Bulb's response to the government's proposal to end the FIT scheme — Bulb Community

Bulb's response to the government's proposal to end the FIT scheme

Hi everyone,

I’m Deborah, the Product Manager for the Feed-in Tariff at Bulb.

On 19 July 2018, the Department of Business Energy and Industrial Strategy (BEIS) published a consultation saying they intended to close the FIT scheme for applicants from 1st April 2019.

BEIS gave us the opportunity to feedback about this intention, and we did.

We told BEIS that the government shouldn’t end the Feed-in Tariff export tariff. We want the UK to be greener and removing the tariff will lead to less small-scale renewable electricity installations in the UK.

We let them know about our long-term plan, Bulb wants to offer an export tariff to our members who are small-scale generators. We want to buy the electricity you export and pay you based on the wholesale energy price.

Currently, there’s no practical way we can offer this type of export tariff. We want the government to set up a system where suppliers can offer an export tariff to their customers before retiring the government’s FIT export tariff.

What do you think of the government's plan? What would you look for to replace FIT?

Comments

• Net metering would be ideal..but that's not going to happen.

• Perhaps a significant grant for home battery installations, and allow the national grid to call on them if needed? If people can get solar and a decent sized battery (Powerwall 2) then they can be mostly self sufficient while reducing significant peaks in demand.
  • The ability for exports from solar is needed, with the only other real financial option for people is to go almost off grid to get the most of their investment otherwise they'd be supplying to the grid with no return. If/when I get solar panels, I'm particularly interested in an export tariff, as it can be done without subsidies. Whereas the generation tariff which is a complete subsidy.
  • It's a bizarre move by the government. What they need is more green energy not less.