Top tips to reduce your energy usage — Bulb Community

Top tips to reduce your energy usage

These are our top 5 energy saving tips. What are yours? How do you keep your energy use low?

1. Turn your thermostat down. Lowering by 1 degree can save £80 per year

2. Turn off lights and no standby mode. Switching off can save £44 per year

3. A cooler wash and less tumble drying. Washing at 30c & drying washing outside can save
£36 per year

4. Replace your light bulbs. Using all LEDs can save £35 per year

5. Draught-proof your home. Blocking gaps in doors and windows can save £15 per year

Comments

• edited August 16
    We found that our Xbox uses twice as much energy as our refrigerator. Showering is by far our most expensive activity though. Who wants to join me in saving the planet one stinky armpit at a time?
  • Use a bowl rather than a running tap to do your washing up. You waste less energy heating water and washing up gloves look great!
  • Use eco mode on your dishwasher and turn off the drying function if you don’t need the dishes immediately.
  • If you don't have double glazing you can buy glazing film to put on your windows from DIY shops. If you're in a pinch you can even use cling film and it will keep the house warmer.
  • cotie said:

We found that our Xbox uses twice as much energy as our refrigerator. Showering is by far our most expensive activity though. Who wants to join me in saving the planet one stinky armpit at a time?

how did you measure the difference??
  • @FabreGAS : There's several way to measure the difference.

The simplest/cheapest is to turn everything else off, take a meter reading, turn on (say just the shower), use it, take another meter reading and turn everything back on.

Then you can step up to things like the 'Kill A Watt' style electricity usage monitors/power meters/meter sockets which plug into sockets and the item (such as the fridge) plugs into that. The meter will then either display (or send to your phone) the usage of that socket. However, this won't work with 'hard wired' devices (such as showers and some electric ovens) as there is no plug to put the meter into.

The next step up I guess would be to either get the 'clamp meters' and clamp the power lines going into sockets/devices (such as the cables leading to the shower: finding them, as they'll be hidden in walls - will the 'fun' job, but you may be able to clamp around them coming out of the distribution unit) or see if you can get circuit breakers with built in displays and replace those in the distribution unit (which will give the power usage per 'circuit' - but ovens/showers tend to be on their own circuits anyway).

I just work on the 'I'll try and keep my main [heavy duty] PC off for most of the month and see what my bill is at the end of it' basis (turns out it's about £10/pm saving!).
  • @RichyB. Have you used a 'Kill A Watt' style device? Did you find it useful?

Some of us at Bulb recently reviewed smart plugs and will be reviewing smart thermostats. Maybe this is something we could look into too.
  • Hi @Eleanor at Bulb : No, I haven't used a 'Kill A Watt' - keep thinking about them (with working from home and two high powered PCs and other electricals we do have a higher than average electricity bill which I ideally want to reduce). I'd look forward to a review of the various types available and, even better, how accurate they are!
  • Sounds like it could be a good energy saving device @RichyB.

I found it to be cheaper to fill my freezer with food than to have it running half empty. I'm sure it made a difference to my energy bills.

We'll see if this is something we could review.
  • I found it to be cheaper to fill my freezer with food than to have it running half empty. I'm sure it made a difference to my energy bills.

I do a similar thing - just with frozen ice packs from food deliveries. Yes, it'll take energy to freeze them, but I would expect the 'thermal mass' to then keep everything cool (especially in the edge case of a power cut). Again, something for 'Bulb Mythbusters' to test ;)