Bulb & Electric National Grid — Bulb Community

Bulb & Electric National Grid

How does Bulb ensure my energy received is renewable?
As they have to pay for energy before I use it, and ONLY know how much I have used after I have usedit!!?
Do Bulb ensure their paid generators do provide the coreect amount of renewable electric energy?
Woodchar

Comments

• Hi @Woodchar ,
    Woodchar said:

How does Bulb ensure my energy received is renewable?... Do Bulb ensure their paid generators do provide the coreect amount of renewable electric energy?

From https://bulb.co.uk/energy/ :

The best kind of energy
    When you switch to Bulb, we make sure that for every unit of electricity you use, a unit is produced and put on the grid by a renewable source like Llyn Brenig Hydro in North Wales. In addition, 10% of our gas comes from biomethane...
    Verification
    Every unit of renewable electricity or gas that we purchase is accredited. This means we can verify the amount of renewable energy we supply. For electricity, this is run by the regulator Ofgem. Every year, like all suppliers, we report on the amount of electricity we've purchased from what source: coal, gas, nuclear and renewables. For Bulb, it's simple: 100% of our electricity comes from renewable sources. We report to the green gas industry too, who verify that 10% of our gas is from renewable sources
    Woodchar said:

As they have to pay for energy before I use it, and ONLY know how much I have used after I have usedit!!?

From https://help.bulb.co.uk/hc/en-us/articles/115001227451-When-is-my-first-payment-

Why do we take payments in advance?
    Upfront payments let us be smarter when buying your energy, so we can pass more savings on to our members.

Once you’ve switched to Bulb, we’ll take monthly payments from your bank account which will build up credit in your Bulb Account. Every month we’ll use this credit to pay for the energy you’ve used.

By doing this we’re able to keep your payment amount the same throughout the year, meaning there are no surprise bills in the colder months.
    Hope it helps!
  • They don't, in effect, it's all worked out afterwards. The way I like to think of the grid is a giant lake, for every bucket of water I'm metered for scooping out, bulb throws one in. The people at the national grid will make sure Bulb put back what their customer take out! (The grid also deal with keeping the grid balanced and the voltage at the right level which is a complex task). If you want to only use electrons that will have come from a green source, you'll have to buy a big battery and some solar panels.