Change from Economy 7 Dual Rate meter to single rate meter when SMETS2 Smart Meter is installed? — Bulb Community

Change from Economy 7 Dual Rate meter to single rate meter when SMETS2 Smart Meter is installed?

Hi,

Just joined Bulb. I currently have an Economy 7 old style meter, but I'd like to be on a single rate tariff. I've been told this isn't possible with Bulb, even though other suppliers can do this, by simply adding to the 2 numbers together.

When my new SMETS2 meter is installed at the end of 2018, can it be a single rate meter?

Thanks.

Comments

• Hi @Strontium00 - once we install a SMETS2, you can choose if you'd like a one rate or two rate agreement. We'll be in touch when we're ready to start installing in your area.
  • That's great news, thanks Bill!
  • Bear in mind smart meters have been "coming soon" since I joined a year ago... I tried to disable my Economy 7 earlier and was told I can't, so I am switching to a provider who will do that
  • I wonder why bulb say Ofcom rules prohibit them from taking the 2 economy 7 meter readings and amalgamating into one for those who would prefer to opt put of economy 7, whereas it appears some providers can do it. Why different rules?
  • aejolliff said:

I wonder why bulb say Ofcom rules prohibit them from taking the 2 economy 7 meter readings and amalgamating into one for those who would prefer to opt put of economy 7, whereas it appears some providers can do it. Why different rules?

I was told the energy I receive somehow is bought at a different cost - which doesn't really make sense as it all comes from the same main grid anyway

• I was told the energy I receive somehow is bought at a different cost - which doesn't really make sense as it all comes from the same main grid anyway

I wonder if it is due to the energy producers where Bulb buy their energy charges more in the day than the night (when demand is less).?

When demand is higher during the day the producers can charge a premium whereas during the night they may have surplus capacity and hence are happy to sell their energy at a lower price.

The fact you get your energy from the same "grid" doesn't make any difference it is what Bulb have to pay their energy producers which to some extent determine their tariffs.

Bulb as a green energy supplier has to demonstrate that the energy they supply to their customers is matched by the energy they buy from their suppliers,

This page from Bulb may explain it better: https://bulb.co.uk/generators/
  • Hi guys thanks for getting in touch. As @Allanr says, energy actually does cost more during the day. We buy electricity in half hour intervals to cover the predicted usage of energy by our members, and since people are more likely to use energy during the day it's more expensive. That's how we can do a two rate tariff where energy is cheaper at night and more expensive during the day, if you have a two rate meter. For everyone else, we average it out a bit more
  • Hi

I am looking to move my dual fuel supply from npower to Bulb.

Could you confirm the best tariff for dual meters?

Is the referral promotion still valid for these tariffs?

Thanks

Andrew
  • Bulb only offer one tariff, i.e. there are no best tariff.

Please see: https://bulb.co.uk/tariff/

The £50 referral scheme is valid if you switch to Bulb and the person who referred is still a customer when you switch.