Why has my DD increased? — Bulb Community

Why has my DD increased?

edited November 9 in About Bulb
I have £365 in credit and pay £120 a month you’ve just written to me putting up my DD to £226 !! What a joke I will not be paying that as my bill last month was under £70. I will be considering a switch if this poor practice continues

Comments

• Go to your account and change the direct debit to an amount that is in line with your usage .

Go to Your account...then... `Account tariff & information` ................easily sorted.
  • @Jason69 if you have a look at this post there is a discussion on how payment increase recommendations are calculated by bulb. (https://community.bulb.co.uk/discussion/6639/frequently-asked-questions#latest)
  • @JustSsavvy

Regardless of the link information it is totally unrealistic for a customer who has a credit of £365 and currently pays £120 per month to be requested to up the DD to £226. I have said on a number of threads (even the link you posted) there is flaw in the calculation process.

I know all about increased use during the winter and trying to set DD payments so that it balances over a year, but it would be better public relations if customers were only asked to increase their DD if their credit was down to a certain level.

• @Allanr

While your assuming the customer has not increased fuel usage by that much. There has been no mention about the calculated annual usage by bulb which, a customer get obtain easily and do the calculations to compare the email recommendation and the formula in the post, to then be able to make a decision about payment increase.
  • JustSsavvy

I don't have to assume any increased energy use, pure logic decrees that a credit of £360 will be sufficient for a number of months even for a high usage customer, taking into account the monthly DD is also fairly high at: £120 per month.

I should mention I'm a big fan of Bulb. I keep my own spreadsheet and personally I can easily keep tabs on my account and regulate my DD payments using my own actual past 12 months annual usage and applying the current unit costs.

My earlier comment is that Bulb need to provide the basis for any DD increase. This presumable would be extremely useful to those customers who have no interest in keeping their own spreadsheet. Something simple such as:

1. Credit (or debit) = £B

2 Estimated energy usage in kWh for next 12 months.

3. This works out to be £A per year (show actual calculation)

3. Annual cost after taking into account credit (or debit) = £A - £B

4 Monthly cost = (£A - £B)/12

This is the suggested month DD
  • @Allanr @Jason69 @JustSsavvy

I've just left a comment on a similar thread, explaining how the payment process works.

We want to be transparent as we can. We've listened to your feedback are no longer suggesting a payment review to member's whose accounts are in more than two months credit.

Let me know if you've still got any questions.

• @Eleanor at Bulb

Picked up your other excellent news on the other thread, and also the fact you are now no longer suggesting a payment review for those with more than 2 months credit is also good news.
  • We need our member's feedback, whether it's good or bad. It means we can focus on making and communicating our products that our members want :)
  • I was also sent a notice that as prices were going up, my usage would cost me more based on what I had used in the past year.
    For me I was just a little in credit (£20) so I told them to up my monthly deduction by the increased amount.
    Over the coming months I shall monitor my usage based on my submitted monthly readings, and the new amount deducted from my bank. If over the winter period it is shown I am having too much taken cash-wise set against my actual usage charge, I will ask bulb to reduce the money taken from the bank each month....Anyway this is my hope it would work out that way.
    With bulb, so far so good with everything.
  • Hi @Chris3

:3 I'm glad to hear that you're happy with Bulb.

To keep things shipshape, it's best to enter your meter readings when we send you a reminder. This is sent just a few days before your monthly statement.

You can also change your direct debit in your Bulb Account. Just head to "payments and statements" > "payment settings".
  • Chris3 said:

I will ask bulb to reduce the money taken from the bank each month.

Not sure if you realise you can amend your DD via your account dashboard?

• Hi Allanr
    Never sure myself until I have to do the thing :-) but most times I ring them up for all my queries or changes... I even give my meter readings over the phone and get them to tell me they have it down.....mind you for all I know he/she are just writing it in on the site anyway, but it's nice to say hello.
  • Chris3

Never had need to personally contact the Bulb team, perhaps because nothing has gone wrong.

Its easy peasy to amend your DD, you need to go to your "Account & tariff info" at: https://account.bulb.co.uk/dashboard/personal-details. and then select "Edit payments setting".

Submitting meter readings automatically is just as easy, there are several ways of doing this but generally I do it via the "Energy usage" page at: https://account.bulb.co.uk/dashboard/usage

Quite soon after you submit the reading you will receive an email notification to say it was accepted, plus you can readily check it appears in the "Meter Reading" list on the "Energy usage" page.

• Hi @Chris3

:3 I'm glad to hear that you're happy with Bulb.

To keep things shipshape, it's best to enter your meter readings when we send you a reminder. This is sent just a few days before your monthly statement.

You can also change your direct debit in your Bulb Account. Just head to "payments and statements" >

Is there a limit to, or a recommended amount of times to submit meter readings?

• @Bulb_a_customer said:
    Is there a limit to, or a recommended amount of times to submit meter readings?

Bulb's terms require readings every 90 days as a minimum.
    To ensure that statements are not estimated, it's recommended that readings are submitted two or three days before the monthly billing date - you should get a reminder email.
    I'm not aware of any limit. Personally I submit every Sunday, unless it's within a few days of the billing date.
  • I guess if a company is very much site based all what is put in the readings is acted upon. I know I wrote about this elsewhere but forgive me if I repeat.... When I started bulb I thought estimates were a calculated guess, and me putting readings in regularly each month would just keep pulling them in line, but extra estermated amounts kept being added along the way.... So in time I was assured if I got my entries in on certian dates (of-cause now on the notification/bills) all would be well.
    My last reading went in 2 days before they used the readings to price my usage, and on receivind that months usage notification there was my reasding, great, but still a set of estermater readings with them.... I have now been assured by bulb the next month on will only show my readings if entered on the times they state..I now wait to see.
  • @Chris3

To avoid an estimated reading your actual meter reading should be submitted to Bulb a day or so before the statement is prepared otherwise the statement will be based on an estimated reading.

If you submit your reading to early the estimated reading will include an estimate of energy used between when you sent in your reading and the statement date.