About me: Harry, developer at Bulb — Bulb Community

About me: Harry, developer at Bulb

I'm Harry and I'm a software engineer. I've been at Bulb for about 6 months.

In my previous life, dispite having started to teach myself to code while at university, I worked in the world of finance for the first few years of my career before making the jump and working for a number of tech startups.

At Bulb we work in cross-functional teams we call "Pods" meaning we have a varirty of different roles from designers, testers, researchers and engineers working closely together.

I'm part of the "Member Pod" who are responsible for the Bulb Account website and mobile app. Our mission is to make it easy and intuitive for our members (you) to manage your Bulb account. This could involve submitting meter readings, viewing your statements or managing payment settings.

Recently I've been working on a feature that allows our ex-members, or those with no recurring payment method set up, to top up their accounts with a one-off payment. I'm also working on some improvements to the payments and statements pages adding suggestions for helpful actions our members could take to best keep their account shipshape.

What I like about working at Bulb

There are countless interesting challenges to solve especially with the rapidly changing face of the energy industry. The growth in the use of electric vehicles, renewable energy, widespread smart metering and battery storage needs some really clever tech to bring it all together and make the most of these developments.

In my free time I enjoy travelling to places where there are mountains and, depending on the season, skiing down them or cycling up them.

Comments

• Hi @Harry at Bulb - out of interest (as a fellow software dev), what does the Bulb backend run on? I know you use GraphQL, React on the front end and are hosted on Google, but could you tell us anything else about the technology stack/tooling or your methods of working?

From your description, you do seem to be orientated around the payments side (with Stripe etc), but do you ever get involved with other integrations (such as that 'independent third party meter verification/switching' company')?
  • Hey @RichyB. Most of our backend consists of Node microservices written in TypeScript. Not only does it allow us to get new services online very quickly but it means most of the engineers can be effective across the stack.

As far as getting involved with other integrations, I haven't had the pleasure yet of working with any third party meter verification companies yet. But I and the other enginners at Bulb do manage to get involved in a wide variety of projects.
  • I'm part of the "Member Pod" who are responsible for the Bulb Account website and mobile app. Our mission is to make it easy and intuitive for our members (you) to manage your Bulb account. This could involve submitting meter readings, viewing your statements or managing payment settings.

So can I blame you for the energy usage graph being broken for economy 7 members when I reported it a year ago???

Only teasing... But maybe some insight into that issue would be nice.
  • @katherine244

I think you might find Ana's recent blog post about bugs and how we fix them interesting!

A JIRA ticket was raised about the E7 usage graph issues (you'll get what I mean when you've had a read).

With the changes, we should be able better equipped to prioritise bugs in the future.

• @katherine244

I think you might find Ana's recent blog post about bugs and how we fix them interesting!

A JIRA ticket was raised about the E7 usage graph issues (you'll get what I mean when you've had a read).

With the changes, we should be able better equipped to prioritise bugs in the future.

I use Jira at work so I get that but it doesn't give any insight as to why this particular issue hasn't seen any movement.
  • Hi @katherine244, as Eleanor was saying, we take a few factors into account when deciding which bugs to fix first, like how many members are affected. Our product managers then have the job of scheduling time for bug fixes along with the new features that we're working on. So most times if something isn't getting fixed it's simply because other things were prioritised over it.

And a bit of insight into one of the reasons this bug has been around for a particularly long time: we're hoping to completely rebuild the Bulb Account usage graph soon. The Smart Pod will be working on a way to have a graph that is useful for smart meters but at the same time is a great experience for all other types of meters (including E7). We'd love your feedback on it when it's complete!
  • Hi @katherine244, as Eleanor was saying, we take a few factors into account when deciding which bugs to fix first, like how many members are affected. Our product managers then have the job of scheduling time for bug fixes along with the new features that we're working on. So most times if something isn't getting fixed it's simply because other things were prioritised over it.

And a bit of insight into one of the reasons this bug has been around for a particularly long time: we're hoping to completely rebuild the Bulb Account usage graph soon. The Smart Pod will be working on a way to have a graph that is useful for smart meters but at the same time is a great experience for all other types of meters (including E7). We'd love your feedback on it when it's complete!

I'm glad to hear something is being done, but I wish something was said before or a note was put on the graph page for E7 accounts saying it's inaccurate. Looking forward to the new graphing system.