Ceramic Core Radiators — Bulb Community

Ceramic Core Radiators

edited November 2018 in Everything but Bulb
Has anyone got the ceramic core type of radiators please?
Tia

Comments

• Don't bother. all electric resistance heaters are by definition practically 100 percent efficient. If you put £1 worth of electricity into a £20 Argos convection heater you get exactly the same amount of heat out as you would if you put the same amount of energy into a £1000 German engineered ceramic radiator. Their marketing claims are at best dubious and they have in fact been warned in the past for making misleading claims. if you have gas central heating, keep it, gas is still the cheapest form of space heating. If you have to have electric radiators bog standard off the shelf panel heaters or convectors will use no more energy. The only possible argument for ceramic cores is that they retail a certain amount of heat so continue to emit for a while after being switched off, so you may feel slightly warmer for longer- but this is still heat you have paid for. Conversely, they also take longer to warm up, so there is no overall benefit.
  • Thank you so much for your reply Ed1178.
    I had these fitted unfortunately in July this year, and have a horrendous bill!
    I changed from my storage heaters as two had broken down in January last year, and was told by an electrician, they were unrepairable, hence, l looked for alternative heating, as I was never happy with the storage heaters. I am in my late sixties and home most of the time. During the day I was too warm and the evening I was cold, and had to use a back up electric heater on the very cold evenings.
    I had seen these ceramic heaters on a shopping channel and decided to get a quote.
    That particular company quoted me just under £18k!! They even offered me reduced energy with their own energy company.
    I decided to look for more suppliers and get other quotes for my 3 bedroomed apartment. I invited four other companies to come and give me quotes.
    These quotes ranged between £7k & £12k
    I decided to go with the middle one which was just under £9k. I eventually got the down to just under £8k.
    My monthly direct debit ranged from £131 when I joined Bulb per month to £180 per month with other energy companies I have been with in the last 7 years when I used the storage heaters. A lot of money to be paying each month for being cold in the evenings.
    For the first month my bill from 16th Sepember to 16th October using these radiators with Bulb energy was £129. I only put 2 on in the lounge and 1 in my bedroom for approximately 2 hrs on the cold mornings and 1 in my bedroom for an hour sometimes 2 in my bedroom when taking a shower.
    In the evening, I used 2 in my lounge only for approximately 3 hours a few times a week when it was cold.
    This last month October 16th to November 16th the bill was £230!
    I did use 3 radiators in the lounge most mornings in my lounge, 1 in my bedroom and also a small one in my ensuite most morning for maybe 5 hours in the lounge as when I got up (6.am) my lounge was reading between 17 and as low as 14 degrees. I did not use the bedroom and ensuite in the evening at all during both months.
    My home is not comfortable with only these radiators on in the evening and when they are off during the day until 6ish in the evening I am cold and have to put extra layers of clothing on.
    I was promised by NEHC the heating company I bought them from that I would save between 40 & 50 % on my electricity bills.
    I have tried to contact this company and have found out that they were using a false company registration number on their Quote and are now on the missing list, as I or my son's, and a lawyer friend, have not been able to contact any of their numbers, and have had no replies from a recorded delivery letter I wrote to them along with many unanswered emails. I now will be cold all winter, as I have no money to replace them with the latest dimplex Quantam storage heaters.
    My son's had paid for the said ceramic radiators for me between them.
    There is a lot more to this, which I have not mentioned.
    Thank you again for your reply and hopefully others who read this will not entertain using this company or other companies misleading us all into buying them.
    NB
    Other core fillings I was told of from other companies were volcanic, clay and something else I cannot remember at the moment!
    DO NOT BE FOOLED AS I HAVE BEEN

• Very sorry to hear your story. As you've found, electricity can be a very expensive way to heat a property.

I presume the property does not have mains gas supply, otherwise you've have had a conventional gas central heating system installed. You would probably have been much better off with an electric air source heat pump, either air to air, or air to water with new appropriately sized radiators for low flow temperature. That would almost certainly have worked out cheaper to run than a more or less direct replacement for storage heaters.

Are you on an Economy-7 tariff? If not it could well be worth looking into. You'd pay slightly more for electricity during the day, but considerably less over night when your radiators are charging up.

As it happens, just last week I had some junk mail through my letter box advertising these sorts of radiators, and also including a certain amount of free electricity providing you switched to their electricity company. I forget the name of the company because it went straight in the recycling. Safe to say, anything you see on a shopping channel or in junk mail isn't worth your time or money.
  • Thank you for your reply Hooloovoo.
    The company are Fischer heating that came through your letterbox and I saw on Ideal World, they were the company that quoted me Just under £19k I made a mistake and put £18k.
    No I do not have access to gas, as you said.
    I would be most interested to know where I can look into the pump system air to air or air to water. Please could you send me a link? My email is anneloeber@btinternet .com or In a reply to this.
    Many thanks for your valued relpy.

Anne
  • edited November 2018
    Annieloe said:

The company are Fischer heating that came through your letterbox

Yes! That's who it was.
    Annieloe said:

I would be most interested to know where I can look into the pump system air to air or air to water. Please could you send me a link?Anne

I'm afraid I don't know much about them myself, other than what I've already posted. As we migrate away from gas and fossil fuels, we'll need to switch to electric heating powered from renewable energy supplies such as solar, wind, etc. A heat pump system is likely to be the most economical way of achieving this. But they have to be correctly sized and installed, otherwise they can easily cost way more to run than an equivalent gas heating system.

Here's a few links from a quick Google search:

http://www.energysavingtrust.org.uk/renewable-energy/heat/air-source-heat-pumps
    https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/ground-and-air-source-heat-pumps/article/air-source-heat-pumps-explained
    https://www.greenmatch.co.uk/heat-pump/air-to-water-heat-pump
  • I am not clued up on heating types other than elec tends to be more expensive.
    Have you looked at LPG gas.
    https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/home-heating-systems/article/home-heating-systems/lpg-central-heating
  • Hi Scudo,

Thanks for your reply and LPG link.
    I am not allowed LPG
    Due to living in a block of flats.
    Thanks though for your help.
    Anne
  • Hooloovoo said:

Annieloe said:

The company are Fischer heating that came through your letterbox

Yes! That's who it was.
    Annieloe said:

I would be most interested to know where I can look into the pump system air to air or air to water. Please could you send me a link?Anne

I'm afraid I don't know much about them myself, other than what I've already posted. As we migrate away from gas and fossil fuels, we'll need to switch to electric heating powered from renewable energy supplies such as solar, wind, etc. A heat pump system is likely to be the most economical way of achieving this. But they have to be correctly sized and installed, otherwise they can easily cost way more to run than an equivalent gas heating system.

Here's a few links from a quick Google search:

http://www.energysavingtrust.org.uk/renewable-energy/heat/air-source-heat-pumps
    https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/ground-and-air-source-heat-pumps/article/air-source-heat-pumps-explained
    https://www.greenmatch.co.uk/heat-pump/air-to-water-heat-pump
  • Thank you Hooloovoo
    I have read all your links, and have emailed a company for further details.
    I will let you know what they say when I get a reply.

Kind regards,
    Anne
  • Hooloovoo said:

Very sorry to hear your story. As you've found, electricity can be a very expensive way to heat a property.

I presume the property does not have mains gas supply, otherwise you've have had a conventional gas central heating system installed. You would probably have been much better off with an electric air source heat pump, either air to air, or air to water with new appropriately sized radiators for low flow temperature. That would almost certainly have worked out cheaper to run than a more or less direct replacement for storage heaters.

Are you on an Economy-7 tariff? If not it could well be worth looking into. You'd pay slightly more for electricity during the day, but considerably less over night when your radiators are charging up.

As it happens, just last week I had some junk mail through my letter box advertising these sorts of radiators, and also including a certain amount of free electricity providing you switched to their electricity company. I forget the name of the company because it went straight in the recycling. Safe to say, anything you see on a shopping channel or in junk mail isn't worth your time or money.

Hooloovoo said:

Very sorry to hear your story. As you've found, electricity can be a very expensive way to heat a property.

Unfortunately economy seven tariffs will not benefit users of Fischer radiators. They are not traditional style heat storage units- they do not charge overnight for later release. The ceramic core is in my opinion nothing more than pseudo science and a marketing gimmick, it does the same job that the oil in oil filled radiators does, it just conveys the heat evenly to the surface of the radiator. Fischer have already been pulled up at least once by the ASA for making misleading claims. I dread to think how many little old ladies have been ripped off by them, and no way can't afford to heat their homes. They seem to suggest that the unicorn droppings or whatever magical material is inside their radiators has the ability to break the laws of physics. Obviously, it doesn't.

• Well for sure, here’s one that’s been ripped off Hooloovoo!
    I have looked into the air pump system, emailed a couple of companies who portray to fit this type of heating, but I have not received any replies to my enquiries.
    I am at the moment leaving the heaters on in the main lounge set at 19.5 deg just to keep the chill off, and using a throw and 2 hot water bottles in the evening. I’ve done this for the last two days, and only put my bedroom on for two hours in the morning so I can have a shower, fortunately the last couple of days the weather has been quite mild.
    I really don’t know what else I can do at the moment, as I have no money to replace the heating.
    I don’t seem to be getting anywhere, and as the suppliers of the heating are nowhere to be found, I cannot see a way forward!

Thanks again for your suggestions.

Anne
  • Annieloe, In the short term until you get something sorted would it not be cheaper to turn the heaters off and buy a cheap halogen heater, that way you would get instant heat and where you are sitting in the evening. It may be cheaper than your current set up.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=halogen+heater&index=aps&tag=googhydr-21&ref=pd_sl_6zysqbptcl_e&adgrpid=52766283506&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=259084267825&hvpos=1t1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=8593125762318698055&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1007406&hvtargid=kwd-298561231585
  • Hi thanks for your comments regarding a halogen heater.
    My lounge is very large with high vaulted ceilings and I have windows on three of the walls, including a double glass sliding door to the balcony which is on the third floor and open to the outside elements, what I mean is being on the top floor, my balcony is completely uncovered.
    I’m really not sure I’m explaining myself very well.
    I have tried a couple of halogen heaters a few years ago in the winter, as I had a problem with my heating, which blew the fuse box completelyand also the meter in the meter cupboard down the bottom floor of the bock and had to be repaired from outside the building, due to the builders/architect didn’t allow for my apartment to have all my heating on at once (6of the 7 storage heaters) by restricting the input into the apartments.
    I do have a large apartment, which is twice maybe three times larger in area than all the other apartments in my block.
    The halogen heaters barely took the chill off.
    This was when the weather was well below freezing for several days one December in 2010 (I think).
    It only allowed me to have 5 heaters on at any one time, 4 large and 1 small one in the hall.
    I really am at my whitts end with it all.
    I could go on about having to change my heating three times prior to this and at my own expense, but it really upsets me.
    However, thanks so much again for your suggestions.
    Anne
  • Ed1178 said:

Unfortunately economy seven tariffs will not benefit users of Fischer radiators. They are not traditional style heat storage units- they do not charge overnight for later release. The ceramic core is in my opinion nothing more than pseudo science and a marketing gimmick, it does the same job that the oil in oil filled radiators does, it just conveys the heat evenly to the surface of the radiator. Fischer have already been pulled up at least once by the ASA for making misleading claims. I dread to think how many little old ladies have been ripped off by them, and no way can't afford to heat their homes. They seem to suggest that the unicorn droppings or whatever magical material is inside their radiators has the ability to break the laws of physics. Obviously, it doesn't.

Thanks for the correction. With all the problems @Annieloe is having, it sounds like she would have been better off putting all that money towards moving house!

That sounds like a large, and particularly difficult to heat, apartment. High ceilings are a killer for trying to get heat to stay where it's wanted.
  • Annieloe said:

Well for sure, here’s one that’s been ripped off Hooloovoo!
    I have looked into the air pump system, emailed a couple of companies who portray to fit this type of heating, but I have not received any replies to my enquiries.
    I am at the moment leaving the heaters on in the main lounge set at 19.5 deg just to keep the chill off, and using a throw and 2 hot water bottles in the evening. I’ve done this for the last two days, and only put my bedroom on for two hours in the morning so I can have a shower, fortunately the last couple of days the weather has been quite mild.
    I really don’t know what else I can do at the moment, as I have no money to replace the heating.
    I don’t seem to be getting anywhere, and as the suppliers of the heating are nowhere to be found, I cannot see a way forward!

Thanks again for your suggestions.

Anne

Did you by any chance pay for the new heating on a credit card? If so there might be a possibility of a claim against the credit card company if the products they funded are not fit for purpose. It's probably a long shot but sounds like you have few options.

An electric blanket may help in the short term, they cost pennies to run and I find that it's amazing what one can put up with if you have a warm bed waiting at the end of the day!
  • Further to my last post, I assume you have taken all reasonably practical steps to reduce heat loss from the property? If you are stuck with expensive to run heating systems then it makes even more sense than usual to eliminate drafts and insulate as much as possible.

If you have an accessible loft space (perhaps not, being an apartment with vaulted ceilings?) make sure there is a good depth of insulation. Ensure all windows and doors are fitted with proper draft proofing- it's very cheap, DIY friendly and effective. If you don't have double glazing cheap window films are quite effective although not very attractive. For a longer term solution you can order clear acrylic panels that magnetically attach to your existing window frames, they will cost more but are massively cheaper than replacement windows and apparently quite effective. They can be removed and stored under a bed when not needed in the summer. Thick curtain lining can also help, and again is cheap and an easy DIY job.

Obviously don't heat the rooms you don't need, stick a good old fashioned draft excluder along the bottom of the door to any unheated space. Make sure any unused chimneys are sealed, but do ensure a small amount of ventilation to prevent damp issues inside them.

I'm sure you are well aware of most of these measures and many more besides, but it never hurts to have a walk around ones home and look for anything that could be improved. I put off replacing a very large loft hatch in my home when I first moved in- it was made from MDF and had sagged, leaving a fairly wide visible gap around most of the edge. Two years later I got around to making a new one at a cost of about £10 for materials, only to find my gas consumption immediately dropped significantly. The whole house stayed much warmer for longer too, without the chimney effect that had been previously allowed by the knackered hatch.