Smart meter update: all you need to know about Bulb and smart meters — Bulb Community

Smart meter update: all you need to know about Bulb and smart meters

edited February 6 in About Bulb
We recently launched our smart tariff test. This is a trial tariff for people with smart meters that can send readings to us every half hour.

Lots of you have asked questions about how and when you’ll be able to get a smart meter. It’s complicated, but we’ve answered the most common questions below. If you’ve not seen it yet, it’s also worth catching up with the backstory.

If you still have a burning question, join the discussion below and we’ll do our very best to answer.

When can I have a smart meter installed?
In short, most Bulb members will have the option to request and book in for a smart installation appointment at the start of 2019. We’ll be contacting everyone about smart meters throughout 2019 and 2020.

What’s happening in the meantime?
We want our members to have the best experience possible with their new smart meters. So we’re starting by testing SMETS2 meters with a portion of the Bulb team. We’re looking for a smooth installation experience regardless of the meter location: a low cupboard, a high wall, a flat or house with thick or thin walls. We’re looking for any recurring problems that we can fix before they reach you. And we want to make sure that we can communicate with the meters themselves in a reliable, secure way.

In December, we’ll be installing smart meters in a small selection of member homes. We’ll select members from our waiting list first, but we’ll filter for members in the locations with well-trained engineers.

So while it’s not an immediate rollout, and we know the wait is frustrating, rest assured that we’re working hard behind the scenes.

Can I be added to the smart trial list?
Yes. Just add your details to this quick form and we’ll be in touch when we start installing smart meters in your area.

Why has there been a delay?
Well documented, industry-wide problems have caused delays in both installation and testing.

In addition, there have been meter signal issues in some areas of the country. Suppliers are able to speak to smart meters through mobile networks. We found that mobile signal was too poor in some areas for smart meters to work. We’re working on this.

Will I get an In-Home-Display with my smart meter?
Yes, all new smart meters will come with an In-home Display (IHD). An IHD shows energy usage in terms of pounds and pence, in real time.

We think making energy use more visible will help people to change their energy habits for the better. It was interesting to see how this visibility coupled with our smart tariff worked for our small group of testers. Find out how they managed to save.

What brand of SMETS 2 meter will I get?
We’ll let you know as soon as we can. We’re not ready to announce the brand just yet, as we are still dotting the i’s and crossing the t’s.

We’ve carefully selected our partners to make sure that the meters are high quality and the In Home Displays (IHDs) are user-friendly.

I already have a smart meter, can you read it?
We’ve partnered with a company able to communicate with about one-third of SMETS1 (first generation) smart meters.

We’ll be contacting anyone whose meter we can read, starting with members who have applied to join the smart tariff. If we can’t read your SMETS1 meter now, we should be able to read it in the future. There’s a lot of government-mandated work to make SMETS1 data more accessible to energy suppliers. Once second-generation smart meters are up and running, there will also be the option to upgrade.

If you’ve signed up to the smart tariff and have a SMETS1 meter, we’ll be able to check whether we can read it within a couple of days. But in the beta phase of the smart tariff roll out you may need to bear with us while we find out, as we have had a lot of applications to the tariff.

Can I join the smart tariff trial?
Yes! It’s quick and easy to sign up. These are some things you should know:

The smart tariff only applies to electricity because gas costs don’t vary throughout the day in the same way.

The smart tariff is not currently available for prepayment meters. We’re working hard to make smart meters available for our prepayment members but have been facing technical difficulties. No supplier has been able to set up a functioning SMETS2 pay-as-you-go system yet. We want to address these issues as soon as we can.

All other members can apply for the tariff. If you have a smart meter and we can read it every half hour, we will sign you up right away. If we can’t read your smart meter then we will have to work on a fix for this issue.

If you don’t have a smart meter, when you apply for the tariff we will add you to our smart meter waiting list. Once it has been installed, we can automatically move you over to the smart tariff.

Can I access my smart meter data?
We’re making a number of changes to your Bulb Account so that you can view all of your smart meter data. Initially, this will be via charts and insights. Shortly after, we want to make your data available to you (and only you) via a CSV download and an API.

If you’re interested in accessing your data via an API we’d love to hear how and discuss our API design with you. Please get join the discussion below or send an email to hello@bulb.co.uk.

Comments

• there is no link to the smart trial form.
  • there is no link to the smart trial form.

Yes there is, it is under:

• edited October 2018
    Allanr said:

there is no link to the smart trial form.

Yes there is, it is under:

@Allanr that is about a the smart tariff trial not about the trial for the smart meters.

I am referring to

Can I be added to the smart trial list?
    Yes. Just add your details to this quick form and we’ll be in touch when we start installing smart meters in your area.
  • @JustSsavvy

OK, you did say "smart trial form", you should have said "smart meter trial form". The smart meter meter trial form can be found via this page: https://help.bulb.co.uk/hc/en-us/articles/115001232872-When-will-Bulb-roll-out-smart-meters-
  • That's @JustSsavvy. I've added the link :)
  • I'm a new member and just waiting for the switch to take place, I'm also on Economy 7. Would it be good for me to have a smart meter installed?
  • edited November 2018
    Hi @Jims_in.

If you'd like a time of use rate then we offer a smart tariff. In order to be on the smart tariff, you'll need a smart meter. You can sign up to the trail list here. Otherwise, you can keep your economy 7 meter as normal :)

The smart tariff only applies to electricity because gas costs don’t vary throughout the day in the same way.

The smart tariff is not currently available for prepayment meters. We’re working hard to make smart meters available for our prepayment members but have been facing technical difficulties. No supplier has been able to set up a functioning SMETS2 pay-as-you-go system yet. We want to address these issues as soon as we can.

All other members can apply for the tariff. If you have a smart meter and we can read it every half hour, we will sign you up right away. If we can’t read your smart meter then we will have to work on a fix for this issue.

If you don’t have a smart meter, when you apply for the tariff we will add you to our smart meter waiting list. Once it has been installed, we can automatically move you over to the smart tariff.

• edited November 2018
    I did sign up to the smart meter, but looking at the pricing I believe I will stay with the Economy 7 tariff. How do I remove my sign up? Or can I still have a smart meter to monitor the uses on Economy 7?
  • Hi @Jims_in. If you've signed up to the trial, we'll send you an email. You can let us know at this point that you don't want one.

We can fit you with an economy 7 in-home display too. If you would like one of these, you can stay on the list for now :)
  • Hi Eleanor. Thanks for the reply, yeah the in home display sounds good.
  • Can I access my smart meter data?
    We’re making a number of changes to your Bulb Account so that you can view all of your smart meter data. Initially, this will be via charts and insights. Shortly after, we want to make your data available to you (and only you) via a CSV download and an API.

I'm presuming that there are going to be no limitations placed on additional CADs being attached to the Smart Meter? I have no desire to get data through Bulb, I'd rather get it immediately and straight from the meter.
  • Can you o lige and confirm im signed up for the smart meter trial?
  • I have a smart meter, it recently started logging (my end again) so must have been updated a few weeks back or so.
    How can I get you to start using it?
    It would save me reading it.
  • Hi @Derek55. Yes, you are registered for the smart meter trail.

Hey @bsimmo, we'll be in touch when we know which meters we can read. If we cannot read yours, we'll need to install a second generation smart meter.

@mowcius, I'm just checking in with the smart team about this one for you.
  • bsimmo said:

I have a smart meter, it recently started logging (my end again) so must have been updated a few weeks back or so.

If you want to jump yourself to the top of the queue, you'll probably have to offer to change over to the smart tariff beta test.
  • edited November 2018
    mowcius said:

I'm presuming that there are going to be no limitations placed on additional CADs being attached to the Smart Meter? I have no desire to get data through Bulb, I'd rather get it immediately and straight from the meter.

+1 on pairing a CAD with my meter. While getting the half hourly data from Bulb with an API would be useful, it would be better still to be able to locally log the raw 10 second cadence data.
  • Hooloovoo said:

bsimmo said:

I have a smart meter, it recently started logging (my end again) so must have been updated a few weeks back or so.

If you want to jump yourself to the top of the queue, you'll probably have to offer to change over to the smart tariff beta test.
    Seems pointless jumping just to use a smart meter, why should I pay more. (With a family, who will be using it at peak and sleeping at night).
    I used to have Eco7, so know it works.
    Either they use the smart meter and get the info and can profile another customer or they don't and they keep estimating and relying on me.
  • bsimmo said:

Seems pointless jumping just to use a smart meter, why should I pay more. (With a family, who will be using it at peak and sleeping at night).

Yes obviously you would have to work out if the smart tariff would be beneficial for you.
  • What happens to the smart meter if I decide to switch suppliers?
  • Hi do you have smart meters?
  • Hi do you have smart meters?

I would suggest you read the first post of the thread you've just posted on!
  • @GWR_steam_33 If the other supplier is able to read 2nd generation smart meters it still should work!
  • I tried to sign up to the Smart Tariff, but was told that you can't read my meter. I do already have a generation 2 meter. The WAN light is flashing amber so I don't think it's transmitting data to anyone. Are you able to send someone out to have a look? I have made a support case. I am really quite desperate to switch to a smart tariff as I have electric underfloor heating, being able to turn it on off peak will probably more than halve my bills...
  • @RichTeaBiscuit, out of interest which SMETS2 meter do you have?
  • It's almost February now, any chance we can get an update from Bulb on how the trials have been going?
  • @MorgenBlue, I have been reliably informed that a blog post is coming very soon
  • Any update on this? I’ve got a plug-in hybrid coming soon that’ll spend most of its time as an EV, so moving to the new tariffs available for smart meters will save me a lot.
  • @Tomd1984

Yes, I've just posted an update about Bulb and smart meters.

Let us know if you have any further questions.
  • Thanks Eleanor, clears things up nicely.
  • Sorry if this has been asked before, I was wondering if as well as smart meters, if the info could be shown on an app? This way, you could manage your energy where ever you are. Again, appologies if this has already been asked.
  • @Nawtygrandad

I've written about our plans for the usage graphs on this thread. Whilst they're not on the app right now, we'll be building them into the app.
  • had these 2 smets2 meters installed by sse a month ago, Landis&Gyr E470-672, Landis&Gyr E470-5394, switching to you and want to check if youll be able to read them ok ?