How can we make the Bulb app AMAZING? — Bulb Community

How can we make the Bulb app AMAZING?

edited May 12 in About Bulb
Thanks to everyone who filled in our survey on how we should build our app. It's super useful. It's here if you haven't taken it yet.

We've pulled together all your ideas so far, and we need your help to decide which are the best. We want to build the best app for managing energy. Ever. So let us know which ones you think are important.

Here are the ideas so far. Which ones should we prioritise? We'll keep updating the list as more ideas come in.

Things we'll (almost) definitely do:
- Make it simple, quick, stable, and good looking is the number 1 priority
- Entering meter readings is the most important feature according to the survey
- Monitor and manage payments and statements
- See past usage and future estimates
- Smart meter integrations
- Ability to adjust payment amounts

Blue sky ideas. Which ones would make the Bulb app great?
- See the live CO2 savings for all members and how much you've personally saved
- Fingerprint login
- Notifications on how to save energy
- Warnings for unusually high energy use
- Options to give rewards to charity
- Integration with other apps, such as IFTTT
- Smart home controls
- Torch function when reading meters
- Take photos of meters with automatic number recognition for meter readings
- Bulb community

Thanks everyone. Can't wait to see your ideas.

Comments

• Fingerprint login would be great.
  • I also vote for Fingerprint login
  • kaisa said:

I also vote for Fingerprint login

Yes love this!
  • Yes, fingerprint login would be good. Also energy saving tips.
  • +1 fingerprint login <3
  • Yep - I vote fingerprint login too!
  • Wow. We'll definitely have to think about fingerprint login then!
  • No user info on phone, just a unique identifier, so if phone hacked,lost or stolen. details wont be compromised..
  • Security options on phones ( ie, code or finger prints) are a daft idea ( Thats the point of ICE numbers.!!). mobiles are easily black listed these days without the need to go over the top.
  • +1 for fingerprint log in

Would be good to have the ability for auto-adjusting temperature through smart home integratu
  • Smart Home Controls please. I would expect a new app to have all of the easy to use features (such as one touch login) already. If you are going to blue sky for the future you need to work on knowing and controlling energy usage. Smart Home Meters and smart devices on appliances/circuits to monitor, inform and then control all household energy usage.
  • Yes, I would also love to see more smart home products, options and applications from Bulb.
  • I love the torch idea. Taking a photo would be much easier. I'd like to know if my energy usage is unusually high and tips for savings.
  • catale said:

Security options on phones ( ie, code or finger prints) are a daft idea.

If we were to implement any alternative sign in options, it would always be optional. We wouldn't force anyone to use fingerprint if they don't want to. Different people have different security preferences for their phones. My brother doesn't even have a lock screen on his, while mine is fully encrypted. Each to their own :)
  • Love the ideas of smart home controls, being able to link to smart meters and, before then, photo of meters to submit readings. Not fussed about fingerprint login myself so I hope there will be other options as well.
  • I personally don't think there is any need for fingerprint log in. My phone is already secured by my fingerprint, I can understand why a bank would use it, I just don't see why bulb would require it. my phone has saved the log in details so if I go to bulb.com I don't need to log in
  • I forgot to mention I would really like the smart meter option when I completed the survey. No hassle then with estimates or reading meters. I have been very impressed with Bulb since switching, keep up the good work, thank you.
  • edited May 12
    Love the idea of seeing your own green footprint somehow
  • Like the idea of being able to photograph the meters to send a reading! Thanks bulb for all you do
  • Looking forward to seeing an app - as it says, meter readings and usage would be prime function, having a torch is hardly blue sky though - meter readers always come round with a torch for good reason, meters are in dark places and I'm fairly sure the nPower app (which was pretty good btw) had a torch years ago.
  • As I switched from another provider to Bulb, the Smart meter doesn't work now. I miss it. Will the Bulb app replace it?
  • I think the footprint stats would be great to have. It's not the main feature but something that just shows the big picture, like what CityMapper do.

Also having fingerprint login may not be necessary when opening the app but it could be used later, such as submitting readings or payments.
  • My votes:

- Notifications on how to save energy
    - Warnings for unusually high energy use
  • If you can incorporate all those you will have one seriously amazing app on your hands
  • For me take photos of meters with automatic number recognition for meter readings that would take any hassle out of the process. If it could work in tandem with the torch even better
  • OCR for readings would be great, along with notifications for bills and such.

Also using HTTPS as your only website connection method would be even better :)

• fingerprint
    high usage warnings
    photo and OCR
  • Fingerprint login would get one vote from me. For those that use a password vault like 1Password, there's a specific objective c extension.

OCR recognition of meters would be impressive.
  • My personal annoyance is usage charts that have zero actionable data. Look here's a pretty graph, so what? I used more energy in January than June - shock horror! To make it worthwhile I'd like to tag my usage - family visit - working from home - maternity leave etc - real reasons why energy use changes. Also was June hotter or colder than average - maybe there was high pressure in March which meant hard frosts? This would make any usage of value. Lastly - don't give me energy saving tips - take my profile, house size, rooms, number of children etc etc then tell me - am I using more or less energy than the average? Bulb gets excellent market information - I get tailored and actionable usage information.

Echo the point that finger print log in is pretty pointless - if someone wants to log on and pay my bill then great.

Thanks
  • Easy meter logs via your APP.
    "NO!" to finger print. Too big brother for me.