Bulb and smart meters — Bulb Community

Bulb and smart meters

Can Bulb read my smart meter?

If you already have a smart meter (SMETS1), we can’t read it remotely so you’ll need to send us meter readings.

We’ve partnered with a company who will be able to read some first generation smart meters. We’ll individually contact those members who we can successfully receive smart meter readings from.

If we’re not able to read your current smart meter, we’ll get you fitted with a second-generation (SMETS2) smart meter.

When can I get a smart meter from Bulb?

We aren’t offering smart meters just yet but we'll be rolling out second generation (SMETS2) smart meters to our members from late 2018.

If you’d like to be added to the list of members that are keen to take part in our smart meter generation trial, please fill out this form.

Why has there been a delay in Bulb’s smart meter roll out?

You can read all about why we haven't yet rolled out smart meters on our blog post.

Comments

• Do you know what make of smart meter (SMETS1) you'll be able to read?
    I'm stuck in a situation with my "Liberty Secure" Smart Meter that didn't go from "pre-pay to dumb" when I switched to Bulb recently.
    Due to (shall we say) "uncooperative" neighbours I can't be my meter replaced easily.
  • There is a table on the page below that lists model numbers of SMETS1 meters which it claims will be able to be adopted into the SMETS2 system. Don't know if this matches up with what Bulb have planned.
    https://smartme.co.uk/technical.html
  • Hey @Bill_C and @IKnowNothing - @Selina at Bulb will be updating the community what's happening with smart meters shortly. We'll be in contact with all our members that have smart meters we can speak to shortly.
  • @Eleanor at Bulb Thanks for the update.
    Luckily my meter flicked into Dumb mode a few hours ago so it's not an urgency now.
  • Thanks for letting us know @Bill_C
  • Hello Eleanor,
    I live in a brand new building that has been equiped with smart reader + remote wireless remote reader from British Gas.
    they seem to be the latest generation.
    Would they be compatible with Bulb? If yes i would be happy to be part on the Smart Meter Program.
    Many thanks
  • Hi @Vince. We'll be able to speak to ~1/3 of SMETS1. At this point, I don't know if we'll be able to read yours. If it isn't then we'll be able to fit you with a SMETS2. I've popped your name on the programme.
  • edited October 12
    @Eleanor at Bulb, can you (or anyone else) provide a bit more technical info on why only around 1/3 of SMETS1 meters will be able to be read by yourselves?

@Vince, do you have any details on the exact meter? There's a very slim possibility that it could be an SMETS2 meter but it is unlikely.
  • @mowcius - I can!

We use CGI as a third party company to read SMETS1 meters and they're able to read only around 1/3 of SMETS meters.

The problem is they don't give us any information which meters they can read. In order to check if a particular meter is compatible, CGI has to enrol that meter and check if they can read it. Usually, it takes 1 to 2 days.

We think we found a better way to check which meters are compatible, but we have to test it.
  • Hello Eléonore,
    How can I check the exact model I have? Serial number?
  • @Vince - yep. Please send us a picture at help@bulb.co.uk and one of our team with take a look for you :)
  • @Eleanor at Bulb, Is this not what is meant to be being fixed in the future or are you (/CGI) never going to be able to get info from those other 66%?
  • Hey everyone,
    I've just switched from BG and had a smart meter for about 6 months so guessing it's a newer one? any way to find out, also does this mean Bulb will be able to read them or do i still need to do manual readings :)
    Thanks
  • @mowcius - suppliers must do all that we can to read SMETS1 smart meters. We are trying to speak to as many SMETS1 as we can but we simply can't speak to them all.

For the 66% that we can't read, we'll need to come and fit you with a new SMETS2 smart meter.

@fellsteruk. Even if it's a new smart meter, it will be a SMETS1. This means that either we'll be able to communicate with it despite being the old technology or we'll need to fit a new SMETS 2 meter. You can read exactly what that means here.

We'll let you know if and when we can talk to your meter but for now, we'll need you to give us your meter readings.

• thanks makes sense now i've read that.
  • edited October 15

@fellsteruk. Even if it's a new smart meter, it will be a SMETS1.

That's not entirely correct.
    British Gas and OVO at least have installed some SMETS2 meters. People could be joining Bulb with one now.

• mowcius said:

@fellsteruk. Even if it's a new smart meter, it will be a SMETS1.

That's not entirely correct.
    British Gas and OVO at least have installed some SMETS2 meters. People could be joining Bulb with one now.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2018/sep/15/smart-meter-revolution-at-risk-short-circuited
  • Ive not had my BG smart meter for long how do i check?
  • @fellsteruk This is something that we'll be checking for you. At the moment, we're having to check one by one. We'll be in contact with you when we know if we can speak to your meter. It is not so much about the age but the central information system your meter uses.
  • Ive not had my BG smart meter for long how do i check?

• edited 3:54PM
    Cool thanks I have an L&G E470 whoop whoop

Will bulb be able to see my usage now then or are they still working on it
  • Cool thanks I have an L&G E470 whoop whoop

Will bulb be able to see my usage now then or are they still working on it

Apparently L&G E470 (without the four digit addition suffix) are Smet 1 .
  • Poop

Perhaps not all gloom, check out: https://www.smartme.co.uk/technical.html which is where I got my information.