Energy efficiency questions — Bulb Community

Energy efficiency questions

Is it more efficient and economical to keep the house at a constant temperature rather than alter the thermostat up and down as the temperature changes ? Is it cheaper to turn off a radiator altogether?

Comments

• interested to hear the responses, it is something I have always wondered.
  • I would like a solid answer to this as well.
  • I don't know the answer to your queries but surely it depends on a number of factors to give a reasoned answer.

Some which quickly come to mind and perhaps are a bit simplistic on my part..

1. How many hours is the house occupied. It seems pointless keeping the house at an even temperature for 24 hours per day when you are for example not at home for say 12 hours each day.

2. If you don't use a room which is closed off from the rest of the house, why bother to heat it so switching off the radiator seems reasonable.

3. If you have a thermostat why would you need to alter it as the ambient temperature changes?. Lets say you find 19 degrees is a comfortable temperature and you set this on your thermostat, then it will switch the boiler on and off to try and retain the ambient temperature of 19 degrees.