Bulb Smart Tariff — Bulb Community

Bulb Smart Tariff

https://bulb.co.uk/blog/testing-bulbs-smart-tariff

Due to a lack of a specific post for this, I thought I'd create one.
(Oh how I long for Discourse and combining threads)

Who's on this tariff and what are your thoughts so far?

What could Bulb do to make it more useable? (some kind of automated notifications from the app were suggested in another thread)

Comments

• Thanks for sharing - I hadn't even heard of it. (I wanted to like the post but ... can't. Agree with the Discourse request). I'm not on the tariff but now have PV so not sure if I could or not?
  • I saw the blog post and looked up my account and noticed a 'smart tariff' click option now appearing in my tariff page - strange as I don't have a smart meter and with Bulb not starting their roll-out until next year, not many of us will yet!
  • Thanks for sharing - I hadn't even heard of it. (I wanted to like the post but ... can't. Agree with the Discourse request). I'm not on the tariff but now have PV so not sure if I could or not?

I don't see why you couldn't so long as you have a compatible smart meter. FiT export rates are independent of import tariff rates.
  • edited October 2018
    I can see they charge different amounts at different times on this tariff but how much do they actually charge at each time on/off peak as that would make me think about if I would switch or not.

Edit: Ignore that I've seen it now
  • I suspect that if you have an electric car, it would likely make sense, otherwise perhaps not.

Personally my power usage is pretty low and things are either on all the time (fridge, freezer), or they're on when needed (oven, microwave, kettle etc.) so I don't think I could save anything by switching.
  • mowcius said:

Who's on this tariff and what are your thoughts so far?

I switched to the smart tariff on 2018/11/07. I didn't bother making any comparisons up until the end of the year due to me being away on a long business trip, combined with not driving my EV much over Christmas due to being on holiday.

I now have my January bill of normal usage, and so thought I'd make the comparison against the standard single-rate tariff.

Between January 2 and February 2 I used a total of 407kWh of electricity, of which 122kWh went into my EV on the night rate as metered by my Pod-Point. Here are the stats:

Off-peak 43%
    Night 50%
    Peak 7%

My total bill including standing charge and VAT was £54.70. On the single rate the cost would have been £61.85, meaning I have made a saving of £7.15. Not a huge amount, but over 12 months that's £86 so a decent saving. If I were on traditional Economy 7 then my bill would have totalled £55.84, meaning I've saved £1.14, and to be honest I'd rather pay that small extra amount and not have to worry about the inconvenience of avoiding peak rate costs.
    mowcius said:

What could Bulb do to make it more useable? (some kind of automated notifications from the app were suggested in another thread)

I don't think app notifications would be useful. If I want notification I can just set time-based calendar alerts on my phone. My IHD does give me alerts on the display with a 90 minute countdown to a rate change, and an arrow indicating whether the rate is going up or down.

What would be most useful is having devices connected to the smart meter so that they could know the current rate all by themselves and make decisions on when to run without me considering the time or having to manually set timers. This kind of service will be coming but I doubt any time soon.

I'll update again next month. I'm currently on yet another business trip so the usage profile will likely be very different with no EV usage for over half the month.
  • We are all-electric with an air source heat pump for CH & DHW. It's on 24/7 because the heat-up times are much longer than traditional forms of heating. I can programme it to go into an "eco-mode" (effectively drops the house temperature a little) for the peak hours of 4pm-7pm to avoid the highest tariff rates. Only a week since switching so too early to tell yet. I'll see how it is after a month or so..
  • edited February 22
    @Hooloovoo, in case you might be interested in lowering your bills for your EV, you might want to know that Bulb Labs is registering people a trial (in 2020) on the next generation of smart EV chargers. If you are interested, you can read more about it here.
  • If you find that the smart tariff doesn’t work for you can you switch back ?
  • @Deaflugs, at present I believe that with a Smart Meter you can switch between the standard single rate and smart tariff at will.
    Economy 7 is the only Bulb tariff which is not currently available with a Smart Meter.
  • Deaflugs said:

If you find that the smart tariff doesn’t work for you can you switch back ?

Yes, and not only that but your smart meter will retain smart functionality. So you'd go back onto vari-fair and still have automatic meter reads.
  • mowcius said:

@Deaflugs, at present I believe that with a Smart Meter you can switch between the standard single rate and smart tariff at will.
    Economy 7 is the only Bulb tariff which is not currently available with a Smart Meter.

Ooh - I was unaware that economy 7 is not an option via the smart meter.

Is this true?
  • Is this true?

Yes.

No technical reason, it's just something Bulb do not offer yet.
  • Hooloovoo said:

Is this true?

Yes.

No technical reason, it's just something Bulb do not offer yet.
    This removes the incentive for moving to a smart meter if you are already on economy 7 (unless you don't make use of the night rate as intended) as the current smart tarrif is more expensive unless I can avoid peak hour usage which would require some battery storage for this.

I would have thought the existing tariffs could be offered such that you could trial the smart tariff and switch back if you find it's not working without having to resort to changing the physical meters yet again.
  • This removes the incentive for moving to a smart meter if you are already on economy 7 (unless you don't make use of the night rate as intended) as the current smart tarrif is more expensive unless I can avoid peak hour usage which would require some battery storage for this.

I would have thought the existing tariffs could be offered such that you could trial the smart tariff and switch back if you find it's not working without having to resort to changing the physical meters yet again.

Agreed. I didn't say it made any sense :) Here's the current position on Smart E7. Bulb are just concentrating on getting the easy installations done for now, plus a selection of the more difficult smart tariff trial participants. Once it's all up and running I'm sure they'll be offering Smart E7 as well.

From the calculations I did from my usage last month, posted earlier in this thread, the smart tariff worked out only £1.14 cheaper than normal E7. I'd rather just be on E7 and not have to worry about peak rates. I don't quite do enough mileage to make best use of the lower night rate of the smart tariff over what is offered on E7.
  • edited February 22
    Hooloovoo said:

This removes the incentive for moving to a smart meter if you are already on economy 7 (unless you don't make use of the night rate as intended) as the current smart tarrif is more expensive unless I can avoid peak hour usage which would require some battery storage for this.

Agreed. I didn't say it made any sense :) Here's the current position on Smart E7. Bulb are just concentrating on getting the easy installations done for now, plus a selection of the more difficult smart tariff trial participants. Once it's all up and running I'm sure they'll be offering Smart E7 as well.

From the calculations I did from my usage last month, posted earlier in this thread, the smart tariff worked out only £1.14 cheaper than normal E7. I'd rather just be on E7 and not have to worry about peak rates. I don't quite do enough mileage to make best use of the lower night rate of the smart tariff over what is offered on E7.
    Thanks for the link to current position on economy 7 upon smart meter, I must have missed this, hopefully it will be enabled as a tariff available to smart meters soon.

Agreed about the smart tarrif, eco 7 is comparable (I find it cheaper due to solar + 2 evs) but without the hassle of the peak avoidance.

I will likely delay smart meter then until either the eco7 tarrif is available, or I can afford a small bit of storage to avoid the peak evening or if some sort of cheaper smart-tariff-with-economy-4 is offered.