Smart Meter & Smart Tarrif — Bulb Community

Smart Meter & Smart Tarrif

Hi,

I was wondering when in "late 2018" Bulb shall start installing smart meters? I'm very keen to try out the new Smart Tariff you launched earlier this week as I am an EV owner - it would obviously be very beneficial to have the lower over-night rate for charging my car. I currently don't have a smart meter at all - am I right in thinking you have to have an existing smart meter to take advantage of the new tarrif ? Or would you install a smart meter if you are an existing bulb customer who wishes to sign up to the new Smart Tarrif?

TIA

Ash

Comments

• Heya @ashleen

Awesome that you're interested in the tariff. It will be very beneficial for EV owners.

The conditions for joining the smart tariff beta are either:

1) You have SMETS1 meter than we can read. Bulb will check if their SMETS1 meter is compatible and let the member know automatically.

2) Have a SMETS2 meter that Bulb have installed.

3) Have a SMETS2 meter that another supplier installed and then switched to Bulb

So, for now, you won't be able to join the beta for the smart tariff. However, I've added you to smart meter list so when we're ready to roll them out, we'll be able to fit you with one and add you to the smart tariff too!

• Hi Eleanor,

Thanks for the quick response and for adding me to the list, I think I am already on it, but thanks all the same.

Do you know when smart meters are likely to happen at all? We are already in late 2018 but there hasn't been any update or news for some time now as to when it is going to happen.

TIA again :-)

Ash
  • Out of interest, were other community members aware of this tariff? Would guess not given responses to other forum queries about it.
  • yyt said:

Out of interest, were other community members aware of this tariff? Would guess not given responses to other forum queries about it.

I wasn't aware of it until a couple of days ago when I saw a button which I couldn't recollect seeing previously on my "Account and tariff info" page,
  • it was apparently launched on Tuesday but it hasn't been publicised at all. I only found out about it through an EV forum on Facebook that I'm a member of
  • Heya @ashleen. Our smart team will be writing a blog post shortly. They'll be able to give you an update on where we're up to with the smart meter roll-out and how we know which SMETS1 meters we can talk to. As soon as it's up, I'll link it on Community you guys are aware.

@yyt. In terms of the Smart Tariff, we're also going to be announcing it soon. As with everything we deploy at Bulb, we want to test things first. It's super important that we've made sure things are working smoothly and that we get feedback from our members before releasing it.

So far, we've had a huge amount of requests to switch to the smart tariff. And we're getting back to everyone who has signed up.
  • @Eleanor at Bulb Agree that it's super important to make sure things are working smoothly - especially the basics like accepting/using customer readings rather than estimates, displaying correct usage predictions and sending out accurate monthly (rather than multi-month) bills.
  • yyt

I have only been with Bulb since very early May, but I have never any problem regarding Bulb accepting my actual readings rather their estimated readings. Where Bulb have used estimated reading it is because I submitted my own readings a little earlier than normal due to being away from home, where this happened the estimate readings reading were only slightly in excess of my readings.

I have always had accurate bills based on my actual meter readings (or slightly over if Bulb had to use estimated for the situations mentioned above).

I'm not saying it happens in your particular case but I wonder if a lot of problems are due customers not submitting monthly meter readings at the correct time or just before?
  • That's a fair and reasonable assumption @Allanr. Be a customer for another year, keep reading the forums then decide again.

I'd even be happy if they tried displaying the Contact information somewhere else - people have been failing to find it for at least two years (strange, I know, but it seems to be a persistent problem).
  • edited October 2018
    @yyt

I agree regarding the contact information please see https://community.bulb.co.uk/discussion/6656/contact-details#latest

• @Allanr That has been suggested many times before but is always ignored.
  • @Allanr and @yyt - I've raised the contact information signposting as a technical fix to make.

It's been suggested that we add it 'Help' section at the bottom of this page. Where do you think we should add it?

• edited October 2018

I've raised the contact information signposting as a technical fix to make.

It's been suggested that we add it 'Help' section at the bottom of this page. Where do you think we should add it?

Perhaps under the 'Find us' bit listing the street address (which, let's face it, most people won't want) just have a link saying 'Email/Phone details' to the contact page (and also, perhaps on the 'Help' page under the search box - I know you have 'Most popular articles' - but before that have 'Contact us | Emergencies | Switching' as simple clear text links to help guide common queries to the right sections.)
  • Cheers @RichyB. Very true. it's often easier to pick up the phone than come to London.

I'll add those extras to the Help articles this afternoon.
  • edited October 2018
    @Eleanor at Bulb, there should at the very least be a "Contact Us" at the bottom of all pages (even just in the sitemap would be better than nothing).

That's the standardised wording that everyone expects and it still confuses me when it's not there and you have to go through "Help" instead.
  • @mowcius

I almost agree except I think it should be at the top of each page.

I think the vast majority of the posts on this forum are best dealt by the poster contacting Bulb direct rather than one of us pointing to them to the contact details or waiting for the Bulb team to visit the forum. Having a "contact us" link on each page would possibly eliminate this?
  • Allanr said:

I think the vast majority of the posts on this forum are best dealt by the poster contacting Bulb direct rather than one of us pointing to them to the contact details or waiting for the Bulb team to visit the forum. Having a "contact us" link on each page would possibly eliminate this?

Possibly - but we've got no idea about the number of queries that are actually answered by people searching the forum which saves them from posting a question or emailing Bulb.
  • yytyyt
    edited October 2018
    RichyB said:

Allanr said:

Possibly - but we've got no idea about the number of queries that are actually answered by people searching the forum which saves them from posting a question or emailing Bulb.
    @RichyB Whatever that number is it's irrelevant; Allan's point still applies to many forum queries - far more than there would be if Bulb contact details were signposted appropriately
  • Allanr said:

I almost agree except I think it should be at the top of each page.

Both seems like a good idea then.

If a decent FAQ was in a location that users looking for help ended up at, most of the queries on the forum wouldn't end up on the forum or with Bulb support.

From the main community page:

This is a step in the right direction, but it implies that if none of those answer the user's problem, they should ask the community.

Perhaps "Check out more frequently asked questions" should be the line below.

With a decent forum, all of these queries that ask the same question could also be grouped into the same discussion thread, vastly reducing the number of threads people might have to look through to find an answer.
    We all know the search function is useless too.

Basic searches come up with mostly unrelated posts. I'm guessing it searches by individual words, maybe with some weighting? Anything with "meter" in it just brings up pretty much the same recent posts.
  • Can you please add us to the list for a smart meter
  • Hi guys, definitely a good idea regarding the contact details-maybe some sort of button on or near the 'ask the community a question' one, that directed them to us for less community centric questions. I've passed it on to the website guys, lets see what they think.

Oh, and @Cherida you can sign up to the trial list here if you like
  • Hi guys, definitely a good idea regarding the contact details-maybe some sort of button on or near the 'ask the community a question' one, that directed them to us for less community centric questions. I've passed it on to the website guys, lets see what they think.

I raised a similar query a while ago: https://community.bulb.co.uk/discussion/4874/suggested-amendment-to-new-discussion-communit-page#latest