https://www.smappee.com/uk (or others) worth it? — Bulb Community

https://www.smappee.com/uk (or others) worth it?

Looking for our warehouse unit, three phase with solar.
30,000 sqft.

Anyone got any expierience with these monitors or recommend something similar?

https://www.smappee.com/uk/

Comments

• Hi @VNS,

Looking at just the installation video for the single phase power monitor, it *looks* to just be a generic 'clamp power meter'. I did have one several years ago (I think it was provided by nPower) for residential usage, but never really found it that useful - and with smart meters coming out shortly (with in home displays), they'll be redundant.

Why didn't I find it useful? Well, it just gave whole home/building usage. So trying to see how much difference using a PC/leaving the TV on would make when had things like the fridge randomly 'starting up' etc etc was difficult. And if I just wanted 'average daily usage', I could just look at the meter anyway... If they did something similar which worked on each 'circuit' from the distribution board it might be more useful.

Smappee also appear to do a 'Smappee switch' which is just a plugin power meter with a remote switch (I've got a couple of plugin power meters - admittedly, they only have 'on screen display' and not wifi/bluetooth output - and I've also got a TPLink plugin Wifi switch which I can control from my phone/Google Home/Amazon Echo - so I can emulate most of the functionality already at around half the cost)...

It might be okay for convenience, but for technology (and I do call myself a technologist!), I also try and think of the 'use case' first - "if I was to get this, what problem would it be solving?'. The TPLink Wifi plug came in handy for the coffee machine as I could either turn it on from my bed or have it on a timer, but since I'm now only having 1 cup of coffee a day (via an Aeropress) instead of a pot, the plug hasn't been used in months.
  • RichyB said:

Hi @VNS,

Looking at just the installation video for the single phase power monitor, it *looks* to just be a generic 'clamp power meter'. I did have one several years ago (I think it was provided by nPower) for residential usage, but never really found it that useful - and with smart meters coming out shortly (with in home displays), they'll be redundant.

Why didn't I find it useful? Well, it just gave whole home/building usage. So trying to see how much difference using a PC/leaving the TV on would make when had things like the fridge randomly 'starting up' etc etc was difficult. And if I just wanted 'average daily usage', I could just look at the meter anyway... If they did something similar which worked on each 'circuit' from the distribution board it might be more useful.

Smappee also appear to do a 'Smappee switch' which is just a plugin power meter with a remote switch (I've got a couple of plugin power meters - admittedly, they only have 'on screen display' and not wifi/bluetooth output - and I've also got a TPLink plugin Wifi switch which I can control from my phone/Google Home/Amazon Echo - so I can emulate most of the functionality already at around half the cost)...

It might be okay for convenience, but for technology (and I do call myself a technologist!), I also try and think of the 'use case' first - "if I was to get this, what problem would it be solving?'. The TPLink Wifi plug came in handy for the coffee machine as I could either turn it on from my bed or have it on a timer, but since I'm now only having 1 cup of coffee a day (via an Aeropress) instead of a pot, the plug hasn't been used in months.

Thank you @RichyB .
    I don't care about the small devices, I care about the power hungry ones so I can look to replace sooner or manage them better.
    We use ~160mWh/year. Any percentage reduction on that would be useful. Lights are the biggest one we've tackled so far, but I want more!

I want usage and generation figures, so I can help plan our solar expansion. Too much and we spend too much just to feed the grid at our cost, too little and we don't make the most of the solar opportunity...