Smart meters — Bulb Community

Smart meters

I know all energy companies have stalled placeing smart meters into people’s homes, because, at the moment any company can read that information, but if you switch, your new provider will not be able to use the smart meter installed by your old provider!! Sounds crazy!!
I think if bulb gets the new updated meters fitted to existing customers faster, than other companies, they will keep more customers!!

Comments

• @John124, there still have been substantial delays caused by the DCC but if they get a large proportion of the SMETS2 rollout done by the middle of next year they will likely be doing considerable better than most suppliers anyway!
    Many suppliers are pressing on with an SMETS1 rollout using up equipment stock/hoping their customers don't understand the difference.
  • I suspect having a Smart meter will allow the companies to charge a much higher rate at peak times. They say it will help you save on your electric bill. I doubt it as I already switch everything off when not in use. All my solar generated power each day is used. Have you seen the proposed Smart charges for power from Build at peak time? Not for profit?
  • Peter_H

Out of interest re your comment "Smart charges for power from Build at peak time?

Is Build another energy supplier?

• I think @Peter_H is referring to Bulb's smart tariff https://bulb.co.uk/smart/ which has a high 'peak' rate between 4pm and 7pm.
    Have you seen the proposed Smart charges for power from Build at peak time? Not for profit?
    I'm in the East Midlands region, so let's have a look at the pricing:
    Single rate: 13.262p per kWh 24/7
    Economy 7: 15.383p per kWh Day / 8.201p per kWh Night [7 hours 23:00 -0700 typically)
    Smart Tariff: 12.18p off peak (7am to 4pm and 7pm to 11pm) / 30.78p per peak (4pm to 7pm), 8.20p overnight (11pm to 7am)

I can't find an hour-by-hour break down, but let's use data from https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/gas/retail-market/monitoring-data-and-statistics/typical-domestic-consumption-values - Medium usage of 3,100 kWh per year with 58% peak/42% off peak.

Single rate per year: £411.12 for 3100 kWh
    Economy 7: £276.58 for 1798 kWh peak, £106.77 for 1302 kWH off-peak = Total £383.35

For the smart tariff, the 7 hours overnight period is the same as off peak (luck in this circumstance) and the 3 hours peak rate comes out of the 17 hours normal rate. So let's assume the 1798 kWh OFGEM figure divided by 17 (105.764) is the average hourly usage no matter what time.

Smart Tariff Off Peak: (14 hours*105.764)=1480 kWh * 12.18= £180.34
    Smart Tariff Peak: (3 hours * 105.764)= 317.292 kWh * 30.78 = £97.66
    Smart Tariff Overnight: 1302 kWh = 8.02 = £104.42
    Total: £382.42

So, if you use OFGEM's averages and use exactly the same amount of power per hour during 'non-overnight' times, you'll save money on Economy 7 (£27.57) and a bit more on the smart tariff (total of £28.70).

However, if you use your solar panels during the 'off peak' smart tariff and have the power going into batteries which are then used during the 'peak distribution times' (i.e. when offices and shops are still open+using power, but more people are beginning to get home and drives up usage then), you'll be better off.

I honestly, especially since running these figures, don't think Bulb 'profits' from the Smart Tariff any more than their standard tariff, and the 'peak time rise' is mainly due to distribution costs outside their control (indeed, the 4pm-7pm peak window isn't Bulb specific - see https://theenergyst.com/businesses-shutting-down-from-4pm-7pm-due-to-peak-power-costs/ ).
  • Peter_H said:

I suspect having a Smart meter will allow the companies to charge a much higher rate at peak times. They say it will help you save on your electric bill. I doubt it as I already switch everything off when not in use. All my solar generated power each day is used. Have you seen the proposed Smart charges for power from Build at peak time? Not for profit?

Apparently from their trial, people's energy bills reduced by 20% on average so they're not exactly making more money off it if that's true.

• I thought recently that it had been reported that the average saving was just £11 per annum! They can keep their meter and as for it causing electrical interference, that is another question!
  • edited October 2018
    Peter_H said:

I thought recently that it had been reported that the average saving was just £11 per annum! They can keep their meter and as for it causing electrical interference, that is another question!

You're thinking of smart meters in general, not Bulb's Smart Tariff. I was responding to your comment regaring their Smart Tariff charges.

Do you mean electromagetic interference? They use Zigbee (to communicate with the IHD and other HAN devices) which operates on 2.4GHz, and also no doubt a 3G/4G mobile network connection. I'm not sure either of those would be typically called intereference as they're serving useful purposes.
    Admittedly 2.4GHz is also used for most WiFi connections and the Zigbee network could add a small amount of interference there, but it should be minimal. Bluetooth also runs on 2.4GHz, but most people would also consider that quite useful.
    Things like microwave ovens, wireless baby monitors and the ever popular Homeplug WiFi/Ethernet extenders are *far* bigger problems for WiFi.
  • Any 'small amount' of interference is unnecessary and add to the total noise levels in the RF spectrum.
  • @Peter_H, I understand what you're saying but with that view we should never use any wireless devices. The Zigbee HAN network is useful, in the same way that WiFi or mobile networks are useful.