Community page load times — Bulb Community

Community page load times

We've increased the number of discussions and comments per page from 30 to 100 on Community.

We think this will make searching for an answer or finding an interesting discussion much easier.

But it does make loading times a little longer.

Let us know what you think of increasing discussions per page.

Comments

• edited October 2018
    It is a little longer, but it's quite acceptable on my 12 year old slow XP * machine, so I can't see many people having a problem.
    * Note for @mowcius - it's being replaced next week. ;)
  • @Eleanor at Bulb, the new around 2MB load size for the "Recent Discussions" page seems perfectly reasonable.
    Personally I don't think it's made much of a difference though. You still get to the bottom of the page and are greeted with zero navigation controls.
    How has that issue not been fixed yet?
    On the recent threads page there are some navigation controls at the top of the page. "About Bulb", and "Everything but Bulb" are the same, but "Help & Support" is missing those as well so has absolutely none on the page.
    On a 1080p screen I still only get 9 threads per page which makes it pretty terrible to scroll through.

Happy the number of comments have been increased though. That was especially annoying as the navigation controls are also broken within threads, but here the bottom ones are fine and the top ones simply cannot be clicked.

@198kHz, are you moving to Windows Vista, or just Service Pack 3? :mrgreen:
    If you're finally upgrading, can you work some magic on Bulb to make them move to a 21st century forum platform? *cough* discourse *cough*
  • mowcius said:

@198kHz, are you moving to Windows Vista, or just Service Pack 3? :mrgreen:

Naughty, :'(

• Thanks @mowcius. I'm pinning down our new product manager to get some help fixing these page numbers.

@198kHz subtle hints there ;)

There are few features on Vanilla that we could add. Polling, tags, ideation lists. I'll be speaking to our tech team to see how they can help with this. I think with a bit of work, we can make this platform more dynamic. I'd love to see you guys creating more content too, what do you think?

Personally, I'd like more emojis :3
  • There are few features on Vanilla that we could add. Polling, tags, ideation lists. I'll be speaking to our tech team to see how they can help with this. I think with a bit of work, we can make this platform more dynamic. I'd love to see you guys creating more content too, what do you think?

Personally, I'd like more emojis :3

Personally I don't care particularly for polling, tags, ideation lists or emojis but I bet that an implementation of Discourse would take less time than adding these things on Vanilla and fixing the existing bugs.
  • edited October 2018
    I can perhaps see the benefits of polls for staff usage, but not for the 'normal users'. Tags could be useful depending on implementation (I can foresee some users just tagging everything to their post for attention, but it'll be good for staff/moderators/power-users to find/tag similar questions etc). Emojis - I'm not so keen on (and, in fact, I get slightly annoyed when I'm including a link as I tend to do 'colon dash' which prompts for emojis ).

I think closing threads/merging threads (how many smart meter threads do we need? and resurrection of months old threads should be stopped) etc could be helpful and improvements to flagging would be good (something like 'Contains personal information' / 'Should be highlighted to staff/contains complaint' / 'Urgent': again, perhaps restricted usage of the latter two to prevent abuse).

> I'd love to see you guys creating more content too, what do you think? <

I've got an idea for something about power consumption per item (have just last week purchased a 'power meter plug'), but it's just finding the time to do stuff with it (plus the fact if I write an article and stick it on my blog/Youtube, I get a bit of revenue whereas if I stick it here and...erm... )
  • Thanks @RichyB. All good thoughts.

Perhaps we could look at a rewards system for great community posts then. What do you think?

I'd love to hear more from our Community members!
  • I'd be wary of a 'rewards' system, which could lead to posting for all the wrong reasons.
    However, I do think that useful contributions should be recognised in some way - perhaps with a 'thanks' button with which an OP could express appreciation for an answer.
  • > I'd be wary of a 'rewards' system, which could lead to posting for all the wrong reasons.

Agreed, but if 'the community to create content' perhaps have an 'Ideas thread' where people can submit ideas/things they'd like to know etc. Other community members could then pick an idea 'create an article' for it (for the blog/for the forum etc) and then perhaps Bulb provides rewards for it upon publishing (if it meets their standards)?

Any sort of rewards scheme needs moderating/checking (especially if it's on 'bare numbers' - I can already foresee the quick response 'See FAQs/Me too!' style answers), but 'up voting/this resolved my question' voted posts could then be screened (stop things like sock-puppet accounts etc) by Bulb staff once a month and perhaps rewards sorted out there. But that's more staff time and cost and we want to keep things staff-light touched (for costs) to keep our own bills down...

I guess it comes down to what Bulb themselves 'want' out of the community aspect: I don't mind occasionally answer questions (it's a good 'diversion' whilst waiting for other things and keeps me away from the toxicity of social networks), but 'creating content' to me starts to go to the 'copywriter job' territory etc. I've written hundreds of help articles before, built troubleshooters/guides, done video tutorials, etc etc - but that's more than 5 minutes work than answering questions on a forum and so takes away from my 'paid work'.

IMHO, They definitely need more 'information' on the site (just today, I've used other suppliers sites to find Eco7 times, meter tolerances and something else - all to answer questions here) and ideally if that was on Bulb's site, I'd feel more confident in linking to it, Bulb would get more customers from people searching for it etc etc.
  • 198kHz said:

I'd be wary of a 'rewards' system, which could lead to posting for all the wrong reasons.
    However, I do think that useful contributions should be recognised in some way - perhaps with a 'thanks' button with which an OP could express appreciation for an answer.

@198kHz Cool idea with the thanks button. It would also help us recognise when a member's query is solved.

@RichyB I'd love for there to be an ideation board. This is something we could add to the current platform. Take a look and let us know what you think.

I'll start a discussion now on what Help Centre articles we should add. I agree that E7 should be up there.
  • Thanks @Eleanor at Bulb : I was wondering what an 'ideation board' was ;) Does look a good idea :D
  • @RichyB I'd love for there to be an ideation board. This is something we could add to the current platform. Take a look and let us know what you think.

This feature is only available on Vanilla Cloud
    I'd prefer things stayed in house and you didn't start paying for forum features by hosting it elsewhere.

Surely an ideation board is where Trello works nicely? It is after all designed for exactly that.

• edited October 2018
    Ouch - especially since 'Vanilla Cloud' starts at $689 per month - Discourse Business is only $300 per month and, to me, seems to offer more.

I'd prefer Trello to tbh, but then it's the 'too many different things' syndrome kicking in (and allowing people to add to it without allowing spammers may be tricky).
  • @mowcius the ideation would be helpful for us to manage as we're notified when there's a comment or discussion. Having it all in one place would be great. But if this is not something the majority of our members would be keen on, we can keep things as they are.
  • The ideation seems reasonable to me since hopefully it will catch a lot of suggestions in one place instead of over numerous posts.
  • edited October 2018

@mowcius the ideation would be helpful for us to manage as we're notified when there's a comment or discussion. Having it all in one place would be great. But if this is not something the majority of our members would be keen on, we can keep things as they are.

This tends to be my view:
    https://blog.discourse.org/2018/10/discourse-as-an-ideation-platform/

We shouldn't really be directly voting on things we like, rather Bulb should make sensible decisions on what to implement, possibly influenced by what people seem to want.
    the ideation would be helpful for us to manage as we're notified when there's a comment or discussion.
    This seems like a terrible waste of someone's time. Yeah someone should check in occasionally, but leave most of the disussion to the community members and then pick off the best bits. Don't invest hours in constant monitoring.

If someone at Bulb still gets a notification/ticket for every thread/comment on the forums here then I can imagine that's bad enough.
  • There's been lots of discussion about discourse @mowcius. We won't be moving across any time soon. We simply don't have the developers time for it. For now, I want to make what we've got better and easier to engage with.

We agree. We'll make the decisions based on Community feedback. Voting could be a nice touch for those who don't have their own idea but like other peoples. Always open to other suggestions though.

As for the page numbers, I've raised it as a bug again. I'll let you know when our developers get time to fix it.