Smart Meter data access provision etc. — Bulb Community

Smart Meter data access provision etc.

Hi, Hopefully someone will be able to answer the questions below in some detail (the more the better).

1. When SMETS2 meters are finally installed what will be the options for acquiring personal meter data for incorporation into other applications independently written. I do not wish to have yet another non-integrated piece of battery powered technology in the shape of the display units I have so far seen as they do nothing for me. I want access to the core data to manipulate on my own. I only require data output I do not require access for meter control - clearly that in itself would be a significant security risk. But at the end of the day it is actually MY data that is being collected and as such I should have unimpaired direct access to it. Is the data going to be completely inaccessible to customers except via one of these desktop mounted devices being shown currently?

2. What exactly will ALCS enable an end user to do? Anything or nothing? Will it be solely in the purview of the power companies?

3. I have an officially fitted and connected PV array that provides currently (no pun) zero option to integrate with other renewables or to charge a "Powerwall" or equivalent. The only options I have found so far for ANY excess generated PV power, are to sell it back to the grid which is basically far less economical since the paid tariff is significantly below the cost tariff. Is this correct - no option, except to sell excess energy back to the grid?

4. What options will be available for intelligently, automatically and flexibly switching on and off multiple different devices/circuits depending on solar power being generated at any one time? (This presupposes that realtime data is available to the customer for their own use as in 1. above).

I'm sure I shall have plenty more supplementary questions as this process rolls out. As a graduate Electrical and Electronic Engineer of over 40 years standing, I am, so far, hugely unimpressed with the range of options I have been able to establish to dater for the client side. The whole scheme seems to have been designed solely with power company and grid side benefits in mind, apart from the coincidental means of being able to sell the concept to the ordinary, non-technical user, via the display terminal shown in much of the advertising that no doubt will be at some additional cost.

Comments

• edited October 19

Hi, Hopefully someone will be able to answer the questions below in some detail (the more the better).

Ahh, another person looking for answers to the same questions as myself!

1. When SMETS2 meters are finally installed what will be the options for acquiring personal meter data for incorporation into other applications independently written. I do not wish to have yet another non-integrated piece of battery powered technology in the shape of the display units I have so far seen as they do nothing for me. I want access to the core data to manipulate on my own. I only require data output I do not require access for meter control - clearly that in itself would be a significant security risk. But at the end of the day it is actually MY data that is being collected and as such I should have unimpaired direct access to it. Is the data going to be completely inaccessible to customers except via one of these desktop mounted devices being shown currently?
    This depends firstly on which SMETS2 meters Bulb decides to install. In theory a user should be able to connect any Zigbee SE1.2 (hopefully) compatible HAN device to the meter to retreive data and do with it whatever they please.
    I'm personally planning to get one of these if I can.
    Bulb have previously stated that they will endeavour to give us as much access to data as they can so hopefully there should be no issues there.
    They are working on providing members access to data via their app at least and an API has been suggested numerous times (see here). This would only be able to give access to the half-hourly data though rather than the instantaneous data that would be possible to retreive directly from the meter itself.
    Page 18 of these slides might help clear a few things up:
    https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/sites/default/files/docs/2015/05/20150325_decc_smart_metering_0.pdf
    2. What exactly will ALCS enable an end user to do? Anything or nothing? Will it be solely in the purview of the power companies?
    I doubt that we'd have access to ontrol any ALCS outputs ourselves. It's suggested that the electricity suppliers could potentially use this functionality to automatically turn on and off devices to help balance grid demand, perhaps which the customer would be compensated for (grid connected battery storage for example).
    (See the above linked slides)
    3. I have an officially fitted and connected PV array that provides currently (no pun) zero option to integrate with other renewables or to charge a "Powerwall" or equivalent. The only options I have found so far for ANY excess generated PV power, are to sell it back to the grid which is basically far less economical since the paid tariff is significantly below the cost tariff. Is this correct - no option, except to sell excess energy back to the grid?
    I'm not quite sure what you're asking here. What options were you looking for? If it physically can't (in its current setup) charge battery storage, what else might you expect to be able to do aside from sell to the grid?
    4. What options will be available for intelligently, automatically and flexibly switching on and off multiple different devices/circuits depending on solar power being generated at any one time? (This presupposes that realtime data is available to the customer for their own use as in 1. above).
    This is likely mostly down to the solar setup that you have. A number of solar systems do come with some (typically) network connected hardware that can be used with external services to turn devices on/off.
    I suppose that the smart meters will tell you when you're exporting energy so you could turn devices on/off based on that, perhaps from a smart switch/plug that connects to the HAN.
    I'm sure I shall have plenty more supplementary questions as this process rolls out. As a graduate Electrical and Electronic Engineer of over 40 years standing, I am, so far, hugely unimpressed with the range of options I have been able to establish to dater for the client side. The whole scheme seems to have been designed solely with power company and grid side benefits in mind, apart from the coincidental means of being able to sell the concept to the ordinary, non-technical user, via the display terminal shown in much of the advertising that no doubt will be at some additional cost.
    I also have been rather unimpressed so far, also unfortunately by the response from Bulb when I've asked (multiple times) similar questions. Even less technical ones like which meters they're trialling/going to be installing seem to have fallen on deaf ears (again, multiple times).

Perhaps @Eleanor at Bulb or @Will at Bulb could finally provide at least a smidge of information to satisfy our cravings? I'd really like to not have to wait until the meter installer turns up at my door to know what is going to be stuck on my wall.
  • I too am interested in answers. I am not however interested in energy storage as my circumstances are not compatible, primarily as I probably use most of what is generated. Getting hold of the smart meter data is my main interest.