you haven't bothered to address the fracking issues, perhaps owing to your own bias...any smoke from my fires is soon deposited and I have had no complaints from any neighbors about possible pollution. I don't know where you live but you will certainly not be affected by any of my coal or wood smoke. Your Luddite ideas would have kept this nation in feudal servitude....if we had not ignored such spurious ideas and used carbon resources to improve the lives of all peoples.
  • Was I dreaming, I thought I heard something today about fracking being stopped due an earthquake tremor?
  • I'm not sure why are you calling us "Luddite's" ? It means "A person opposed to increased industrialization or new technology.", which doesn't fit anyone but yourself here. I think everyone here is advocates for new technology, and I'm personally all for deploying new on-shore wind, solar and moving to electric vehicles.
  • We already have reliable and cheap technology without any need for expensive solutions such as wind or solar energy. Both are dependent on the changeable weather, so when energy is needed, cannot supply needs. This is supported by fake science which makes unbelievable predictions 100 years ahead....a new Nostrodamus for gullible politicians.
  • @petelewisr

What is the reliable and cheap technology?
  • This post went from asking about is Bulb free from energy sourced from fracking,, which doesn't seem to be answered, to renewable energy and technology of such renewable energy which produces energy for electricity and odd progression as fracking would supply gas which is used to heat homes and cook.

To my knowledge there is only one fracking sit within the UK, Lancaster. This is the test site to prove fracking is safe, as there has been too much sensational speculation about the effects of fracking without any empirical or theoretical scientific evidence to support such claims that fracking is unsafe. Obviously with the current earthquake that occurred their recently it has not given much confidence that it is safe, however, there is no evidence of yet what caused the earthquake; whether it was due to fracking or natural occurrence. obviously this fracking site has been supplying unconventional gas to gas energy suppliers that is the whole point, the only people able to answer this questions would be Bulb and it would mostly be a small percentage compared to other sources. Obviously fracking is popular in the USA and as the UK imports a lot of its gas supply from other countries, the question arises does the imported supply consists of sources from fracking which again bulb can only answer.

There are many customers that have a very environmental factor in their buying decision making power, why cant we have our cake and eat it, with energy? Low cost and green, sounds awesome, it has already been pointed out that the cost of renewable technology for the production of electricity is going down as it becomes more popular. Its' popularity will increase due to the finite supply of older methods of production of electricity and commitment of reduce CO2 levels.

There has been suggestion to invest in more efficient and new technology to source renewable energy, however, there is very little alternative of the use for natural gas to heat our homes. There has been an increase in research about bio-fuels that accelerates the production of natural gases from sources that are considered waste which, is naturally produced by animals and humans. I find Bio-fuels the opposite of current renewable energy thought, its current model literally produces greenhouse gasses no different from extracting gas from the offshore or onshore sources.
  • JustSsavvy

Thanks for the interesting observation which iI found useful in the fracking discussion.

Euan at Bulb in his response of 13 August on this thread said Bulb were frack free.
  • Allanr said:

JustSsavvy

Thanks for the interesting observation which iI found useful in the fracking discussion.

Euan at Bulb in his response of 13 August on this thread said Bulb were frack free.

i did not interpret that response in the affirmative that bulb does not supply natural gas from fracking sources, however, I can see that could have been the case, if I take some more time to consider.